United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn I was taught the game this way:

1. First player places a card they can afford up for auction.

2. Each other player, in reverse player order, decides if they want to buy the card or not.

3. If nobody buys the card, the player placing the card up for auction must buy it.

However I just read the rules carefully and it says the following, effectively, for step 2:

2. Each other player, in forward player order, decides if they want to buy the card or not. The last player who decides they want it, gets it.

(The exact wording is "In player order, the other players have one chance to buy this card for themselves. The player furthest down in the player order who wants to buy the offered card... [gets it]")
_
The difference here is subtle... the end result is the same of course, but players earlier in the turn order "reveal" more information about what they want.

Does this really matter much? It just seems simpler to go in reverse player order and first person who wants it gets it.

-Dav
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
I was also (incorrectly) taught the way you were.

Yes, it makes a difference to play correctly; that information and commitments from the proper way to play are not trivial, and the end result is not the same; the process matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
but players earlier in the turn order "reveal" more information about what they want.

This!

It is quite deliberately written that way, see Henning's post here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
I could have sworn I was taught the game this way:

1. First player places a card they can afford up for auction.

2. Each other player, in reverse player order, decides if they want to buy the card or not.

3. If nobody buys the card, the player placing the card up for auction must buy it.

However I just read the rules carefully and it says the following, effectively, for step 2:

2. Each other player, in forward player order, decides if they want to buy the card or not. The last player who decides they want it, gets it.

(The exact wording is "In player order, the other players have one chance to buy this card for themselves. The player furthest down in the player order who wants to buy the offered card... [gets it]")
_
The difference here is subtle... the end result is the same of course, but players earlier in the turn order "reveal" more information about what they want.

Does this really matter much? It just seems simpler to go in reverse player order and first person who wants it gets it.

-Dav

It did make a difference in one of my games.

I only wanted to buy the tool, if 1 specific player wanted it. Otherwise, I wanted to wait. This let me make the right choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
etherton wrote:
but players earlier in the turn order "reveal" more information about what they want.

This!

It is quite deliberately written that way, see Henning's post here

Sorry... I looked over the other questions first to make sure this wasn't a repeat, I somehow managed to miss that one.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.