Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris C
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We frequently take advantage of cooperative adventuring in pursuit of artifacts, however recently wondered if the original team (assume two heroes, Heroes A & B) need to remain at the adventure until the Artifact is secured, or if one of the Heroes can be replaced (i.e. Hero B during his movement phase decides to leave for whatever reason, and Hero C joins Hero A at the adventure during his movement phase) without losing any progress made in the Adventure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd allow that, but it is not mentioned in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the answer, but similar questions came up for me over the weekend.

To add to your question:

1. What happens if the number of heroes changes? That is, Hero A starts the adventure, and then either camps down or hits a cliffhanger. On the next turn, Hero B shows up. Can he help with the next danger? Can he help with the cliffhanger? For that matter, can he just do the cliffhanger himself?

2. If two heroes are at the same site, is it required that they work together? Or can one of them sit out in order to avoid a risk of KO (for example, if he is holding another artifact).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
On your 2nd question, I don't believe they are required to work together, but no one can sit out the adventure phase of the turn. So if they are at an artifact, they either work together on a danger or alone on their own danger.

On the rest of the questions, we have generally been playing that the heroes have to arrive and start the adventure together to get the flexibility of choosing who does what. If one gets KO'd the other has to finish alone. If someone is alone at a cliffhanger, they have to finish it themselves. it just sorta makes sense to me, but yeah the rules really don't flesh out how exactly it is all supposed to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just for reference, here is the specific situation that came up:

Jake Zane is alone at an adventure site. He draws the "Poisoned Food" danger and fails it. His cliffhanger is "Gasping for Breath", which says take d6 wounds.

On the next turn, Duke Dudley shows up.

The rules are not worded with optional or mandatory language -- it just says the heroes "work together" (page 23). It also says if a Test is failed, it is failed for all heroes (although it's not clear if that applies to cliffhangers).

So, if Jake fails the cliffhanger, and therefore gets KO'd, does it mean Duke Dudley is also KO'd? Can't be, because that makes absolutely no sense. It also obviously makes no sense to allow Duke to do the cliffhanger instead. And, because that particular cliffhanger does not use "Adventure dice", there is no benefit to exerting. So really, Duke is not involved at all. So the question is: after Jake chokes and dies, can Duke Dudley do the adventure on that same turn? Does he keep any progress that Jake had?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not cover this.

In my games I'd allow Heroes to join in and leave at their will. Any Cliffhanger would have to be resolved by the Hero who got "Cliffhangered". Another Hero now on the same adventure would be able to keep any progress, but would not be able to continue on the same round that a Cliffhanger is failed by his teammate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi there! Complete BGG newbie here, but luckily I'm arrogant enough to assume that my twisting of logic might be appreciated.

If anything, I'd argue that a simple "Take D6 Wounds" doesn't count as a Test since there's no skill to roll against. You either survive it and keep going, or get KOed by the damage; there's no actual way to fail it.

That said, I think that you couldn't count two heroes as working together on an Adventure UNTIL they have the option of drawing a Danger card together. Not that that's really supported by the rules on p.23 unless the first two sentences of that section* are an express definition and not just a description of what's happening... but it would mean that your Jake needs to survive his poison in order for Dudley to pool his Danger Tokens and Press On together.

Now, as to whether allowing newly-arrived team members to help with Cliffhangers is allowed or not is a different kettle of fish. I can see arguments for both sides: "No way he can just wander in from across the world and help while I'm falling to my death" vs "Deus ex machina by my friend is exactly within the theme," but I think I'd have to side with teammates NOT being allowed to join in mid-Cliffhanger in order for what I said above to make any sense (otherwise Dudley could have taken the poison damage for the food Jake was eating, possibly by doing a slow-motion "Nooooooo" dive across the room and intercepting the offending morsel in his own mouth).

*"When two or more Heroes are at the same Artifact Adventure, they work together to overcome the Dangers and Fight off any Enemies. The Heroes draw a single Danger for all of them..." blah blah you get the picture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had emailed Flying Frog concerning this back when I got the game and posted it in a previous thread. I think it answers most of the questions asked here, hopefully....

soosy wrote:
The whole Adventuring together process was a little confusing to me, so I emailed Flying Frog. Here's Mary Beth's responses:

1) When multiple players overcome the danger, only 1 danger marker is collected for the group, correct?

Correct.

2) When one player chooses to camp down, and another presses on, what happens with the Danger Markers, Glory and Healing?

When one player camps down, they get everything they usually get, the get all the glory they have accumulated, they heal, and danger markers stay until both people move away.  They are now out of the danger and their partner must go on alone until they choose to camp down as well.  If the partner presses on a fails and it goes to cliffhanger, they will, like usual, lose all the glory they would have accumulated, and end their turn. If their partner stays and does not move away, they may help them with the cliffhanger next turn.   Only when one or more people fail a cliffhanger will all danger markers get removed and they will be KOed, fully heal, be returned to their home city, and then be up again next turn to start on the danger again.

3) For Coop, can you join Adventures in progress? Lets say a single person goes on an adventure and ends up in a cliffhanger. On the next turn, can a second person move to their location so that they will attempt the Cliffhanger together, facing the adventure now as a group?

...yes, a team member can join a danger when it is in a cliffhanger to help out the person doing the cliffhanger.  Once passed, they will do the rest of the dangers together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
The rules do not cover this.

Yeah.... I have to say, as much as I love FF, I'm a little irritated by the condition of the rules. This issue is not a corner case, is it? I mean, heroes working together is like a main part of the game.

Quote:
Any Cliffhanger would have to be resolved by the Hero who got "Cliffhangered".

Makes sense, but it seems to be incorrect based on the quote that George posted.

Bursar wrote:
Hi there! Complete BGG newbie here, but luckily I'm arrogant enough to assume that my twisting of logic might be appreciated.

Welcome! All twisted logic is appreciated here.

Quote:
If anything, I'd argue that a simple "Take D6 Wounds" doesn't count as a Test since there's no skill to roll against. You either survive it and keep going, or get KOed by the damage; there's no actual way to fail it.

Okay, fair enough. So, if it's defined as "not a Test", then it doesn't violate the written rules to say that other heroes cannot help and/or take over.

Quote:
Now, as to whether allowing newly-arrived team members to help with Cliffhangers is allowed or not is a different kettle of fish. I can see arguments for both sides: "No way he can just wander in from across the world and help while I'm falling to my death" vs "Deus ex machina by my friend is exactly within the theme," but I think I'd have to side with teammates NOT being allowed to join in mid-Cliffhanger in order for what I said above to make any sense (otherwise Dudley could have taken the poison damage for the food Jake was eating, possibly by doing a slow-motion "Nooooooo" dive across the room and intercepting the offending morsel in his own mouth).

Well, he wouldn't actually intercept the food -- it's too late for that. But I could see another hero helping (in theme) by applying the heimlich maneuver or some other type of first aid. George's quote shows that a hero CAN join in to help on a cliffhanger, so we just have to assume that this rule only applies when the cliffhanger is a "Test" as opposed to just an arbitrary die roll.

soosy wrote:
I had emailed Flying Frog concerning this back when I got the game and posted it in a previous thread. I think it answers most of the questions asked here, hopefully....

Well... *hmph*. They must like you better. I never got a response to my emailed questions (on a different issue).

Anyway, I think my questions are mostly answered. The only one your quote doesn't touch on is whether other heroes MUST join in if they are present. For now, I'll assume they DO have to join in (because the rules on this subject seem to be written more towards a mandatory phrasing), unless the roll is "not a Test" in which case other heroes cannot join.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, good to hear what the devs say. I happily stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
soosy wrote:

Well... *hmph*. They must like you better. I never got a response to my emailed questions (on a different issue).

Well, if it helps any, I emailed once before a year or so ago with a Something Wicked question and never got a response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Browne
United Kingdom
Ely
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This adds to another query I have re joint adventuring in the co-op game.

Let's say on turn 1 of the game player 1 goes to a site. Player 2 goes somewhere else, then player 3 joins player 1 for a joint expedition.

Turn 2, for the sake of argument, the turn order on initiative is the same. So player 1 turns over the first danger, but player 3 is better suited to it so undertakes the test and passes. Let's then assume that they are lucky and get the artefact after say 3 dangers. Player 2 then plays their turn. Does player 3 then get their turn this round or does the fact that he attempted a danger mean his turn is over?

And what if he had not attempted any dangers but was at the site in case he was needed? Would he then get his turn too?

Hope this makes sense?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player would only get one Adventuring phase per round. So player 1 & 3 would Adventure together when they are in the same location and after both are done then player 2 would Adventure. Player 3 wouldn't get to Adventure again solo after Player 2. They either Camped down already, or are stuck in a Cliffhanger with Player 1, or recovered the Artifact with Player 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.