Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #6 – The Spartan Army» Forums » General

Subject: Duplicate battles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just noticed that the following battles of Exp 6 already existed in previous modules :

- Palatea (479 BC)
- Leuctra (371 BC)
- Mantinea (362 BC) (in addition to the 418 BC Mantinea)

They are adapted to include the Hoplite rules, and the set ups are slightly modified.

Could someone give some input about the way the old scenarios were adapted?

Should one consider that the first designs of those battles are obsolete and the Sparta expansion's ones are the norm from now on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robin, I had already given some hints when I wrote the "scenario preview":

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/709063/a-preview-of-the-scen...

As to how they were adapted, I don't know the details. I guess RB wanted to introduce those hoplites in the most important early battles of Exp#1, and he did with some minor changes. BTW, someone has asked on CSW if Marathon should not be "improved" with the new hoplites too, maybe RB/GMT should suggest how.

I had suggested a more in depth redesign of Leuctra and Mantinea, including a new mechanic for the Deep Theban phalanx, that would have created alternate versions of the existing scenarios, so that people would have been able to play both, different versions (like the two official versions of Adrianople in C3i). But RB didn't want to introduce many changes at once, so he just added the new blocks and I guess adjusted the hands and who moves first for balance.

I have replaced these three battles in my chronological file with the new ones, and marked them with an asterisk to show that the total scenario number of Exp#1+6 is 44 (21+23 or 18+26). I think that the owners of Exp#6 will play the new ones from now on, but nothing prevents the owners of Exp#1 only to play and enjoy the old versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Miguel, for your answer to my question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.