Subject: Escape from Dol Guldur: Nazgul 2nd Forced Effect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jian W
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may sound like it has an obvious answer, but I have to ask.

Nazgul's forced effect says 'After a shadow effect dealt to Nazgul of Dol Guldur resolves, the engaged player must choose and discard 1 character he controls'

From the official FAQ, it says '(1.13) Characters and Enemies
"Character" refers to both hero and ally cards. Enemy
cards are not considered characters.
'

So if I do not have any allies, does it mean that I have to discard my heroes each time a shadow effect resolves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means you need to build an army to defeat it arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm sorry...I forget:

If the Nazgul's dealt shadow card has no shadow ability printed on the bottom, does the Nazgul's Forced ability trigger? In other words, is flipping the Shadow card considered to be "resolving the shadow effect"? Or does the shadow card have to actually contain a shadow ability?

thanks,
-TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
If the Nazgul's dealt shadow card has no shadow ability printed on the bottom, does the Nazgul's Forced ability trigger? In other words, is flipping the Shadow card considered to be "resolving the shadow effect"?

The rules make a distinction between shadow card and shadow effect:

Quote:
3. Resolve shadow effect. The active player flips that
enemy’s shadow card faceup and resolves any shadow
effect that card might have.

If a card has no shadow effect, there is no shadow effect to resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also means that if you are defending with your sole ally, and the Nazgul gets a shadow effect you're in big trouble. If you discard the ally to the Nazgul's forced effect, you now have an undefended attack and 4 damage to be applied to a hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn and
Norway
flag msg tools
If the defending ally/hero has " a burning brand" which will cancel any shadow effects on cards dealt to the attacking enemy. Does that also cancel the Nazgul effect - discard ally/hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
HoVonBlitzen wrote:
If the defending ally/hero has " a burning brand" which will cancel any shadow effects on cards dealt to the attacking enemy. Does that also cancel the Nazgul effect - discard ally/hero?

I think it does. I also think A Hasty Stroke would protect you from the Nazgul's 2nd forced effect. This is because the forced effect uses the word "resolved". In both cases the shadow effect is canceled before it has a chance to get resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.