Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I want a new game and I've narrowed it between this and Summoner wars master set. I hear great things about both and they both look really deep and fun. I also really like that it's same world just different games. I know they are completely different games and play completely different. When we play it's 6 people plus so that is a factor, but If I understand right I can print off some paper boards and play 6 players with just with the summoner wars master set(3, 2 on 2 battles). I haven't played many dugeon crawler games except munchkin quest which was easy to understand and enjoyable. My complaint with it is that it took forever and was just not over all didn't ever make us want to ever play it again. I hear dungeon run is simple and the time to play is shorter as well. I will eventually get both, but for now just one.

Ok, so I am kinda babbling... What gets to the table more? Which do you like better? Recommendations and opinions... go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted both also. I chose DR as my first because I prefer the exploration aspect, tile laying, and miniatures over the 2D battle of cards. I still want Summoner Wars, but DR satisfied my "miniature battling/dungeon crawling/what's around the next corner" itch as a first order of business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got both games. Summoner Wars is designed for 2 players and is best for 2 players. Dungeon Run, on the contrary, only shines when you have 4 players.
It's difficult to compare both games as SW is a PvP little 'war' game while Dungeon Run is a light-hearted dungeon dweller with a twist of betrayal.
In short, if you plays mostly with a fixed opponent then go for SW. Otherwise get DR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T B
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say if your group is 6 player or more, get Summoner Wars. You can have a game of 2 on 2 and a game of 1 v 1, or a mini tournament, or a cup type format.

Dungeon Run seems to hit it's sweet spot (pre expansion) with 4 players - with six I just don't think there are enough tiles...

CRC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO Summoner Wars as is the more polished game.

That being said, if you're into CCGs and got a bit of chess in you. Summoner Wars is an auto-buy.

However, if you have a group of friends who don't mind a light group actvity game. I guess Dungeon Run works, but I'd argue there are better games out there who fill this niche.

PS
Summoner Wars is my favorite game in my collection. So either take that as a vote of confidence or a biased opinion or both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That being said, if you're into CCGs and got a bit of chess in you. Summoner Wars is an auto-buy.

However, if you have a group of friends who don't mind a light group actvity game. I guess Dungeon Run works, but I'd argue there are better games out there who fill this niche.

I agree completely, and I've played both. Summoner Wars is an incredible game and I don't think I will ever tire of it. If I want a group experience, I'll do D&D Boardgames (light) or Descent (medium).

Dungeon Run is NOT a bad game by any means; just not top-tier, at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the box is DR only 4 players max?

This is tough. I think SW will be a better choice but I'm not sure how 3 mini games will go over.
Then I think DR cause it seems good and can scratch the itch of that still game and be short enough to play again or play another game in one night. If a game goes over 2hrs its not gonna get much table time in our group.

Thanks for you help, I look forward to seeing what more people have to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:

PS
Summoner Wars is my favorite game in my collection. So either take that as a vote of confidence or a biased opinion or both!

If I were to post, it would look like dyeyk2000's... so I'll just quote him instead. Even down to the favourite game part.

SW is indeed the much more polish game of the two though, but it really don't scale well with that many players unless they are all playing together and even then I won't find SW as a large group party game... meh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run is 1-6. Summoner Wars is 2 only unless you get extra boards or print more. I've only ever played it 1v1, myself.

If you have a big group, Dungeon Run is hysterically fun. Neither game is going to accommodate more than 6 players without fooling around with the rules, so I would just go with the game that comes closest to the size of your group -- Dungeon Run.

Also, Dungeon Run has 8 heroes, so if you fool with the rules or get a second set (or wait for the expansion), you can use the extra tiles to make a huge 8-player dungeon.

I wouldn't fret over your choice. Both are fun games, so you can't go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if anyone cares but I got summoner wars and love it. Man it gets squeezed in places in game night I never would have thought. As the one last game or the late comers game but what is really cool is that it get chosen over other games. I immediately got like almost all the factions I lack the 2nd starter(GD vs. CG) and the 2 new factions(FL& mercs). Very please with my purchase.

Also a friend bought DR due to my talking about it while I liked it and had a great time playing even though i fell prey to the I killed the boss that means i die first. I am so much more pleased with summoner wars and know it will see tons more table time than Dungeonrun ever will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.