Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished reading the rules (so I may have missed something).

It doesn't look like there is an option for the crew to do a controlled bailout (that gives them a better chance of staying alive) over England before a heavily damaged bomber attempts a landing.

Should this option be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing says you can't bail out anytime you want and it would make sense to do so if your DRM are so high to make landing the plane a suicide attempt.

Having said that, it is considered bad form for a gamer to have the pilot and co-pilot (and possibly the flight engineer) jump ship if there are seriously wounded men aboard (who can't jump).

Jump the able-bodied crew, but try to bring the wounded in.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries there.

What I had in mind was the crew jumping and Pilot or Co-pilt bringing the bird in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa... if there are no seriously wounded men on board, no sense risking the pilot and co-pilot on a bird that will most likely be written off. Set a course out to sea so it crashes where it will not possibly injure anyone when it comes down and jump them too. I would just make them the last to jump (in the die roll sequence - co-pilot, then pilot).

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StocktonDave wrote:
Whoa... if there are no seriously wounded men on board, no sense risking the pilot and co-pilot on a bird that will most likely be written off. Set a course out to sea so it crashes where it will not possibly injure anyone when it comes down and jump them too. I would just make them the last to jump (in the die roll sequence - co-pilot, then pilot).

David

Good point. Just thinking about the "Winning the Game" conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:

Oh an optimist. surprise

"Forget about 25 missions pal, lets just survive this one" - I read this somewhere....

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you.

I'm a salad player - all green and fresh.

My crew's off to Amiens tonight. I'll see how I sound after an actual mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:

It doesn't look like there is an option for the crew to do a controlled bailout (that gives them a better chance of staying alive) over England before a heavily damaged bomber attempts a landing.

StocktonDave wrote:
Nothing says you can't bail out anytime you want and it would make sense to do so if your DRM are so high to make landing the plane a suicide attempt.

Having said that, it is considered bad form for a gamer to have the pilot and co-pilot (and possibly the flight engineer) jump ship if there are seriously wounded men aboard (who can't jump).

David

StocktonDave wrote:
David

Damjon wrote:

Yes Dave is spot on! Though I do think there is a mentioned of the pilots & the engineer flying the plane during bailing out on the appropriate table cards. If you bring in a plane with wounded there could be medals in it. Or jump and leave wounded onboard and spend the rest of the war in the brig... Until we need a volunteer for a suicide mission...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StocktonDave wrote:

David

Jim has rules somewhere for pushing SW crewmen out of the plane, which I took advantage of on one particularly gory mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:

Jim has rules somewhere for pushing SW crewmen out of the plane, which I took advantage of on one particularly gory mission.

Yes I do... Can't find them in the forum but I do have them at home. If anyone would like to see them let me know and I'll get them to you.

But these rules are more for planes that have to go down with serious wounded onboard. It is more likely for them to survive a landing... but not always like Gamer72 said, though you can use them in the above situation.

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see them. And use them in the upcoming bombing missions if they are allowable under the optional rules.

Better having a chance at being a live POW then a dead airman going down with the plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:

I don't think there is any specific rule in the rulebook preventing you from bailing out (other than having seriously wounded crew), but the reality of it was bailing out of an aircraft over friendly territory was somewhat discouraged because the plane crash is uncontrolled. You wouldn't want your B-17 crashing into a British town or village, would you? Or worse, a school or hospital.

There are stories of pilots or crews bailing out over home territory only to find out later that their fighter or bomber crashed into something other than an open field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
Damjon wrote:

I don't think there is any specific rule in the rulebook preventing you from bailing out (other than having seriously wounded crew), but the reality of it was bailing out of an aircraft over friendly territory was somewhat discouraged because the plane crash is uncontrolled. You wouldn't want your B-17 crashing into a British town or village, would you? Or worse, a school or hospital.

There are stories of pilots or crews bailing out over home territory only to find out later that their fighter or bomber crashed into something other than an open field.

Funnily enough I'd actually never considered all the crew bailing out. More a single pilot attempting the landing.

Though the inherent stupidity of this has been pointed out blush and allowing the crew to bail out over land and then ditching the bus in the channel seems a much smarter strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
I'd like to see them. And use them in the upcoming bombing missions if they are allowable under the optional rules.

Better having a chance at being a live POW then a dead airman going down with the plane.

Damo,

I think I'll post them in the file section this weekend so they should be up and ready for Mission 84 or 85 depending the speed they get approve.

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The errata says, "Crew members may voluntarily bail out over England (table G-9) before attempting a dangerous landing."

You can decide what specific policies actually make sense. If the plane has a chance of landing in one piece, the pilot and copilot should stay aboard. And if there are seriously wounded crew, soldiers will not abandon their comrades and someone should try to land the plane. But if the engineer is bringing home a plane with all the crew either dead or bailed out, it makes more sense for him to save his own life than to try to land a plane which will probably be wrecked anyway.

Those are the rules used in an old play by Email game:

http://www.b17pbemgame.com/Game_Rules.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.