Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Needing a Fresh Group of Eyes (And Brains) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zyke Perseron
msg tools
So, sometimes I love the idea of developing my own homemade board games. The problem is that sometimes I have a hard time finding inspiration for the mechanics and the inner workings of the game.

As a result of the drought going on in my inspiration well at the moment, I figured I'd come here and maybe get some ideas from folks if they're willing to share.

So far, what I have is a sort of game inspired by Catan. The end result of what I'm going for is most likely something that's similar, but maybe a little bit more complex without being overly so.

The things I do know I want this game of mine to include is, for starters:

1. A fantasy setting (fairly easy to establish with art and within the rules and terms for things, etc.)
2. Resources in some fashion (generally on cards, as I have ideas for a few)
3. Modular board setup (for that repeat play freshness feeling )

These are the things I'm sure about. Other mechanics I've considered thus far are things like scenarios that pop up from time to time (though what they would affect I'm having a hard time with), the addition of some sort of currency for purchasing resources, and the ability to build different 'unit' types (for instance, being able to build mines, farms, etc.).

I keep seeming to come back to Civilization-esque victory conditions, having players work their way through certain 'trees' that grant them points and ultimately victory, like so many military points or research points.

The issue I suppose is in trying to come up with something unique, but I'm not sure that's possible.

Many thanks in advance to the people who choose to offer their advice and time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the asylum!

OK, two quick suggestions.

#1 -- There are (with just a few exceptions) no new ideas in board game design.

Borrow from others who have gone before you. However, focus on one key concept in your prototype and polish it to a high sparkle.

#2 -- "When in doubt, leave it out."

Not sure about one element of your design? Toss it aside... you might come back to it later. Multiple mechanics intertwined in a single game can bog things down.

Quote:
having players work their way through certain 'trees' that grant them points

Complex point systems add depth to the play experience by offering several pathways to victory. However, the "tree" concept can be clunky and is frequently intimidating to new players.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zyke Perseron
msg tools
Quote:
However, the "tree" concept can be clunky and is frequently intimidating to new players.

Not sure tree is the right term. Just more like each one's a path. For instance, a military path, a technology path, a cultural path, etc. All of them branch off of one another.

Many of the problems I've encountered thus far are in regards to execution of any of these single mechanics, even when not utilized in concert with the others.

Notably at the moment I'm having a difficult time coming up with a method that isn't based on something random (dice roll, random drawing) for resource generation that gives resources to everyone at the same time for the sake of keeping all the players involved.

Originally, there was the idea that all of the resource nodes (most likely all of the different board pieces) generate resources all the time, and the dice roll simply determines how much, and in order for someone to collect, they must have a building on that node. The issue this creates is resources are no longer rare in any fashion, as you're always guaranteed what you need unless a very small margin of numbers is rolled on the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Zyke!
I've not seen you post here before - so first off: Welcome! nice to meet you.

Your more than welcome for our advice and time - thanks for being so cool as well, its nice to know that the guys that give advice are thanked.

Ok, first of all, I am not a bastard. Whatever I say it is in what (I think) is the best interests. So yeah I'm not Evil and please understand that this is all meant to be friendly help.

Quote:
So far, what I have is a sort of game inspired by Catan. The end result of what I'm going for is most likely something that's similar, but maybe a little bit more complex without being overly so.

Translation:

I haven't got anywhere yet. But I like Catan. I want to make a game that's like Catan. Maybe more complex, maybe less complex. So basically just like Catan.

NO ZYKE!!! DONT DO IT! lol

Catan is a game that has been made. As SOON as you start thinking "hmm yes, resources are nice, perhaps I will substitute the word "sheep" for "space credits" or "favor of the gods" or "unicorn tears". Perhaps then aso I will add event cards. So like Catan but where some random eventoccurs every few turns. Perhaps I will call city upgrades: "Farms" and use different coloured meeples to show it!" - This game should be posted in the "Variants" section in the Catan forrums.

No, no Zyke, your game is strong and your game is YOUR game, not a rehash of anyone elses game. Your game has fantasy coming out of the wazoo! It's new and innovative and elegant and AWESOMELY FUN! You are a mighty warrior designer Zyke! A king amongst the boardgame elite - it is your proud burden to create brilliant games that others play and think "wow this is great!". NEVER shall you copy others from the start!

So first off, that. Never start a game as "Its like [game name] but..." NEVER! lol

Ok *phew* now we've done that

Quote:
The issue I suppose is in trying to come up with something unique, but I'm not sure that's possible.

Is it possible to create something unique? Yes. And no. ANYTHING you make will be unique. It is yours. Even if you copied it word for word, you would no doubt put a different picture on it - thus unique. And also: NOTHING you make will be unique. Your game may have some awesome and heroicly unique "Double blind bluff, hold your breath till the round completes, first one to whistel a tune, flip your card onto your enemies town, mega-shuffle, D13 rolling, worker placement draught mechanism" attached to it - BUT, it uses cards. Cards are not unique. Therefore logically your games can never be unique.
Moreover:
Player 1: "I want unique. I want something that breaks boundaries and has never been done before - something that's not a rehash"
Player 2: "I want a fantasy game. I love fantasy games. I dont care what it is but I love fantasy games"
-these players both want you to design with different end goals in mind Zyke, and you cannot entirely satisfy them both, ever.

Ok so that rant was to show that "being unique" or "not being unique" is (for a large part) irrelevant. If you want to make a game I like, you should basically mix Fallout, carvans, MtG, Mad Max, Book of Eli, and Space Marine together with a smattering of retro pinups (p.s. already done: AtomPunk ) and I would love it. But its not new. OR you could make an amazing new concept and I would love it. So being "totally unique" is largely a pointless driver because I cannot entirely answer two questions involved with being utterly unique:

1. How?
2. Why?

Ok. So. What I will say is that having elements of succesful games is good. And having elements of new ideas is great. But I would ask that whatever you do, never start with "I am going to make a game that will be like X" - because you straight away alienate ALL possible game fans. The people who like X will not like your game, it just copies it. And people who do not like X will not like your game as it is too similar to X. You see man?

First of all, start your game with writing a little half paragraph to yourself to give you direction. Call it the "treatment". And it declares to you and the world, exaclty what the game is like. Mine for AtomPunk is this:

AtomPunk is an Innovative, compact, fun as hell boardgame that scales up for for serious gamers to really get your teeth into.
It knows it's a contender for peoples shelves and is not scared about matching up against other games due to its its charm and its enthralling and enticing story-top (table-top/story: the story, mechanics and flow of each game from turn one to the finish).
It does not get its power from Euro-style epic games. It gets it from just being an awesome game that people enjoy.

Now I have that glaring at me, my game already has personality and I know it won't "bow down" to others. It's a game in its own right. Great. Now, lets look for a theme. there are umpteen debates on "mechanics vs theme" but I love theme so lets find some unexplored themes:

What are some unexplored game themes?

Ok cool, now ideas are breaking in a little more, I can see things start to emerge. Well lets get involved with a little bit of that "try something new" approach, lets look for some novel uses of existing game components shall we?

Innovative and non standard mechanic uses for traditional boardgame pieces

Ok cool, so
1. I know what type of creature my game is going to grow up to be (after game school and Boardgame U)
2. I know what theme it's going to be emmersed in
3. I have an idea for some interesing cleverness
4. Now: I need some mechanics that I choose and like.

This bit Zyke is down to you. This is what makes a good designer a great designer. Best place to start here is to learn from people who know their stuff, lurk like a king here in the forums and over in Seth Jaffeess BGDF, and check something like this out:

What's the best game design book you've ever read
and

Best advice in game design

Ok so now we've got all the bits to make up your game! Now let's go straight on to the next step:

Help Zyke out with his current game!

first, think "is this right" with all the stuff I said before, anything from here downwards has taken your first post as law. These comments therefore are aimed at you "Settlers of Catan Clone":

I would suggest adding something in addition to the main resource dice roll. Perhaps a secondary dice with facings as opposed to numbers dictating perhaps certain new phases in the game play. Eg - one face would be labeled with the "adventurer" picture, so you could then have a little unit(s) that would be able to walk around the board, perhaps invading your enemies land and stealing their treasure or perhaps leaching their resource - whenever they gain X resource, if your adventurer is there, you also gain that. Or perhaps half of that. Of course if they want they can create an adventurer and have a little battle with yours like a king of the hill thing.

Perhaps, "If dice roll is above X" or something like "dice roll doubles" then you can enact a cool little event, the event would also perhaps have a conditional element that does not "affect all players" but the leading player would have some say in its affect. I would stay away from things like "Bumper Crop Harvest - everyone gets 1 wheat" as it is a little too sterile to add any real meat to the game. Perhaps a midifcation to Bumper Crop Harvest, leading player may take 1 wheat from two players" or "leading player may choose to pay 2 wheat now, if they do, they may purchase another villager" or "if they pay 2 wheat now, they may gain 4 wheat next turn. And each other player gains 1 wheat" - or somethign that is actually affecting to all players.

One of the big boons of a catan like game is that downtime is minimized. You spend most of your game scanning your sectors to look for dice rolls that match - so you are doing something at everyones turn. I would make the most of this and perhaps embellish it further. Perhaps people could create little trade caravans that can only travel on roads (that cannot be attacked) - they would provide resource when they arrive at another players city. But each player could say, choose a set of number (from a predefined selection - make sure they are fair) that when those numbers are rolled, not only do you gain the resource, but you also can move your caravan.

Perhaps some kind of card boons that you can play before or after your roll a dice that can change the roll of any one specific dice by 1 position. Kind of like: Roll "Yes a 11, I get loads of wood finally!" - "Not so fast! *play card* its a 12!" kind of thing - this would add a little more depth to it I am sure.

So yeah, wall of text I know, but I hope i've helped man, let me know when you come up with any further ideas

All the best of luck!

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zykerion wrote:

So far, what I have is a sort of game inspired by Catan.
[...]
2. Resources in some fashion (generally on cards, as I have ideas for a few)
3. Modular board setup (for that repeat play freshness feeling )
[...]
I keep seeming to come back to Civilization-esque victory conditions, having players work their way through certain 'trees'

By coincidence, I happen to be in the early stages of a similar kind of game myself, as part of the current Art & Game design contest:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/754549/wip-ag-game-conqu...

It's not a fantasy theme, but you're welcome to follow along, laugh at me and scrape any useful-looking mechanics from that!

I would strongly second the point Pete [Edit: and Sam!] made about uniqueness; it seems to me that people far too often hold themselves back trying to be 'unique' at the cost of being 'fun' or 'interesting'. You're never going to do something totally and utterly unique, so as long as you're not just literally repeating the exact same rules and mechanics an existing game has, I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone borrows from their inspiration, it's just that some are more honest about it than others!

(Obviously if you are just repeating the same rules and mechanics as an existing game that's fine too, just call it a 're-theme' or 'redesign' rather than a new game design. ;-)

To me, the reason to make a new game which is based on an existing game or type of game is that there's something I like in that class of game, but also things that I don't like. So as Pete says - make sure you're clear on the parts that you like, and emphasise those; pick out the parts you don't like, and try to de-emphasise or remove those; sooner or later your game will feel pretty unique without having to have put any effort into that in particular.

Zykerion wrote:
The issue this creates is resources are no longer rare in any fashion, as you're always guaranteed what you need unless a very small margin of numbers is rolled on the dice.

One possible approach here: make it easy and tempting for players to spend these resources even more quickly! I mention it 'cause it's the approach I'm taking; players can always harvest resources, no die roll, but each of the three resources has an in-game use; one is required to be used to keep your settlements alive, one is required to move your units around, the third is the scarcest and is used both as a building material and as a victory condition. Players can keep harvesting turn after turn, but they also keep spending their resources turn after turn.

Edit: I would also note that with regard to resource gain, if you're going for a continuous-resource approach you may want to look to RTS videogames as an inspiration as well; they tend to work on this model. Games like Starcraft or the Command and Conquer series; often the resources are finitely limited, but usually it's a large limit and pretty much guaranteed that if you send a resource-gatherer out to the resource field, you'll come back with a fixed number of it at a relatively predictable rate... and I've never played an RTS where it feels like resource-gathering is a bolt-on waste of time, it's all about balance! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sharrock
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Victory Trees point. The Civ team did well when they ported the game to make Civ Revolutions for the consoles and phones. The victory "trees" become stages in a line with bonuses at set points leading up to the victory.

E.g. Financial Victory was if you accumulated x amount of coins (say, 10,000) and you won if you hit that value. But along the way, at say, 100, 1000, 5000 etc, you'd get little perks as you hit those milestones (new tech, new unit etc). This is easy to understand but still gives the multiple paths of victory.

Ta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zyke Perseron
msg tools
Thank you all so far for the really great advice.

A few counterpoints to some of the things brought up (for clarification, of sorts):

The first thing is when I say 'inspired by Catan' I mean the general spirit of the gameplay, not necessarily all of the mechanics contained within that game. Many games utilize resource gathering as a means of advancing the gameplay, and by no means am I trying to create a clone. However, the means by which this is accomplished means somehow creating a set of mechanics that, when working together, create an experience that is just as fun (a sort of spiritual successor), but different so that people aren't just saying 'It's Catan with X mixed with Y.'

On the point regarding RTS games. I've played quite a few of these, no stranger to Starcraft (not very good at it, but not a stranger) and enjoy the elements that they bring to the table. Working some of those elements in to a board game however sometimes cause the gameplay to lag a little bit, and it becomes difficult to have everyone involved in the game at all times (Catan has everyone gathering resources every turn, granted a certain number is rolled. Pillars of the Earth, from what I understand, has everyone doing quite a bit each round from start to finish).

Now, on to some of the things I happened to brainstorm:

A few ideas sort of came to mind, namely the idea of having a big grid of square pieces that are turned face down and discovered as the game progresses, which allow for the collection of resources somehow. One of the problems that I ran into with this idea is how to generate the resources in the first place for building settlements, mines, farms, what have you, etc. That was sort of when the idea of money came in, in that you get a certain amount of money each turn, and you can use that to purchase initial resources, which leads to the rest.

The main issue that arises from that particular setup though is that everyone isn't participating somehow on a person's turn, except maybe when the person is trading with another player for their resources.

I was also hoping to reduce the luck/chance element entirely, such that there aren't any dice at all, and the game relies more heavily on player strategy.

Cards anymore are utilized in a lot of strategy games, and I like cards, so I really like the idea of using them somehow. I imagine they would chiefly be used to measure resources or allow for players to influence the game further through some sort of action the card allows them to perform. I was also thinking there may be certain cards that show up from time to time as a result of...something, I dunno. And they would wreak havoc somehow or provide a boon. Like, certain space provides extra resource this turn.

So, with all that in mind, I suppose one of the problems that would be good to iron out is utilization of the game space, along with what that game space will contain, whatever that might be. I'm leaning towards the grid system full of resource squares at the moment, but as this thread probably indicates, I'm extremely open to ideas. XD

P.S. I also really haven't gotten into the sort of overarching detail of what the setting is, beyond that it's a fantasy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add, it sounds to me like this is pretty much at the concept phase right now - is that correct?

I would venture to say that most of us who are interested in game design have at least a few and in some cases probably dozens of games that are at a concept level.

"Hey, wouldn't it be neat if there was a game where you built a map with tiles like Carcassonne, then drafted army and spell cards in some sort of deck-building fashion, and then you could deploy them on the map and fight? And the map tiles had different elemental resources you used to cast the spells and stuff!"

See? It's easy. Just pulled that right out of the air. It's got too much stuff going on, but whittled down enough it might be a decent game. Most game ideas I think start like that, the prior post about removing as much as you can is right on the money - streamline mercilessly.

Point is, if you're still at this stage, you've really got nothing yet. My advice would be to start getting some actual concrete rules written, build some prototype game pieces, and start the process of feeling out how the game actually works. The first rules will probably be junk, but that's expected, you'll discover this quickly and replace them with something better. Get something roughly playable, where it sort of works but it's not very good yet, and I think THEN would be a good time to seek feedback. As in, once there's something concrete to talk about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Heya Zyke, did you check out all of the links I gave yah? And all that stuff? And think about the ideas I gave?

ok just checkin'...

So when you say "I am making the game in the spirit of" - that is exactly what I mean. I know its not going to be a clone - that's cool. But if you start your game "in the spirit of" a game, you will inevitabley lead yourself back to your games original motive or "raison d'etre" moreover: Something like Catan. Eg: Catan.

If by that you actually mean "I want modular hex pieces" then cool. If by that you mean "I want to remove all down time" then cool. If by that you mean "I want dice roll resources" then cool. And if by that you mean "I want it to be a 2-6 light resource management game" then cool.

So currently, you have resources, building, event cards and an explorable square grid. That's definately a start. But remember you need to get your own teeth into this first and foremost - it's your own game. You have to let us know the challenge you face and we will try and help you overcome it.

Currently I read the challenge as "I don't know what to design". The solution: See steps 1 to 4 in my last thread. ^_^

Fight man! Fight for your game! XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Twombly
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtwombly's approach to Board Game Design Inspiration:

Step 1) Play lots of different games. If not possible, play as many games as you can, then research each on BGG, cross-referencing by mechanisms and ordering by rank. Further research by designer. I can now spot a Stefan Feld design at 1000 paces, but have never touched a single one of his games. When you find a game that seems interesting, read the official rules. Then read them again. And again. I've never played Caylus, but I could teach it. Try to figure out WHY A GAME EXISTS and WHAT MAKES IT GOOD (if anything).

Step 2) Choose a theme. Other designers have have mechanisms in mind first, and sometimes I do too, but nothing makes sense to me until I've broadly settled on a theme. "Fantasy", "Sci-fi", or "Trading in the Mediterranean" are specific enough for my purposes.

Step 3) Design a simulation that nobody in their right mind would play. This is just the way I operate, YMMV. My earliest stabs at any particular design are verbose in the extreme, with every possible step in any conceivable process having its own pet mechanics. There's very little to tie all the mechanics together at this point, I'm just trying to define how my theme might play out in as much detail as I can imagine.

Step 4) Pare down.

Step 5) Pare down.

Step 6) Pare down.

Typically, I'll redesign the core concept three or four times before I come up with something that might really be workable. I'm in my second year of thinking about my current design, and several details have been shelved only to recur at later iterations. Apologies to anyone who played last year's prototypes! Nothing's really been wasted. Rather, the complexity of my earlier attempts has gradually given way to a certain elegance.

Last piece of advice: in any creative endeavor. A "problem" is just a solution waiting to be tried. In game design, every road block you hit is your subconscious mind saying, "Hey, there's a better way to do this, and you're smart enough to find it." Embrace every road block. Distrust the open road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zyke Perseron
msg tools
Cogentesque wrote:
So currently, you have resources, building, event cards and an explorable square grid. That's definately a start. But remember you need to get your own teeth into this first and foremost - it's your own game. You have to let us know the challenge you face and we will try and help you overcome it.

Currently I read the challenge as "I don't know what to design". The solution: See steps 1 to 4 in my last thread. ^_^

Fight man! Fight for your game! XD

All right. Perhaps I haven't been illustrating what exactly the issue is well enough. Sometimes I have a hard time communicating stuff like that. >.<

Currently, I have sort of the core of what I want the game to be. That is, I want it to be a strategy game with a fantasy setting that involves building and resource management, with (most likely) a modular board set up that allows for interesting/randomized play each time the game is played (As opposed to something like Risk, where players generally have the same layout to work with and know what strategies to implement given a certain 'state' of the game).

My problem isn't so much I don't know what to design, but more along the lines of the ideas I keep arriving at are not different in a significant fashion from mechanics used in other titles. Outlining and brainstorming potential mechanics would be beneficial, and generally helps to get my own creative juices flowing again (having a bit of a mental block, thus the thread) and then I can manage to run with it pretty well. Right now, the concepts I keep dreaming up make me feel like I'm beating my head against the wall.

Quote:
Point is, if you're still at this stage, you've really got nothing yet. My advice would be to start getting some actual concrete rules written, build some prototype game pieces, and start the process of feeling out how the game actually works. The first rules will probably be junk, but that's expected, you'll discover this quickly and replace them with something better. Get something roughly playable, where it sort of works but it's not very good yet, and I think THEN would be a good time to seek feedback. As in, once there's something concrete to talk about.

This bit in particular is difficult when you are having a hard time just envisioning base mechanics for how the game will actually function. Making pieces and a game board when you don't even know how many pieces or what pieces to make with nothing to go by sounds a bit tricky.

I apologize ahead of time if anything I say is confusing or hard to understand because of the phrasing or something.

I also apologize if anything being said or suggestions being made don't seem like they're being noticed in my responses. I've been wracking my brain all day for ideas and trying to figure out how to work in suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Awesome post Zyke. Humility and explanation are both tihngs that I really really appreciate here on the boards.

First of all - thanks for that

Ok ok so,

Quote:
That is, I want it to be a strategy game with a fantasy setting that involves building and resource management, with (most likely) a modular board set up that allows for interesting/randomized play each time the game is played (As opposed to something like Risk, where players generally have the same layout to work with and know what strategies to implement given a certain 'state' of the game).

That's perfect.

Ok now we have a diving board on which to leap from straight in the deep end.

Your problem therefore is you want interesting mechanics. Remember that they have no business trying to be "unique" but they do want to be fun and interesting.

In which case, think of any OTHER mechanic for any OTHER game and see how it would fit into yours. This is where "taking from the best" comes in. Remember it's very easy to overcomplicate things and currently you do have a lot of stuff going on already - do you need to have more mechanics?

What would help I think (well, it would definitely help me) is to get the theme a bit more. When you say "Fantasy Setting" what do you mean?

1. Single LOTR style traveling quest (get to here)?
2. D&D style party combat (kill the wizard)?
3. Game of Thrones style infrastructure and deception combat?
4. RTS (red alert) style build, train, attack?
5. Euro style resource to developments to VP?
6. Free for all (smallworldish?) race to VP?
7. Training monsters / dragons (dungeon petz? Pokemon?)
8. Castle construction and assault (TactDecks)?

Think what exactly you want to happen in your high fantasy setting and then build in the modular board, resources, and production around it. Radnomized play tends to be easy(ish) to fit in as long as you do some cleverness at the start of devloping and have a lot of balancing testing.

Of the examples above I'm going to randomly pick 2 and show you:
1d8 = (6) = 6
and
1d8 = (5) = 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 99257. Cogentesque
  • 1d8 =
  • (6) =
  • Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:14 am
  • [+]
  • 99258. Cogentesque
  • 1d8 =
  • (5) =
  • Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:14 am
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
5. Euro style resource to developments to VP?

each player starts with a hex (perhaps a modular hex made up of 7 other hexes, the only player power will be the display of that specific starting hex - including about 10 different races will really aid in the "each game is different" random factor"). Player powers will display themselves in relation to each main players starting hex (dwarves will have their home town underground (+ defence?) and the hex will be based around a mountain (therfore the immediate resources will be ore-y).

Orcs perhaps start in a battle torn hex, so there are no immediate resource areas to mine/utilise BUT there is the bodies of a recently savaged army - perhaps there could be some cool artifacts there or a random chance of fiding any different type of resource per "harvest" or "mine".

In order to "harvest" a resource area (lets go with 4: stone, ore, wood, magic) you need to move a harvester unit (call them gatherers) little meeples that you simply place on top of a resource area. Each player starts with 1 of these only.

Each resource area has a number (see: "spirit of catan" resource dice
rolls) but the meeples dictate that only 1 at a time may be harvested

Throughout the game players can build a tech tree of buildings. Each building requires another clear hex space (next to the main city) to biuld into. Each building then also has a number. Some special buildings would trigger (or add an effect) on a dice roll (perhaps: barracks would produce "1 combat unit" depending on its location number every turn - obivously the 6's, the 7's and the 8's are where people will want to build their best buildings. Vp's arise after certain buildings are built and if certain (longest road; most buildings; most magical army; biggest collection of artifacts) pops up.

6. Free for all (smallworldish?) race to VP?

Similar to above tbh, but with the addition of adventurers and roving army troops - 1 VP per explored hex tile - push your luck mechanism for "exploiting" dungeons if found. Exploiting squares and the like would give you VP as well as resource windfalls or perhaps even upgrades for the unit that find it (think finding natives in Civ).

Each other player can magically produce resource (dice roll) at the expense of giving VP to other players - very Push your Luck kinda game - there are options for being brash (some might pay off too!) but you must be careful not to outstay your welcome.

Players leave a "used up" trail as they explore - each player placing their coloured disc on the hex they explored to show that it is "used up" (conquered / exploited / quest completed / giant rats slain etc). Other players do the same (players will have [CATAN STYLE DICEROLL] hexes actions per turn (to move, explore, exploit, magic up some resource). Resources / artifacts / spells can all aid the moving and exploring too - perhaps some kind of magic portal / wormhole piece as well.

Other players may jump over any explored space but only in straight lines (like a cricket move in Hive). Game ends when there are no more possible explorable places. Highest VP wins.

See Zyke, just pulled these out of thin air (they both sound quite fun tbh, hell I would play them!) so you only need to bang out some ideas like we have done here (the initial titles) and then flesh them out a bit further as in this second post.

Just get the hell out of the "Generic fantasy game in the spirit of Catan" rut and write a few sentances down WITHOUT the un-meaningful boundaries that would lock you in place. This is what I meant by my very first post, you are locking yourself right down to a very predictable scope when you take this "in the spirit of" approach.

Throw all of that rubbish away and take my previous advice, use your marvelous sentance you just wrote as a great starting point: (reworded)

My game is going to be a very strategic fantasy game. The players will have to explore an unpredictable modular hex board where their nations will build, and manage resources as they find exciting hidden quests and marvelous treasures throughout the world

And make an awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zyke Perseron
msg tools
Thanks very much Sam for the input. It's greatly appreciated. Still not entirely sure you were understanding that I was having trouble with the 'pull stuff out of thin air' part. XD I mean I was reeeeeally mental blocked there for a bit. I've managed to work out sort of a bit of starter stuff which is located in another thread. Feel free to head over and let me know what you think:

It be here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

My pleasure man! "Varthelon" - cool name btw.

Also, yes reading back over the "pull stuff out of thin air" comment - I totally get you now - lol.

Well hopefully this (quite substantial!) debate will get your mind cells working and we can help you out as the game progresses further.

Glad I've helped

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zykerion wrote:
Notably at the moment I'm having a difficult time coming up with a method that isn't based on something random (dice roll, random drawing) for resource generation that gives resources to everyone at the same time for the sake of keeping all the players involved.

One method that is random but fair to all players is to repeatedly run through a set of 36 cards showing the dice rolls (or equivalent). Everything happens some time, and the proportions are consistent, but the order is different each time. (But it would be more interesting to steer away from the exact method used by Catan, the sum of two dice).

About trading ... one quick idea is that you need to meet with another player's piece on the board to be able to trade; or at least, go to one of their cities. Then the game doesn't get bogged down with negotiation.

Just some random thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.