Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Follow up to Summer 1965:
The Vietcong did not capture any more Capitols in the 2nd Game Turn of Summer 1965, but only several more VC were dispersed or destroyed by American operations. I think the total VC units removed in Summer 1965 was about a dozen.
The Summer Turns operations were mainly to spread out the newly placed US divisions (23rd Division and 1 Marine Division) and ARVN regiments from the Ports that they arrived in. Naturally, this was done while chasing local VC and killing some
Fall Interphase:
No Coups, SVN Government relatively stable!
"?" is leader (+1/0), which is great for the SVN Morale. Hopefully, no one replaces him too soon… The SVN Politics is a remarkably historical representation of the intrigues, plots, factions, and infighting that was occurring in SVN. It is always interesting to try to replace leaders, only to get worse ones! The best one-star leader (the "7" value) was lost to forced replacement. Sigh. The SVN Army still has some good one-star Division Leaders, but only II Corps has a positive 2-star leader. I,III, and IV Corps are just a disaster. The chief of staff is a "2" value 2-star leader, which is okay for now.

The US brought in another heavy season of 50 Commitment:
1st Air Cav Division to the Delta in IV Corps
6 more 175mm US Artillery
24 Air Points
12 Replacements
10 Airmobile Points
6 Commitment providing 42 SVN military supplies
The Navy: 2 more cruisers and the battleship.
Remainder of the 3rd Marine Division as well.

So… at the end of the Fall Interphase, the US has 4 Divisions on the ground. (1st Cav, 1st Marine, 3rd Marine, and 23rd Division)

The SVN army built some regiments, and only 4 of their 13 HQs. The ARVN are concentrating their non-garrison forces into the II Corps, which is the only Corps where they have a chance to be effective. For the Fall 1965 Turn, about 6 ARVN Divisions are effective, all in II Corps.

The ARVN Paratroop Division is effective under the chief of Staff, and it is deployed in IV Corps in the province of Chau Doc on the Cambodian Disputed Border Region.

Thoughts on US Equipment and Advantages so far:

1.) The riverine points I had bought to assist the !st Marine Division in the Delta are very, very useful. I can run over the black line water obstacle hexsides, and easily pursue the VC, which have to pay the +3 MP foot costs each time they cross one of the rivers. Very nice to use this American material advantage to good use.

2.) The purchase of the US 175mm Artillery has been a good decision. They have enough punch (10 artillery support) that, when combined with a nearby Cruiser or Dedicated Divisional HQ artillery, they allow the operation they are assigned to to often achieve the +2 Interdiction needed to catch the VC. Their fine range also keeps them hitting in round 2 of an operation, if you park them close to the target hex initially. Because they cannot be airmobilized, they cannot pursue… so park them close to the target hex to keep them in the operation for a round or two.
Having lots of US 175mm Artillery around allows effective operations without the need to declare Free Fire. That is helpful to the US come pacification time.

3.) The ARVN Rangers are just so cool, and very effective. I rolled a disproportionate number of 6's during operations, so sometimes the Rangers didnt show up for me. However, when they did, they proved extremely useful for surrounding the enemy and are really quite fast, with 8 foot MPs each.

4.) Their were quite a few 6's rolled on Alert Rolls by the VC. This can be very frustrating for the US player. What a wonderful system is this game design. The VC are elusive, and that only creates a sense of achievement when they are successfully eliminated by a Search and Destroy.

5.) I used a Battleship by itself to Bombard a NVN regiment hiding in the Forests of NVN near Con Thien. Battleship Support =16, NVN ground strength 7. So the Bombardment was on the 23 column (a reasonable column). Rolled a 6. But even with the best result, it only did 2 replacement damage to the NVN. I would think that the Battleship would be better employed to be assigned to an actual operation, where its 16 Firepower could potentially be used each round, rather than a one-shot bombardment.

Other Notes on our Campaign:
Fall Game Turn 1 is complete.

17 VC Battalions and 1 Political Section were eliminated, which is much better than the 12 that were eliminated in ALL of the Summer 1965.

NVN has created elements of a new Division and send it down the trail - with independent NVN Artillery - and stopped on the Trail just opposite Kontum along the Northern Cambodian border. This is a good place for them to operate, as they will almost always have the -3 Combat DRM from the many mountains in the area, and the entire Kontum area is rather remote and difficult for the US player to operate in well.

Because of this, the US player purchased a decent amount of Airmobile Points, so that movement and pursuit will be easier in the mountains of Quang Tin, Quang Gnai, and Kontum. The VC have also been using these very same mountains as a hideout, an an effective one. Searching and Destroying a VC in the depths of these mountains can be a task, and has also proved to be a drain on US helicopters and air power, as these are most necessary to use in operations in this region (meaning they are vulnerable to loss in these operations to which they have been assigned.)

The US lost three air points, and 2 airmobile points in Game Turn 1 of Fall 1965.

So Operations will continue in Vietnam with the Fall 1965 Game-Turn 2 when DrMark and I continue the weekend of February 4th.

Randy Knight (playing with DrMark)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His airmobile and riverines are really cramping my style. I am cringing at the possibility that the pacification effort may swing some population his way. I hate to continue to send my VC battalions to their death for no good reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three articles about diffrent strategies in the file section. I´ve found it quite interesting to read them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early game is always a blast for the US. You get to buy all of the cool toys. 173rd ABN? Sure! 101st? Sure!

Later on, times get tough. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to later on when the US is tapped out. Very tough right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.