Ora et Labora» Forums » General

Subject: Normal scores in the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played it two times now with three players I wonder how much people actually score in it. What is a decent score?

I assume we play less than optimal as we can't seem to get any chains going, or we are simply to destructive in our way of playing. Better to disrupt someone else than to do something good yourself. devil

Anyway, in our two games 3-player long games the winner has scored 225 (Ireland) and 215 (France) points. We all felt that with some proper planning you should be able to increase this quite a lot, is it so?

What is your normal winning score?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the two short 2-player games I've played, the winner was around 300 (297 & 307, France and Ireland respectively).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom alphin
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was a 3 player game (France deck) and the winning score was 238. I've since played two more short 2-player games (both Ireland) and the highest score I've seen was 301.

With three main avenues to achieve points, (settlements, VP's on cards, VP's on resources) there seem to be a lot of places to optimize your game over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Morland
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one 3 and three 4 player games and the winning scores have ranged between 205 and 239 points, I'd agree though that in each of those the winner has felt that they could have bumped it up by better settlement placement or being 1 turn more efficient which considering no one has played it that much it seems very possible that scores could shoot up, at least to the high 200s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
In the two short 2-player games I've played, the winner was around 300 (297 & 307, France and Ireland respectively).

What is considered a 2 player short game? Is it the one where you take out all the 3 and 4 player buildings?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a score for starting players is around the lower 200 mark. I'd imagine a good score would be in the upper 200's, lower 300's. 2 player is different of course (would be much higher). I imagine 3 and 4 player should be similar. Probably a bit lower in 4.

All of the scores in our first game (4 player) were around 210.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to be a very high scoring game. The very first time I played the game was that standard 2p version and we both scored almost 300 points. More experience with the game is only going to make that go up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Soderlund
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have completed 4 2-player games (one short and 3 long), all with Ireland. Our highest scoring game was 429-420. Our short game was in the low 300s. The other two have been in the mid-to-upper 300s. In the middle of game number 5.

Edited to add: Game number five was 343-313, which sounds like a blowout, but I ended the game just before my wife was able to get down her Highland Village settlement, which would have given her the win for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In both of the three-player games I've had, the winning score was around 230.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
My observation is that in 4 player the winning scores have tended to be 200 to 230 and in 3 player the winning scores are in the 225-260 range.

Note that in 3 player you only get +2 actions over a 4 player game, but you do tend to get more resources when you take an action and you can build more buildings and buy landscapes cheaper.

Over the course of a 4 player game you have 30 actions, but you need to devote a good number of them to getting food, cutting down trees and marsh, etc. The main thing which allows higher scores on occasion is when players get more efficient actions, but these efficient actions are often the result of poor play by the other players (ie, letting someone get 7 stone by building the quarry and using the wild right at the start of phase B). Better play will make the game tighter, perhaps even leading to lower scores, not higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Better play will make the game tighter, perhaps even leading to lower scores, not higher.

That explains our low score then. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Huang
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 2 3-players games, and having won both of them with a score around 230 (ireland) and then 250 (france).

I have a hard time discerning what a good play is, but I have a suspicion the only reason I won both games was I had better settlement placements. I was actually thinking about starting a strategy thread on the matter but having only played 2 games I didn't think I had enough experience.

Nonetheless, I've had what seems like pretty good success spacing out my later buildings such that the settlements are generally diagonal to each other. For instance, in my last game, I had something like this (I had one or two more buildings but they weren't adjacent to any settlements):

C6S5 S2
CS8S342
C4S7

C represents the coast, the numbers represent the settlement points. (The 3 in the centre is the farmyard from the beginning).

Anyway, the point is that when you count up the settlements, the individual settlements are each counted once. 4 of the buildings are counted twice, and one of the buildings (worth 8) was counted 4 times, where I tried to stack the buildings that are worth a lot of settlement points together.

Has anyone else devised any good settlement strategies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First 2 player game ended in mid 200's. The second, we were both a nudge over 400, 403 v 409, couldn't believe how close it was after that many points. Both were the short Ireland game, which is odd as they both got close to 3 hours play time!

We did fall foul of the "not wanting to buy the last cards" trap, which feels like a dampner on the 2 player game. And given the final score, it is difficult to determine if you're in the lead, which would make the crap end buildings more attractive to purchase if you thought you were winning.

Is the long game much longer? As I said, our games have clocked nearly 3 hours, but to get to the last settlement phase, it was probably under 2 hours, so had a an hour or so of can we be bothered to buy the negative settlement value buildings.

In the long game, you play with more cards and the end condition is 3 cards remaining. I wonder if this is easier to hit and the end comes a bit quicker, does anyone have a time comparison between long and short 2 player games? If the long game clocks in at 3 hours too, we'll start playing that exclusively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I have only played it three player and it has been very unusual for our games to last more than two hours, so it seems that this is one of the rare games where the two player games lasts longer than the three player. How funny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, after the last 2 player settlement phase, we must have looped the production wheel a couple more times, which I don't think happens in 3 and 4 player games. Wasn't an issue in our first game, but was in the second when we knew where all the points were coming from. We didn't even look to end the game until all wonders were purchased for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
What is considered a 2 player short game? Is it the one where you take out all the 3 and 4 player buildings?

Short answer: yes.
(Barely) long(er) answer: the one that is not called "Long two-player game", suprisingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
My observation is that in 4 player the winning scores have tended to be 200 to 230 and in 3 player the winning scores are in the 225-260 range.

Just an update to this after around 20 plays I'm scoring between 240-270 in 4 player games. I don't play 3 player as often as I do 4 but it seems the 3 player scores aren't much higher than the 4 player. I think this is because there are some powerful buildings which are added in the 4 player game even though players have 2 less actions in 4 player vs 3. It also may be due to small sample size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an epic battle between myself and my 12 year old daughter...she destroyed me with 285 points to my 194 in a two player long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Irvin
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
So I feel horrible now. I played my first game of this today at 4 players. I only got 124 points. The winner got 197.perhaps next time I will figure out a better strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.