Subject: ASOS with 2.edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Combs
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi.

I got the 2.edition, and as you probably know, playing with 4 players isn't perfect. So i am wondering if you could buy A Storm of Swords, and use the components for the 2.edition to play with?

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Techincally, yes, it contains all the required components.
However, you might need to make some adjustments (for example, each house had 4 knights in the 1st edition, while in the 2nd it's 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starkiller wrote:
Techincally, yes, it contains all the required components.
However, you might need to make some adjustments (for example, each house had 4 knights in the 1st edition, while in the 2nd it's 5).

I'd personally just go ahead and use the 2nd Edition rules (5 knights/2 siege towers, special star orders, perhaps even Tides of Battle, etc.) on the ASOS board. Of course you'll have to use a good number of ASOS components (House, Westeros, Tactics, and Ally cards, Leader tokens) but I would assume the game would work well with the limited number of rule changes. And my thinking is that changes like the number of knights/siege towers were probably made for balance, so I'd rather go with the new rule.

The only thing that won't translate as smoothly is the Messenger Raven's new scouting ability, since ASOS doesn't use Wildling cards. I'd probably just change that to being able to scout some Westeros cards, or maybe Ally cards, or even the ability to change Tactics card.

I haven't thought too deeply about the Raven aspect yet, so it's still fuzzy--would the Messenger be able to scout some or all upcoming Westeros cards? How would he scout Ally cards? Is changing Tactics too powerful (or was that already in the ASOS rules?)? Should the Raven just revert to 1st Ed. rules out of sheer "I don't want to think tinker with something that wasn't broken?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The raven in the 1st edition was the same except the Wildlings power.. so I'd just leave it as is (on the ASoS board you would have one less power available to you).

The knights probably don't matter as everyone gets 5 knights, though it requires checking the house cards (increased supply limits might make some cards more powerful than they should be).
As for siege engines, I recall that it specifically states NOT to play with them. Since castles are even more important in ASoS (and there's also the Towns ..) it'll probably hurt balance and it's best to leave them out of the game, along with the ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starkiller wrote:
The knights probably don't matter as everyone gets 5 knights, though it requires checking the house cards (increased supply limits might make some cards more powerful than they should be).
As for siege engines, I recall that it specifically states NOT to play with them. Since castles are even more important in ASoS (and there's also the Towns ..) it'll probably hurt balance and it's best to leave them out of the game, along with the ships.

I did not remember that the rules barred siege engines, but I would not be surprised--it's been awhile since I've had a 4-player Game of Thrones! I'd have to brush up on it first.

If siege engines are out then maybe the extra knight should go, though. It seemed to me like the unit distribution was altered to help keep the siege engines from becoming overpowered. If there are none, then maybe that distribution should go back the way it was in the 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starkiller wrote:

I just looked up the ASOS rulebook in response to another thread, and found that actually you can use siege engines in the ASOS map. Page 9, the blue sidebar on the right.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/a_game_of_thro...

It does note that siege engines only work against castles--they have 0 strength against towns. So I go back to my original position: try using the re-tooled 5 knights and 2 siege engines from the 2nd Ed. on the ASOS board, instead of the original 4 knights and 3 siege engines. It's the same supply, but I think more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.