Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering what to expect from a semi co-op game.

I've played co-op games in the past and found them quite enjoyable.

The thing is, we have a regular board game group and we play with a ranking system. If, at some point in the game, a player will be far behind in VP, I fear he will just throw the game and do everything to make the entire group lose.

Will this spoil the game for others or make it all the more enjoyable since the other players now have to deal with this extra threat? Thematically, it's kind of weird that a deeply corrupted and enslaved Nazgul would be switching to the "good" side all of a sudden...

Are there any comparable games which feature this co-op mode up to a point? I know of games like Battlestar and the Resistance, but it's already known at the start of those games that there are saboteurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Defenders of the Realm there are rules to determine the "Champion" if the heroes win the game. You can find endless discussions on the subject in the forums there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I can recommend a game called Alcatraz: the Scapegoat.
It's a coop with a twist. All players want to escape the prison, but one of them has to be left inside. That player is elected every turn and cannot participate in fulfilling the escape plan, but has more actions and possibilities, and every turn he gets more, so the rotation in this "scapegoat" role is crucial to win.
I played several coop games with a "traitor feature" (BSG, Saboteur), but Alcatraz differs, as the traitor is known, will change, and still he can't play only to spoil the plan, but rather to become necessary to the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play it as a full co-op, but Lord of the Rings is by default semi-coop. The hobbits can all lose, but at the end one of them has done better than the others if they do win.

I don't know if it's the theme for this one, but somehow in my head it makes sense that the Nazgul might not be entirely comfortable helping each other, despite the dark lord's dictates. In Knizia's LotR, having one hobbit win just feels off to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Semi co-op is where players have a very same objective and could cooperate to keep forward it, but in the end one could win.

I though about treason in this game, but you have to co-op to prevent the game winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:

Very evil spirits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God's Playground does not have a shared objective, but players do benefit if they co-operate. ninja

However, I suspect it's more like Castle Panic where you win or lose as a group, but if you win then there are degrees of winning devil

cheers
Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of your replies.

I couldn't find a "semi co-op" mechanic to filter all the games on, so that's why I made this topic.

The mechanic has me quite intrigued though.

And to not stray too far from the actual game, I would love to be the Witch King as I think would any other in our group, so maybe the available positions for the game are 5 lesser Nazgul?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.