Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can the defender use the Ally card to defend from an attack? The rules specify the attacker can't, but says nothing for the defender.

2. Can you occupy a Merchant box with a disc even if it gets you 0 gold? (to block others to use it)

3. The War Office doesn't give you any bonus on the same segment you claim it, only for the segments after that one, correct? Is it optional or you are forced from that point on to attack twice and never claim any more boxes?

4. What happens if you claim 2 War Offices? The same as having 1?

5. Can money be hidden?

6. When you attack empire tokens with a number on them, does someone roll the dice for them? Or you just fight against that number alone?

7. When calculating additional unrest losses, it says the weaker side loses 1 (attacker and defender, not allies). Does this mean that to evaluate who is weaker, do we take in consideration dice+card+bonuses+allies? Or without the allies support value?

8. In the setup the 35 empire tokens are taken out of the game, and for setting up each turn, we use 10 of the remaining 30, is that it?

9. Is it possible to attack an adjacent colony between North America, Karibik and South America? (just like adjacent countries in Europe)

10. So if in a colony a player does not have a control disc, and there is no empire token (aktion or with a number) you just cannot enter that colony in any way? Lets say Africa has no control discs and only has 1 Action token, the first player to use it is 100% sure to win the 1st place points? (since it's impossible for anyone else to enter Africa this turn?

11. What's the adjacency for Great Britain (regarding possible attacks from it's home country)? Only the Baltic Sea?
And for Spain? Only France and Mediterranean Sea? And is the Mediterranean adjacent to the Baltic Sea?
This is what was written in Struggle of Empires rules:
"The German States, however, are not adjacent to the Baltic. Furthermore, Spain is adjacent to the Mediterranean and Britain is adjacent to the German States."
is this still valid for this game?

12. Do you really gain 3 coin when defeating that India token, or do you have to pay? That minus (-) sign is confusing.

Thanks for any help on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uli Blennemann
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Helio,

Here are my answers.

1. Can the defender use the Ally card to defend from an attack? The rules specify the attacker can't, but says nothing for the defender.

No, the Ally card cannot be used by the defender.

2. Can you occupy a Merchant box with a disc even if it gets you 0 gold? (to block others to use it)

Yes, absolutely. This is sometimes a useful tactic.

3. The War Office doesn't give you any bonus on the same segment you claim it, only for the segments after that one, correct? Is it optional or you are forced from that point on to attack twice and never claim any more boxes?

Right - only from the next segment. No, you are not forced to attack twice.

4. What happens if you claim 2 War Offices? The same as having 1?

Yes - apart that you are blocking the option for a different player (however, this is a waste of options to my mind).

5. Can money be hidden?

No.

6. When you attack empire tokens with a number on them, does someone roll the dice for them? Or you just fight against that number alone?

No, the dice are rolled by a different player.

7. When calculating additional unrest losses, it says the weaker side loses 1 (attacker and defender, not allies). Does this mean that to evaluate who is weaker, do we take in consideration dice+card+bonuses+allies? Or without the allies support value?

Probably my bad English...the loser loses 1.

8. In the setup the 35 empire tokens are taken out of the game, and for setting up each turn, we use 10 of the remaining 30, is that it?

Right.

9. Is it possible to attack an adjacent colony between North America, Karibik and South America? (just like adjacent countries in Europe)

No.

10. So if in a colony a player does not have a control disc, and there is no empire token (aktion or with a number) you just cannot enter that colony in any way? Lets say Africa has no control discs and only has 1 Action token, the first player to use it is 100% sure to win the 1st place points? (since it's impossible for anyone else to enter Africa this turn?

Right.

11. What's the adjacency for Great Britain (regarding possible attacks from it's home country)? Only the Baltic Sea?
And for Spain? Only France and Mediterranean Sea? And is the Mediterranean adjacent to the Baltic Sea?
"The German States, however, are not adjacent to the Baltic. Furthermore, Spain is adjacent to the Mediterranean and Britain is adjacent to the German States."

A country is always adjacent to the Med and the Baltic Sea. Do not use the SoE rules!

12. Do you really gain 3 coin when defeating that India token, or do you have to pay? That minus (-) sign is confusing.

It is, sorry for that. You are always gaining gold & points from these tokens.

Have fun!

Uli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thank you for your clarifications. But I still haven't understood 2 of your answers:

Uli Blennemann wrote:

No, the dice are rolled by a different player.

Sorry, but your answer is confusing. Are you referring to the attacker dice? Or the defender's?
An example: I'm attacking a German States empire marker (value of 2). Is it:
a) my dice+card+bonus against 2 (no dice rolled for them)
b) or dice+card+bonus against 2+dice (rolled by another player (not me))

Uli Blennemann wrote:

A country is always adjacent to the Med and the Baltic Sea. Do not use the SoE rules!

Again this is confusing. ALL countries? How can Prussia be adjacent to the Med.Sea? Or Austria to the Baltic Sea? I really would like to have a detailed list of adjacencies to confirm. To me it seems that:

Great Britain is adjacent to nothing

Spain is adjacent to France and to Med.Sea

France is adjacent to Spain, Med.Sea and German States

Austria is adjacent to Ottoman Empire, Mitteleurope, German States and Med.Sea

Prussia is adjacent to Baltic Sea, Mitteleurope, German States

Netherlands is adjacent to German States only

Russia is adjacent to Baltic Sea, Mitteleurope, Ottoman Empire (and possibly to Med.Sea?)

Can you confirm this list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uli Blennemann
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Helio,

Here are my responses.

Regarding your question 6, please check the top of page 10 of the rules: All combat rules of paragraph II above are in effect (when you are attacking an empire marker). This is even in bold in the rules.
There are just two exceptions, which are immediately following in the text.

An example: I'm attacking a German States empire marker (value of 2). Is it:
a) my dice+card+bonus against 2 (no dice rolled for them)
b) or dice+card+bonus against 2+dice (rolled by another player (not me))

B

Again this is confusing. ALL countries? How can Prussia be adjacent to the Med.Sea? Or Austria to the Baltic Sea? I really would like to have a detailed list of adjacencies to confirm.

Hmmm...Zeitalter der Vernunft is an abstract game, not a detailed simulation. How can they be adjacent? Because the rules say so on page 7. "A player may always attack into the Baltic or Mediterranean areas if he plays a card with the ship symbol during the attack..."

Without this, naval powers, especially Britain, would have a most difficult time in the game and, although the game is abstract, Britain´s historical role would not be represented in the game.

Have fun!

Uli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hiroshi nagamine
Japan
tokorozawa
saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Britain has no control disc on the map, where can Britain attack?

Britain can attack into the Baltic or Mediterranean, of course.

BUT can Britain attack into German States, Central Europe, or Ottoman Empire directly?

Or can Britain only attack only into the Baltic or Mediterranean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Bezlyudnyy
Russia
Saratov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
helioa wrote:

10. So if in a colony a player does not have a control disc, and there is no empire token (aktion or with a number) you just cannot enter that colony in any way?

I think that for attacking an empire token you must regard the same rule for attacking a disk, i.e. you need to have a control disk in the area (or ajacent if battle take place in Europe). Can someone confirm this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the rules the same.
The only way to get an own influence disc into a colony where you have NO influence disc, is by an ACTION empire token.

There are no other possibilities to get there, beside this option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.