Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what the subject is.

When a dungeon card is drawn, do the players get to read it? Most have 'secrets' of some sort.

For instance, one says the rune door doesn't open unless someone is standing on a ? tile for 4 rounds. A decent OL could state, "As you step in that space, the door seems to creak and groan as you hear chains slowly moving in the walls." or something.

I understand that they get to know the stats of the boss monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:
Pretty much what the subject is.

When a dungeon card is drawn, do the players get to read it? Most have 'secrets' of some sort.

For instance, one says the rune door doesn't open unless someone is standing on a ? tile for 4 rounds. A decent OL could state, "As you step in that space, the door seems to creak and groan as you hear chains slowly moving in the walls." or something.

I understand that they get to know the stats of the boss monster.

RtL pg17
Finally, the overlord reads aloud the dungeon level description (found in the Quest Guide, next to the map), as well as the entire Dungeon Level card, including all “special” and “leader” text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah.. ok thanks

Good news is that we haven't started the campaign yet, and I was definitely gonna re-read the book before we started our campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Keller
Denmark
flag msg tools
Descent is a strategic board game, not a tilebased roleplaying game.
The overlord is just as much a player as the heroes. Both sides have a fair chance of winning, so purposely withholding information like that could be considered cheating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never cheat in a game with my friends and I'll chose to think you are not calling me a cheater.
The campaign hasn't started yet and I would have read the rules again because I'm nervous enough starting, but I'm glad to get clarification.
You are correct, it all boils down to me still having the D&D dungeon master mentality, and wanting to bring more roleplaying into the mix, not to purposefully cheat anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Electris Moon
msg tools
I thought I had read somewhere that monsters which are described in the dungeon guide (not the dungeon card itself) are treated differently in that the Overlord need only read the monster stats but not the abilities.

For dungeon cards you have to read the entire card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.