Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
Haute-Savoie, Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In about 10 games, I think I've seen the Germans win about twice. Do you have a similar experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Choong
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
It seems to be about evens in my experience. One pattern I have noticed is that you basically have two options as Rommell:

a) win quickly and decisively before the British can deploy their full might and before the US lands in your rear. This does encourage a risky aggressive strategy.

b) attack frequently to destroy enemy units and keep the British forces manageable, but without seeking a truly decisive result until the Germans are stronger. Again, this has its problems as you almost inevitably suffer defeats as well.

The Allied victories I have seen of course occur when the British player fails to dance to the German tune!

Do you routinely play one side and do you have a regular opponent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it occasionally.

The "guess right" mechanics of combat, while fun, make it very random.

Another problem is the "snowballing" effect: when you start losing units, not only do you lose combat power, but you also lose card draws every turn, which makes things even more difficult. The last turns of the game are frequently a slow but sure death. There is no incentive to resist either, because there is no turn limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Choong
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
Hi There,

Same here. In fact, I only checked back to this section of the Geek because I got the game out of the cupboard this week.

I do enjoy the combat mechanic, but I agree with you about the 'snowballing'. I have a regular opponent and if things are looking hopeless we will sometimes surrender to allow time for another game.

The lack of a turn limit may be something that could be got round. My tentative proposal would be to use the US landings as a 'passage of time' marker (game ends a certain number of turns after they land), or to agree an absolute limit beforehand for the whole game. I realise this would involve a lot of tinkering as most games may end up as a draw, and you'd then have to fall back on a homemade VP system.

I might try these out in the next game to see what works. Would you be interested to know if it turns into something workable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, keep posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Choong
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
Dear Pierre,

Please accept my humblest apologies for never updating you on this one. I never got a chance to trial my 'turn limit' idea as my regular opponent moved to another city and I have not played the game since 2012!

I recently moved house myself and found it again amongst the metaphorical debris. I'm going to blow the dust off it and give this another go!

All best,

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.