Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a pleasant afternoon. I got a call from the front door of my apartment, and it was Jeff Siadek delivering my copy of World Conquerors!

**Let me state that although I live near him and have met Jeff a number of times, I in no way worked on this game, and this is a total unbiased review of the components.**

I'm lucky to live so close to him. When I ordered Lifeboat it, too, was delivered by the creator. (side note, Lifeboat is a great party game, check it out!)

OK - On to the component review:

First off, everything seems tight and compact, in a good way.

The box is refreshingly on the small side. 11.5 inches wide, 9 inches tall, about 2 inches deep.

The box is that fine, matte finish, the one that feels oh so nice when you brush your fingers across it. (Does that sound creepy? Don't worry, I have a girlfriend... shake )

The lid fits nice and tight on the bottom half and smells of that endorphin-rushing "new game" smell. Love it.

The art on the box is pretty darn nice. Almost looks airbrushed...soft lines, deep, royal colors of gold, red, black and white. Very nice.

Inside the box are the:

rules

50 conqueror cards, (For supporting on Kickstarter I also received the 30 expansion cards)

board

insert

1 ruler pawn in each of the colors
1 general pawn in each of the colors

6 dice (three black, three white)

20 glass beads

25 wooden cubes in each of the colors

1) rules pamphlet: Coming in at only 8 pages, and seemingly written clearly (I read through the first couple pages) it looks as though this game will be easy to learn/teach, and easy to reference if needed. Everything is written orderly, clearly, and without clutter.

2) Bits: Standard, mostly. The black and white glass beads are nice and heavy. The wooden colored cubes (blue, red, green, yellow and black) are standard issue, although the yellow colored ones seems to be slighly different. (same size, but edges not as rounded) Very minor, won't affect anything except maybe your OCD if you've got a case of it.
The dice are fine for what they are..slightly light in weight but not below standard. Perfectly useable. You could always substitute if you want weightier dice. Pawns are wooden, nice, good weight to them.

3) Cards: Nice, standard weight, maybe a smidgen lighter than a deck of cards. For you card sleevers out there, you'll definitely want to sleeve them. Especially in this game, as cards aren't used in hands really, and you just draw and discard, the slickness of sleeves won't be an issue. Also, the cards' backside are black, so sleeving them will keep the worn edges of black to show the natural white below. The art on the cards is simple, not to mean poor in any way. Just the style, is a simple one. The card has the bust of a conqueror, in that cool sort of black ink art you might find in a history book or art gallery when describing a certain figure who existed before photography. The cards are colorful, not cluttered, and do the job nicely. They feel smooth, and are glossy, but won't be an issue since players are really only handling one card at a time usually.

4) The game board is nice. The map is colorful, well drawn out. The board isn't cluttered, with the point tracks on the bottom half. The color is rich, and the board is in that same matte finish as the box. The map is folding, and does so 2 times. The board is not split like in some games, all folds are "hinged". The creases in the board won't affect game play. Its your normal folding board.

5)
The insert is throw-away-able. I mean, when I opened the game, everything fit nicely. But with the expansion cards, and all of the components coming in baggies, the insert is not a must. You can decide if you want it or not.

I am not disappointed at all with the way this game looks. It looks and feels like some money was put into the production. Even if the designer looked to save money, it doesn't come across that way overall. Very nice components, great art, nice package. In fact, I'm quite pleased at the look and feel of the game.

I really like the smaller size of the box, in my closet it is a welcome sight.

Now I just have to find someone to play it with...maybe Jeff will invite me back to his house for a game! (I do remember playing his prototype 3 or 4 years ago when another BGGer introduced me to Jeff. Way back then, it was a really fun, smooth, game. Played in a short time, really scratched the "conquer the world lite" itch. This will be a great addition to anyone's collection that likes this genre.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, sweet! Upload some pics in the database entry - it only has the one promo image at the moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get on that tonight!

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim pinto

Washington
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I opened mine and here it is...

http://youtu.be/0aT5xEHzZBc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.