Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Con of the North - UDV/ZackStack BoardGame Extravaganza - new stuff! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we are very fast approaching this years Con of the North, and I am super excited to be running the BoardGame room with all the other GM's. I think we are going to have a wide selection of games that should be able to please all sorts of interests. The "filler" portion might be a little weak, but that shouldn't be that big of a deal. However, this is just going over old territory, so let's talk new stuff.

Giveaways!

I have been contacted by a couple of people asking if it would be cool to have some sort of game giveaways/door prizes. I realized I have a ton of games that are cluttering my shelves and I could give a few of them away myself. If you are going to be GM'ing at the UDV/ZSBE (cool acronym huh?) please consider grabbing a couple of games to throw at someone that happens to pop in to play something. There doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason to it, but I plan on giving some of mine away for people who win games of Eclipse. Note: you do NOT have to bring any games to giveaway - it is just a thought.

My Family!

There is a good chance that the entire Myxter clan will be making it this year, which is cool since a lot of you who I consider my friends will get to meet my daughter and my son. This does, however, mean I might be taking off for a little bit on Saturday afternoon to take my little girl to the aquarium at the Mall of America. If I do this, I will try to bring Big Macs back for everyone.

Times of our Event!

My plan is to have this going as soon as the events open on Friday and not shutting down until they roll up the hallways each night. I have no idea how well this will work - we may end up just playing it by ear - but I truly think that this could be one of the most popular events of the weekend.

Special Note to GM's!

I have no problem if you have signed up for events, just please let me know when you will not be available. Other than the possible Saturday afternoon absence, I plan on being in that room come hell or high water, and while I do not expect that out of each of you, I would appreciate as much dedication to the event as possible.

Not much else I can think of other than a few suggestions/hints I have thought of/read on running an event of this type.

1. If you are bringing games, make sure you have some sort of carrier to lug them around. I plan on bring a couple of giant plastic tubs and a dolly. Plan on bringing your games back to your room with you at night because as cool as everyone is at the convention, it is an open air type of thing, and you never know who is going to be wandering around.

2. This shouldn't be that big of a deal for hardcore boardgamers, but take some time before you come to the convention to get some ziploc baggies (go to a craft store and buy some smaller ones if you like) and bag up the components of your games so they will be easier to setup and put away after each game. If you are lucky enough to have some "Magic Tape", use that to hold your cards together.

3. Practice being patient! It is quite likely you are going to have a few people who will interrupt you, try to take over the teaching, not paying attention, a young child with little to any supervision, etc. Remember - you are here to teach the boardgames that you love and promote the hobby! If you get anyone who is truly despicable that you cannot handle, let me know, and I will talk to the people in question. I truly feel like this will NOT be a problem in the slightest.

4. That being said - know the rules of the games you are bringing as well as you possible can. This is something I NEED to do for sure. It is a lot to know each and every rule of every game, so make sure you have the rulebook handy so you can look something up if need be. Also, try not to bring something along that you know in your heart you don't have a firm grasp of.

5. Snacks! Buy them at home and bring them with you! The random snacks they have available at the convention suck big time. Bring water, soda, crackers, chips, etc. I plan on bringing a cooler with me so we can keep everything on ice and have it available at all times. If one of you wants to bring one feel free!

6. I fully plan on grabbing the breakfast buffet each morning, so I think that would be a great way for us to connect and talk about the upcoming day. It is, in all honesty, not that bad - pretty good really - and it sticks to your ribs. It is also probably the only good meal you are going to get all day unless we order in some pizza or something.

That's it! I think I covered everything - if you have something to add please do so!

I am SUPER excited for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your girl likes roller coasters, the ones at Nickelodeon Universe at the Mall of America are actually pretty good. There's a SpongeBob Coaster with a decent vertical drop, and a couple others that are worth a ride if you don't get dizzy easily. Quite a step up from the Camp Snoopy of old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am familiar with the place, but she is 4 and I don't think they have many rides for someone her size. She is more interested in seeing the fish - sharks and dinosaurs, the only things she likes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
I have been contacted by a couple of people asking if it would be cool to have some sort of game giveaways/door prizes. I realized I have a ton of games that are cluttering my shelves and I could give a few of them away myself. If you are going to be GM'ing at the UDV/ZSBE (cool acronym huh?) please consider grabbing a couple of games to throw at someone that happens to pop in to play something. There doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason to it, but I plan on giving some of mine away for people who win games of Eclipse. Note: you do NOT have to bring any games to giveaway - it is just a thought.

As we discussed before, I will be bringing some games for you (at least 5 or 6, maybe more) to giveaway to winners of games, door prizes, etc. If you decide to giveaway door prizes, I might be able to create tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we can bring a couple games to give away if we make it... There's rumours of family visiting us over Presidents Day weekend, so we're in a holding pattern waiting for updates now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
UndeadViking wrote:

As we discussed before, I will be bringing some games for you (at least 5 or 6, maybe more) to giveaway to winners of games, door prizes, etc. If you decide to giveaway door prizes, I might be able to create tickets.

If you want to make up some tickets - I am cool with that. I have no idea if we will do door prizes or what, but I am sure we can come up with something. If it is a lot of trouble to make them, don't bother - I would hate for you to go to the trouble and then have them not used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas Lance!

I too am planning to be in the room pretty much the entire Con... especially during Saturday afternoon! laugh (Lance, there are a handful of rides that my 3 year old enjoyed so its certainly worth a look for Rilyn!). I am running standard events from 2-4 on Friday and 8-10 on Sunday but otherwise should be in the room!

I'm planning to bring a decent selection of fillers... but I don't know how often will need them with so many main event games along! I might have a couple of games I can add to the door prize pile... though I don't know if I currently have much to give away that anyone would really consider a "prize"...

I agree on all Lance's points about food. The onsite grill is at best adequate and the snacks are chancy. There are a couple of decent restaurants in quick driving distance... but parking is such a pain its not really worth leaving to go to them. I can bring a decent sized cooler to add to the cold item storage capacity.

I'm very excited to share and learn some great games! See you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:
UndeadViking wrote:

If you want to make up some tickets - I am cool with that. I have no idea if we will do door prizes or what, but I am sure we can come up with something. If it is a lot of trouble to make them, don't bother - I would hate for you to go to the trouble and then have them not used.

How about this. If you decide on giving some as door prizes, I will provide a roll of 2000 tickets. I see Staples has them for $10 and I would be happy to help your extravaganza. It could be as simple as giving out tickets to anyone who plays a game. Then attaching the other half to the games being given away. No announcements needed, people can come in and check during the day. Just a thought.

I think you guys have a great thing going and hoping it is a popular event. Just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, these sound like great ideas. I'm getting very excited as well.

Sadly a snag has come into my plan on being there for the entire weekend. Something has come up on Friday night and I will be unable to attend the Con that night. I will be there all day Saturday and Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justplainchips wrote:
Something has come up on Friday night and I will be unable to attend the Con...

You're out of the gang!!

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
justplainchips wrote:
Something has come up on Friday night and I will be unable to attend the Con...

You're out of the gang!!

whistle

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Unfortunately, while it hurts me dearly, I don't think that threat would be enough to move my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My overall plan is to be there most of Friday & Saturday, and part of Sunday. I haven't signed up for anything else. And only plan on a few breaks for eating and visiting dealers. ;-}

I'll get there as soon as possible on Friday. I've actually taken the day off, but my fiance is only scheduled for a half day at the moment. She might try to duck out a bit early so we can get our dog to the kennel and on the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not signed up for any events so I plan on being in the room most/all of the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi Lawless
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Ask not for whom the dog barks. It barks for thee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait!

Oh. and I'm sure I'll have some games to give away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things I was just pondering in my head...we should probably have some sort of a spreadsheet or something to write down who wants to play what and then maybe set up some reservations for tables.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to handle this?

Also - I plan on bringing along some games from my collection that I have wanted to play but I have not yet got them to my table, so if anyone is interested in playing some new stuff (and we have some time) I will be ready!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Some things I was just pondering in my head...we should probably have some sort of a spreadsheet or something to write down who wants to play what and then maybe set up some reservations for tables.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to handle this?

Also - I plan on bringing along some games from my collection that I have wanted to play but I have not yet got them to my table, so if anyone is interested in playing some new stuff (and we have some time) I will be ready!

For people who have registered for many events, it will be difficult to sign up for anything in your room until they get to the Con and see what events they got into (or maybe that's what you are referring too).

Anyway, I think a printed sheet with sections for games (maybe only the popular ones?) set somewhere near the door to your room might work. I like this idea, but on the other hand I like the idea of walking in, seeing something in your vast amount of games and playing at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious how formal we wanted the room to be. I'm leaning toward winging it and seeing how it goes this first year then adding structure as needed when (if?) we do this again next year.

I was wondering if a whiteboard to sign groups up for the next open table might be of value though? Or if we're mostly going to have game explainers camp at a table and take groups to play with them as they come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackStack wrote:
I was curious how formal we wanted the room to be. I'm leaning toward winging it and seeing how it goes this first year then adding structure as needed when (if?) we do this again next year.

I was wondering if a whiteboard to sign groups up for the next open table might be of value though? Or if we're mostly going to have game explainers camp at a table and take groups to play with them as they come...

I was thinking whiteboard as well...maybe if we run out of room we can get someone's cell # or something and text them when a table opens up and keep that info on the whiteboard?

I think you might be right Zack - just wing it this time out and we can refine it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good plan on the cell numbers... though if people don't want to show that information so publicly I suppose they could give it to you or me... or just hang around to claim their table instead? Regardless, I think that should be a nice easy way to keep things flowing if we end up at max capacity for games.

Also, Hazel is on my lap and wanted to let you know that "That baby is really cute!" I agree with her
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi Lawless
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winging it works really well for the MBGM marathons/manias/madnesses. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whiteboard is not a bad idea. I've got a few with easels I can bring if we want them.

Otherwise, if demo'ers are stationed at a specific table, something as simple as a sheet of paper with time slots can work well. They can work with the person demoing and write in when the game will be played. I've seen really small cons that run with this and it works well for them.

Otherwise, I'm cool with winging it as well. My only concern coming in is what to do on potential crowd split on what to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like the idea of each demo-er just having a table and gaming with whoever wants to play games from their bag... but it might break down a little bit when the demo-ers actually want to play games together! Though I suppose at this point we have more people bringing collections than tables, so it might not be much of an issue laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi Lawless
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sent out my email to my co-workers. A reminder that I'll be out of the office this Friday. Woot!

meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my first "official" act this morning was sending out my PTO email for Friday as well. ;-}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Kline
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And at some point there will be the unopening of the Mystery Box to End All Mystery Boxes: Item for Geeklist "Games for Geekgold November 2011 - Moustache for a month? My beard is forever!" - I'm thinking Friday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.