Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the seventh in a series of reviews for games that have fewer than 3.
I will specifically focus on how the games play, rather than components, etc.

So, what is Footy Manager?

Footy Manager is a free print and play dice game by Luke Morris allowing a player or players (up to 8) to experience the highs and lows of managing a professional soccer team.

How do I play Footy Manager?

Players begin a season with a squad of players - rated for skill, position and age - representing a team in the fourth and lowest tier of a fictional soccer league. Each week, managers make decisions about staff hiring (coaches, team doctors and the like), ground improvements, transfers to and from the squad, how to train players, and finally team selection/formation.

All non-player run teams have statistics for how they perform home and away, with variations based on whether or not a team is at full strength. Games involving players are simulated by comparing strength of position, resulting in a number of "chances" or highlights for each team.

For each highlight, a dice roll determines which player the scoring opportunity falls to, and their skill is added to another roll. The defending player then rolls and adds their keeper's skill. If the attacking total is higher than the defending total, a goal is scored.

There is a much faster system - a single roll cross referenced against a relative strength chart - for coming up with results in games involving only non-player managed clubs. This produces realistic but occasionally unpredictable results - much like you can see any weekend in the EPL!

After all matches have been played, managers wait uncomfortably to find out if any players have picked up an injury, and if they have, how long they will be out. Injuries play a major role in the game, ensuring that a manager cannot simply play his strongest 11 each week, and requiring the need for cover at every position.

The league tables are adjusted and another week begins.

Why should I play Footy Manager?

Growing up in England, it is no surprise that I love soccer. And the earliest computer games I played (after the BASIC games of my Apple II) were soccer management sims like The Match and the magnificent Championship Manager. Even today, I still play in an online ESMS game based on these simple match engines.

Footy Manager scratches this itch perfectly.

Footy Manager is clearly a labor of love, and inspires an investment in your team that should not be possible from just numbers on a page. The tension as you roll to see if your keeper can make a stop to preserve a win with the last chance of the match is magnificent, and you are guaranteed to groan when a star player (who you declined to rest in training) gets injured just before the big match.

And for such a simple game, the level of detail is amazing. Everything that you can imagine in soccer can be included, whether in the basic game, or in the well designed "modules" which add everything from youth players and Cup competitions, to meddling boards and player loans.

It should also be mentioned that Luke has been extremely receptive to player feedback, adjusting rules and adding modules to reflect concerns and suggestions from the community, and the game is better for it.

In conclusion?

There is just so much in Footy Manager to love. It is laid out so intuitively that a manager can pick and choose what he wants to use, and after playing a season with the basic rules, managers will be torn between starting over and adding more modules, or continuing with "their" teams.

It is a wonderful way to spend a few minutes or a few hours, and you will keep coming back for "just one more match".

And all it will cost you is a few sheets of paper, the ink to print out the rules and tables. I know you already have some six sided dice lying around . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is a little gem.... My favourite football(soccer to the colonies) game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbed for mentioning the Apple II and introducing me to this game. I played Luke's Paper Cricket off and on and enjoyed it but wanted more decision making.

I guess it's time to print off this game. My only problem: 'Footy' just sounds like a dumb name and I'm thinking it sounds like a sport for kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BDSb wrote:
My only problem: 'Footy' just sounds like a dumb name and I'm thinking it sounds like a sport for kids.

You have to pronounce it like a Brit - without enunciating the T . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
BDSb wrote:
My only problem: 'Footy' just sounds like a dumb name and I'm thinking it sounds like a sport for kids.

You have to pronounce it like a Brit - without enunciating the T . . .

Not pronouncing Ts is what we do in Utah! Playing Foo'y in the moun'uns...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! Thanks for that. A very pleasant surprise to wake up to and read this morning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good review of a great game! I haven't played for so long but now I really have to start again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of LEFL (Ladder Electronic Football League) or EEFL or WEFS. Same pedigree? If so, how does FootyManager compare to Fireside Football?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Fireside Football ONCE around 6/7 years ago. From what I remember of it Footy Manager has a bigger "career" feel and the feeling of progressing and running a team. Fireside Football has the squad and new signings and then you play games (by comparing the players right?) I think Footy Manager feels more epic and complete but then I'm horribly biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Seidel
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just stumbled here. Great find. Have to try it immediately. Thanks a lot for this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! Any questions just ask......Avri. Ask Avri.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.