Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How well does the game work if I remove _some_ of the take that cards. The more powerful ones that cause you to lose a whole turn and such.

I'm fine with take that style play, but I'm wondering if a few little omissions could help cut down the playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I don't think I'd remove anything. It certainly won't improve the play speed.

Practice will let you play faster. Nothing much else really. This is a slow game - one player must completely spend all their action points before the next one goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly. -- Neil Gaiman, Sandman Vol 6
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosine is right, the only thing that really helps with speeding the game up is familiarity. My first game was with a group that had at least one heavily-AP prone player, and it took 7 hours. It was noticeable that after the first week's turns, game play had already sped up quite a lot. Leaving the lose a turn style dark cards won't speed the game up, because people will get more turns. It might reduce the chance of someone getting punched at the table, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find what helps the speed the most is telling people, "Don't get too invested in a plan; someone's probably going to ruin it anyway."

If they don't like the sound of that, Android probably isn't going to work for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game with rules and all was only about 4.5 hours. We just didn't really AP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that nobody's mentioned yet, which reduces play time considerably, is to play with only three players.

It also helps to have players plan out their turns in advance. There's a fair amount of quasi-downtime--not completely, because you do need to watch what everyone else is doing, but there'll still be ample opportunities to think about one's next turn. As the pete says, you will inevitably have to change your plans, and even if someone doesn't ruin them outright, there are unforeseen elements like moving leads or newly drawn cards that might make you reconsider, but in general, when it comes around to each player, they should be able to say something like "okay this turn I'm hoping to follow up both those leads, including movement that's five time, and if the card from that ritzy location is good I'll play it, otherwise I'll start to head towards City Hall." If you play like that, some turns will still take a while, but a lot of them will be over in like 30 seconds.

edit: though you do want to at least go slowly enough that people won't try to rush past bad baggage or dark card opportunities; to echo the others, this is where practice and familiarity make a difference in how quickly you can keep things moving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
One thing that nobody's mentioned yet, which reduces play time considerably, is to play with only three players.

It also helps to have players plan out their turns in advance. There's a fair amount of quasi-downtime--ng

This is exactly right.

This isn't a game that gets brought out on a whim. When my group plays this it's a specific Android night, limit of 4 players, we use a turn clock, and I have it set up and ready to go when the players arrive. With the 4 player limit it's also a "no AP" policy. The guy in my group who turned Catan into a 4 hour game doesn't get the invite for this one.

While you should have your plan or idea of your move going while other players are playing, the reality is some people just won't do that. My group is very social and there is a lot of chatting and beer drinking at the table. The timer helps force them into thinking about what they will do on their offturn and cuts down on the AP.

It's really a game where knowing the rules and flow of the game speeds it up considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this timer idea. How long do you give for each turn? How long does it take 4 to play with a timer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.