10 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Hapsburg 'Diplomatic Marriage' on turn 1 is powerful! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so much a 'session report', so much as a few comments on our last played game. I played a 3-player game on the weekend with some friends (both with 3 games under their belt). I played as Hapsburgs/Papacy.

It was great to see 'Diplomatic Marriage' dealt to me on the first turn, and I used it to ally with Hungary. This adds two keys to the Hapsburgs, bringing their total to 11. I then captured Metz towards the end of turn 1 (had to fight the French for it), bringing me to 12 keys and giving me an extra card.

On turn 2 I focused on building up my military and my navy (preparing for an Ottoman offensive), and sent off some voyages of exploration and a colony.

On turn 3, the Ottomans Spring Deployed to place a large army in a position to invade Italy, whilst keeping another large (10CU) force behind to defend the Empire. The French, concerned about the growing Hapsburg military might, sued for peace (and also sued to get Montmorency back, who had been captured in the fight for Metz).

However, without the Hungarian keys the Ottomans were only dealt a few cards and their invasion faltered. I then forced them to discard their last held (non-home) card through play of Halley's Comet. Within 3-4 card plays they were out of cards, and the Hapsburgs still had 6-7 cards left in their hand. I sent a moderate Hapsburg force (about 12 CUs) into Ottoman territory, avoiding the large defensive stacks (and avoiding any chance they had to intercept), and marched into Greece, capturing the two keys down there, bringing the Hapsburg total to 14, and giving the Hapsburgs and auto-win.

Perhaps the Ottoman's shouldn't have split their forces and ventured on an invasion of Italy whilst holding so few cards, it was certainly a risky move. Nonetheless, the Hapsburgs having Diplomatic Overture on the first turn really hurt the Ottomans, denying them of the Hungarian keys and allowing the Hapsburgs to move their defences forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
In a three player game, surrendering with the French on the same turn you want to attack the Habsburgs with the Turks makes little to no sense, in my opinion. Especially if the Emperor has married some Hungarian tart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That and why did the Ott have only one card? He can save two. So, if your main opponent has 7 more cards than you, you build a alot. Then when get down to two cards (these being good ones), you pass out the turn or til late in the turn. It's not perfect, but it helps mitigate your weakness.

Finally, why go after the Papacy if the Haps are so strong. Sounds like he needed a pow-wow with the Prot and French. (That's for the 6player game, it's even worse in a game where the Ottoman IS the French player.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why didn't the Ottoman take Belgrade on turn 1? He's now at war with the Hapsburg and taking Belgrade is an even better idea than usual

That he is also playing France only increases the need to divert the Hapsburgs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good suggestions, and I think this is all part of the learning curve. It was the first time this person had played the Ottomans and they may have been little unsure on 'best strategy'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
All good suggestions, and I think this is all part of the learning curve. It was the first time this person had played the Ottomans and they may have been little unsure on 'best strategy'.

Perhaps you can chaulk it up to getting lucky, but it sounds like the Ottoman did not exactly understand what to do. That's to be expected in a game like this though. Those first few games can be rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
Amnese wrote:

Perhaps you can chaulk it up to getting lucky, but it sounds like the Ottoman did not exactly understand what to do. That's to be expected in a game like this though. Those first few games can be rough.

Yeah, the Ottoman opening moves in the 1517 scenario are very scripted...if you don't know the script and don't happen to work it out you are in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Angel Perez
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
SW_Cygnus wrote:
Amnese wrote:

Perhaps you can chaulk it up to getting lucky, but it sounds like the Ottoman did not exactly understand what to do. That's to be expected in a game like this though. Those first few games can be rough. :D

Yeah, the Ottoman opening moves in the 1517 scenario are very scripted...if you don't know the script and don't happen to work it out you are in trouble.

I still believe that the Ottoman has to be creative to avoid the usual situation of 16 VPs at the end of T3 with nowhere to go.
The 'script' in T1 can be altered so very slightly at marginal cost in CP to provide extra flexibility for whatever opportunities present in T2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
SW_Cygnus wrote:
Amnese wrote:

Worse yet... sometimes you can know the script and get arrogant! My first Ottoman PBEM game (494th Anniversary) I tried to take out Rhodes and Belgrade the first turn. My rolls failed miserably and I literally shot myself in the foot. It is currently the fifth turn and I finally have taken Buda. Brutal. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be equally fair, it was the second time I'd played the Hapsburgs (I came 2nd last in a 6p game firs time), so I didn't exactly know what I was doing myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.