Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Just wondering your opinion...

If the British win the game through having 6 or more colonies under their control by the time the North Government collapses back in London, what does this mean historically?

North's government got a vote of no confidence still...so I find it hard to believe that the British outright WON no matter what.

Do we get a divided North American dominion; some colonies still loyal to the Crown forming a dominion like Canada, and possibly winning some new rights of independence and representation in the process, and then some colonies remaining independent?

Do the British still lose but just save face and have a better "set-up" of Loyalists for the next war with the US? (War of 1812.)

I like to be able to talk about what happened in "real history" terms during my war games, and as an American, this game's outcome is very close to home. :)

Great game by the way; playing my 3rd game right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1781, the American economy was on the verge of collapsing. The British controlled New York City, Hartford, RI, Georgia and South Carolina. They were pushing their way into North Carolina and after that into Virginia.

The French were even starting to pressure us into negotiating a peace, which would have allowed the British to hold on to their conquered colonies, similar to how after the war, North America was divided (Britain got Canada and we got ... well, us). Had we crushed the Brits at every turn, the U.S. today would be all of North America North of the Rio Grande River.

So yeah, the 6 colonies represent the British taking some of the colonies for themselves at the bargaining table instead of losing all 13 of them.

(That also puts into perspective why the Battles of King's Mountain and Cowpens were so important: it turned back the British invasion of North Carolina, and why Greene's battles were so important: it eventually pushed the British back into Charleston and Savannah, so that all they had control of by war's end was 4 cities.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
And more importantly, we would likely all be spared Mel Gibson's contrubtion to this significant period of history - The Patriot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The chief implication is that we'd all be speaking English now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
The chief implication is that we'd all be speaking English now.

Someone once told me that a vote was once held to decide on the official language of the new state and English only won out over German by one vote. Is this apocryphal or does it have basis in fact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the U.S. has never had an official language of any kind. There's actually an entry in snopes about this story:

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/german.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
airjudden wrote:
In 1781, the American economy was on the verge of collapsing. The British controlled New York City, Hartford, RI, Georgia and South Carolina. They were pushing their way into North Carolina and after that into Virginia.

The French were even starting to pressure us into negotiating a peace, which would have allowed the British to hold on to their conquered colonies, similar to how after the war, North America was divided (Britain got Canada and we got ... well, us). Had we crushed the Brits at every turn, the U.S. today would be all of North America North of the Rio Grande River.

So yeah, the 6 colonies represent the British taking some of the colonies for themselves at the bargaining table instead of losing all 13 of them.

(That also puts into perspective why the Battles of King's Mountain and Cowpens were so important: it turned back the British invasion of North Carolina, and why Greene's battles were so important: it eventually pushed the British back into Charleston and Savannah, so that all they had control of by war's end was 4 cities.)

Good thoughts, thank you. In our timeline, did the British control (in WW terms) any of the colonies in 1783? (Besides Canada.) I know at the time of/around the Battle of Yorktown they were going with a strategy of firmly securing the Southern colonies with loyalist support; did they "control" Georgia at war's end?

Another question in terms of history vs./being-part-of the game, how could the Declaration of Independence not be issued in the entire war, and the colonists still win?

Just seems strange to me.

On the whole great game; really gets down the way the war was fought in terms of winning battles being only a means to the end of securing political support of municipalities and farmers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.