29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for 2 new gamers... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kinzey
msg tools
I am seeking some game recommendations for me and my wife. So far we have only played games such as Monopoly, Clue, pretty much anything you could buy at Target or Walmart. I found this site while searching for new games and a whole new world opened up to me that I didn't know existed.

From browsing around it seems like Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride would be good choices. What others should we consider? I would like "gateway" games that work well for two players but could also be played with 3 or 4.

Thanks.

• [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Finca. It's way more fun than the others you mention, is gorgeous and very simple to learn. And it scales well from 2-4p. Takes about 30 min or so to play.

And welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
"I would like "gateway" games that work well for two players but could also be played with 3 or 4."

Splut! isn't exactly a gateway game, but it works well with 2 to 4 players. And the fantasy theme and easy to learn rules appeal to all ages. And ... it's FREE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb

Me and my girlfriend love Small World and also it,s what kind of intrests you have ie... sports, fantasy, midevil, ww2. ect. look at those games and do alot of research on the game you choose, you cant go wrong with a theme you like!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Nelson
United States
chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers was one of the first games my wife and I played, and it is still one of our favorites.

We also love Ticket to Ride, so does everyone we have played it with.

For two, we would usually go with Carc over TTR. For more than two, it would usually be the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

+1 con Ticket to ride and carcassone.

Try Dominion or ascencion either one so you can try a deckbuilding game. Dominion I think is a better game but Ascencion is also really good and lighter (although both games are light and considered gateway). Ascencion has an iphone/ipad app if you can get a chance to try it.

Airlines Europe is designed by same guy who designed ticket to ride, and although it has very slight similarities in escence it is more a stock holding game.

Survive escape from atlantis: is more of a cutthoat game, playes best with 4 (or 5 and 6), but I have played with my gf only (using two colors each) and it works well.

For a worker placement game the normal gateway game is probably stone age. Have not played it but they say it plays great with two. I also recommend Fresco, theme is quite gf friendly and game comes with 3 "expansions" which you can play or not and make the game harder. I always play with all the expansions as without them game seems easy, but as a intro game try it without them.

Lost cities or battle line. Are standard 2p games. battle line has more replay value, but lost cities (buy the board game as it play 2-4), has been great to introduce to nongamers.

When i buy a game I always buy card games for freight and shipping. Great two player games are Jaipur (set collecting game really fun), mistery rummy jack the ripper (rummy variant), coloretto, Citadels (plays 2-8 players, although playingwith 7-8 makes the games to long).

EDIT: FRESCO need a dummy player to be played with 2p. I like it as it makes game more stratigic (use the dummy to your advantage), but some people dont like dummy players in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For two players only - Jaipur is a fantastic little cardgame.

For a game that scales , you could try out the lighter end of the euro spectrum with something like Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard!

Forbidden Island is a good introductory co-operative game.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is a bit more cut-throat but a lot of fun.

I love Small World, but it might be a bit more complex than some other traditional gateway games.

Also, if you are interested in crafting your own, check out the plethora of great print-and-play games here on the Geek (Meta-list: The Canonical List of Free Print-and-Play Games, or Print n Play Games That People Actually Play to see a whole bunch of them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age - Very easy to understand and great introduction into Euro style games. My wife and I have played this game together a lot along with Ticket To Ride which would be another recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to this world

I started myself for like 6 months ago, and the first game that I brought was Ticket to Ride: Europe, and I've never regretted this. Its a nice game when playing two, and have to option of playing with a couple of friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome....

There are many good beginner friendly games. As you mention and several have recommended - I'd echo Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride (I'm not personally a big fan of TtR, but it is a good introductory game). I'd also echo the Stone Age suggestion as a good beginner game.

Additionally - we like these for new gamers:
Undermining pretty good game - it plays 5 and is short - less than an hour once you get the hang of it.

Forbidden Island - co-op...so non-threatening...good starter game.

Alhambra- doesn't play as well with two, but plays up to 6 and every female we've introduced it to has loved it.

Good luck - welcome to the hobby...obsession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many great gateway games mentioned here meeple

+1 Ticket to Ride, Ticket to Ride Europe (2-5 players)
+1 Dominion (2-4 players)

Both games work well with two players.

+1 Jaipur

Sica wrote:

For two players only - Jaipur is a fantastic little cardgame.

I've tried the 3 player variant described here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/576247/variants-for-3-or...
It works very well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt schmaltz
United States
alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I second Stone Age and Finca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride are good starting points.
Gateway games I prefer to those two are Thurn and Taxis and Kingdom Builder.
But the game I really recommend is Dominion. It's very addictive, simple to learn, different each time you play, and surprisingly deep.

Someone mentioned Stone Age. That game is very good as well, but it is a bit more complex rules-wise than the others mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kinzey
msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, and keep them coming. It's great that this is such an active community. I think I'm going to get Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Dominion to start. What is a good online retailer for these kinds of games? I usually order from Amazon but I've seen Thought Hammer mentioned a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think boardsandbits.com has some of the best prices and shipping is $2 if you spend $98+. A lot of people also like coolstuffinc.com and shipping is free for $100+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cool stuff inc. Best prices and service

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Boardsandbits, has some of the best prices and service is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2+ Player Recommendations:
Alien Frontiers
The Boss
Carnival
The Castles of Burgundy
Creature Clash! Card Game
Fzzzt!
Infinite City
Rattus
Yspahan

Cooperatives are always good since you play - win or loose - TOGETHER:
Forbidden Island
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Red November
Pandemic

My favorite online retailers:
Boards & Bits
CoolStuffInc.com
Miniature Market

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kinzey
msg tools
I went to the Cool Stuff Inc. website and saw that they are located in Winter Park, FL...about 45 minutes from my house. Looks like I will be headed there this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll always promote 1955: The War of Espionage as a great 2-player game, mainly because I loved playing it so much I decided to publish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
CoolStuffInc in your backyard? Sweeeeet!

I'll second Carcassonne, Finca and Stone Age as great games to get you rolling.

Here's a couple others I didn't see mentioned yet:

The Hanging Gardens
Maori

jkinzey wrote:
I went to the Cool Stuff Inc. website and saw that they are located in Winter Park, FL...about 45 minutes from my house. Looks like I will be headed there this week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason you will do just fine with those three games all really great and different enough to try some different mechanics. Welcome to the hobby/addiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As many have said for 2 players nothing beats Carcassonne. Now if you going to have more than 3 Ticket to Ride is also fantastic and what got me into gaming. The great thing about these two is they are readily available at most Target stores

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, welcome to a whole new universe! meeple We just discovered all of this a year ago ourselves - thank goodness for that person who referenced BGG on an Amazon review.

A big +1 to Carcassonne & Dominion.
If you end up liking Carcassonne, definitely check out the Inns & Cathedrals and the Traders & Builders expansions for it. Somehow candy can get even sweeter...

+1 Boards & Bits
(Check out www.boardgameprices.com if you want a quick way to find which online stores have something in stock)

A couple tips we've found invaluable this past year:
1) There's a wealth of knowledge on BGG. You'll get more familiar with it and how to use it as time goes on. Something "basic" (that for some reason took me awhile to figure out) - essentially anything in blue on the game pages will lead you to more info if you click on it. Take full advantage of the game forums - especially if you have a question after reading a game's rules or after playing it.

You can click on the arrow next to the page (i.e Pg 1/14 ... ) in the forum area, as there are often pages of game info following the one that's visible. Click on specifics such as "Rules" or "Variants" or "Reviews". Often I've found the answer to the very question we had right there - already posted with an answer behind that tiny blue "Rules" word. Incredible! And incredibly helpful. If you haven't found it already, you might find this list of BGG FAQ's really helpful down the road:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41134/new-users-want-to-kn...

2) Best tip I heard all year: If you're teaching yourselves the game from the rules (as we've done for every game), you might want to reread the rules in their entirety after your first play (preferably that night or by the end of the next day while it's fresh in your mind). I heard that on a podcast, and wow - has that been a helpful tip! No matter how carefully you read the rules, it's amazing what you can pick up after that first play(often we find we did something incorrectly!) Rereading the rules after that 1st play also goes MUCH faster since so much is now familiar.

3) And lastly, there's also a whole universe of podcasts related to these designer boardgames if you're interested. Everyone has their own style & interests, but here are some good ones to investigate:

Boardgames to Go
Boardgame Babylon
Garretts Games & Geekiness
The Dice Tower
The Spiel
Ludology

Have a blast - we're still amazed a whole year later!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.