12 Posts

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game» Forums » General

Subject: So how long does this game last? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nick haritodiplomenos
Greece
flag msg tools
I read a lot of reviews but cant really figure out if this game takes a long time to finish. My group plays pretty fast, games like Arkham Horror usually take us 2:30 hours max and that is usually the duration we accept. Some people say Arkham horror lasts 4 hours for example though, thats why i am asking here too, because 4 hours was simply not a realistic amount of time. Other games that I own and usually last long are battlestar galactica, struggle of empires, runewars (which i actually like because it feels like the right amount of time) and Starcraft, which is just TOO long even at our rate. How does this game do compared to those in terms of duration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Drabek
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is about an hour per person regardless of what version you decide to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found our two-player games generally go for around 1.5 hours, while the three player game I played took about 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
About 30 to 40 minutes per person if your group are competent - there's very little AP in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick haritodiplomenos
Greece
flag msg tools
Im sorry I should mention we usually play with at least 5-6 people. So we are looking at around 3:00 - 3:30 hours at best here I guess (we do play pretty fast so I took the 40mins per player turn duration)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haritos wrote:
Im sorry I should mention we usually play with at least 5-6 people. So we are looking at around 3:00 - 3:30 hours at best here I guess (we do play pretty fast so I took the 40mins per player turn duration)

5-player competitive or co-op should be about 3 hours. 6-player team should be 2.5-3 hours. Team mode is the fastest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any boardgame with lots of people increases the playtime and not necessarily the enjoyment. For instance, Arkham Horror is a fun game, but I don't think I would enjoy it as much with too many players (I would get bored very quickly waiting for my turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick haritodiplomenos
Greece
flag msg tools
I aggree, we just enjoy the RP and stuff. Also we discuss our actions together in phase 1 and then proceed to execute them on the next phases, so theres really not a lot of downtime. Was hoping it could be sort of the same way here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our last 4 player competitive game lasted 4 hours almost to the mark and it was neck and neck the entire time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our relaxed 4-5 player competitive games with all rules (including a Vile Organization) have lasted from 90 to 240 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 hrs for 4-5 people. I've seen it go faster depending on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haritos wrote:
I read a lot of reviews but cant really figure out if this game takes a long time to finish. My group plays pretty fast, games like Arkham Horror usually take us 2:30 hours max and that is usually the duration we accept. Some people say Arkham horror lasts 4 hours for example though, thats why i am asking here too, because 4 hours was simply not a realistic amount of time. Other games that I own and usually last long are battlestar galactica, struggle of empires, runewars (which i actually like because it feels like the right amount of time) and Starcraft, which is just TOO long even at our rate. How does this game do compared to those in terms of duration?

Game length is HIGHLY dependent on how long people shake dice before throwing.

Also, once you get the rules down (1st hour?) you should start playing in parallel a bit.

Also, you should have multiple "bankers".

1 person handles the fortune
1 person handles the glory
1 person handles setting up artifacts whenever one is collected.

If you want a faster game which is fun but not too much faster, start people out with one random ally and one random item every time they are KO'd and at setup..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.