Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
What size are the cards?
I have a bunch of 59 X 92 mm sleeves sitting around, think they will work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, they're standard american game-sized (63.5 x 88mm) and those sound like euro (narrower) game-sized
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are M:tG size cards (odd being a Whiz-kid product) - I've tried both the FFG "Standard Card Size" (63.5x88mm) and the Dragon Shield (Yellow Label) sleeves and have to say I much prefer the Dragon Shield sleeves. The FFG sleeves are just a little loose and sloppy compared to the Dragon Sleeves that fit perfectly and feel better to handle as well. Of course the Dragons are a little more expensive - but the difference is worth it, in my case.

I saw another thread where penny sleeves were being defended - I have those too and although I did one of my games with them (History of the Roman Empire), having nothing better at the time, I cannot recommend them for anything other than actual bubble-gum cards. They're thin, tear easily and just not intended for cards that are going to be handled at all.

If you care for your games and intend to actually play them, sleeve the cards properly and you'll be glad you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
...those sound like euro (narrower) game-sized...

They are and would be ideal for games such as A Few Acres of Snow or London (first edition) - but not MK...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Foomer McCloud
United States
Albany
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
FFG are definitely wider. I ended up making my own tuck boxes with strange eons. It's not worth the sunk costs to buy new sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
They are M:tG size cards (odd being a Whiz-kid product) - I've tried both the FFG "Standard Card Size" (63.5x88mm) and the Dragon Shield (Yellow Label) sleeves and have to say I much prefer the Dragon Shield sleeves. The FFG sleeves are just a little loose and sloppy compared to the Dragon Sleeves that fit perfectly and feel better to handle as well. Of course the Dragons are a little more expensive - but the difference is worth it, in my case.

I saw another thread where penny sleeves were being defended - I have those too and although I did one of my games with them (History of the Roman Empire), having nothing better at the time, I cannot recommend them for anything other than actual bubble-gum cards. They're thin, tear easily and just not intended for cards that are going to be handled at all.

If you care for your games and intend to actually play them, sleeve the cards properly and you'll be glad you did.

Richard...if you could, would you mind posting a link for the Dragon Shields you mention here? I found some, but I'm not sure they're the correct ones. The "yellow label" is what's throwing me, I think. THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Richard...if you could, would you mind posting a link for the Dragon Shields you mention here? I found some, but I'm not sure they're the correct ones. The "yellow label" is what's throwing me, I think. THANKS!

The sleeves are made in Denmark by an outfit called "Arcane Tinmen" (www.arcanetinmen.com). If you visit the website ("Products" tab) you will see why I referred to them as yellow labels, but it turns out that they all have yellow labels and it is the background color of the box itself and a label at the bottom that tells you what colour the opaque backs of the sleeves are. The rust colour boxes I have are labelled "clear" and don't have opaque backs. On the website you'll see them referred to as "standard size" for CCGs like Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Lord of the Rings, although it doesn't say that anywhere on the box. They also sell Pokemon sleeves which they refer to as "mini-size" - no mention of actual dimensions anywhere there either.

They also market "Board Game Sleeves" in various sizes but they come in plastic packs (like the FFG product) rather than boxes and I've never seen them over here. The ones we need for MK are the Board Game "standard size" for which they list the dimensions as 63x88mm - I assume that is also the dimension of their "standard size" Dragon Shields and why they fit better than the 63.5mm width FFG sleeves. You should be able to tell from the website which kind you are looking at and as long as they are the "standard size" you should be good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.