Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games of Agricola, but mostly against people I've taught, with some solo games thrown in, and I've never moved beyond the E deck. I'm still a rookie, is what I'm saying.

So I turn to the forums for advice. Cards like Edit: The Grocer confuses me. Is it a good card, middling power, bad? How do you use it to best effect? When are the resources worth the price in food?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJJ Zwiers
Netherlands
Enschede
Nederland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to use the Grocer et al.
These are very difficult questions to answer, as all these answers are relative.

Only a small number of cards are good or great in and of themselves. Most of the cards though are good when combined with other bonuses to identical actions, or which allow for a quick start to certain strategies that are used by other cards in your hand...

No help to you eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roja wrote:
No help to you eh?

Well, a little, actually. It does help to know that it's a more complex card than, say, the Clay Mixer. Situational.

So, maybe my issue is that I'm looking at the Grocer as a pile of resources to possibly make use of, when I should be playing it when I have specific goals in mind that those resources can help me accomplish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe (and I am less of an expert than you swheelock) that one of the strengths of the grocer is the early vegetable among other things. Not amazing in and of itself but combined with other vegetable cards that assume later vegetable acquisitions it does give them a boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Grocer is actually a pretty good card but you need to know when it is correct to use it. The first thing to note is that the first 4 resources you get (reed, grain, stone, vegetable) are all fairly uncommon resources early on. Well grain isn't that uncommon but you normally have to spend an action taking your first one and being able to get your first grain (if you need it) by upgrading 1 food (I say upgrading cause the gain can be used as a food if you don't need a grain) is actually pretty good.

The real strength of the grocer is the flexibility he lends you. Play a Grocer and you'll probably not need to ever play on take 1 grain or at least take 1 vegetable if you play correctly and being able to buy an extra reed/stone/wood/clay at just the right time can be a big lifesaver especially if your opponents overlook him and misjudge your resource count (which has happened though don't count on it).

It's also worth noting that although you are stacking 8 resources and probably paid 1 food to play him he automatically gives you back a food for the grain and 2 vegetables and if you have a hearth each vegetable nets you food (though I would sow them first).

Normally I play him early and just take resources slowly as I need them. However I have had games where midway I've had a abundance of food and decided to play him and drop the 8 food immediately for a resource windfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ho
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As stated before he offers a great amount of flexibility. He's one of the few occupations you don't need out early. If you have too many Stage 1 occs you need to be played, you could have issues feeding or could simply get blocked by others who are also trying to play their early occs. In a 4 player game, only 8 occs out in Stage 1 unless you have Puppeteer or Educator type cards.

If I remember correctly, the draft stats for him on play-agricola for EIK games has him as a top tier occupation if you exclude the ban list that we use (Lover, Chamberlain, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all great insights; exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
A hidden advantage of Grocer is that he allows you to take extra food, putting pressure on the the other players. In many cases, taking food just to keep it away from others is going to leave your farm underdeveloped - you should be gathering resources. Grocer allows you to do both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:
A hidden advantage of Grocer is that he allows you to take extra food, putting pressure on the the other players. In many cases, taking food just to keep it away from others is going to leave your farm underdeveloped - you should be gathering resources. Grocer allows you to do both.

This is a very good strategy tip, and I think it's worth repeating.

Especially in games with fewer players, there is value in taking resources and food to keep them from your opponents - as long as you aren't slowing yourself down too much in the process. If you can play a card that lets you simultaneously play a denial strategy, while also benefiting yourself, it's often quite powerful.

In the case of the Grocer, he turns spaces like fishing into very good spots for you, allowing you to block food and simultaneously get resources.

There are other cards that are similar. In 2er and 3er I find that the Landing Net is another card like this. I can take 1 reed with my last family member as a blocking action - potentially slowing down my opponents. But instead of it having been a bad action for me, it's now quite a solid action (2f+ 1 reed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The initial question is a bit confusing. There are no other cards like Grocer. There is only Grocer. And it is an amazing card.

If you are comparing Grocer and Clay Mixer, it is Clay Mixer that is situational. Clay Mixer is only worth playing if you can find a very good use for a giant pile of clay. Grocer is almost always worth playing.

Grocer is the perfect mid-game card. You can play it at your leisure, and get full benefit. It can also be a strong early game card. Play it early and buy the first three items and the Clay Oven, and your baking strategy is well underway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
smcmike wrote:
The initial question is a bit confusing. There are no other cards like Grocer. There is only Grocer.

I realized that a few posts in, actually. I had a dim memory of other cards with a stack of tokens, and assumed they worked the same way. I've since looked at the Resource Seller (I think the name is), but the mechanic is very different; if there are others, I assume that they're different, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smcmike wrote:
Grocer is almost always worth playing.

Fixed that for you.

smcmike wrote:
Play it early and buy the first three items and the Clay Oven, and your baking strategy is well underway.

Ssshhhh! People will catch on to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btizo wrote:
smcmike wrote:

Fixed that for you.

smcmike wrote:
Play it early and buy the first three items and the Clay Oven, and your baking strategy is well underway.

Ssshhhh! People will catch on to me!

Heh, I love that strategy too The stone and grain is so synergistic even when you are able to access early stone, never mind if you can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
smcmike wrote:

Oh yeah I knew there was something about him I was forgetting. I've done this too and it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
btizo wrote:
smcmike wrote:

Fixed that for you.

That's how I originally wrote it. The only reason the "almost" was added was a recent "power" game I played where everything except food was really easily accessible. I got grain every time I played a minor, a vegetable every time I played an occupation... by the time I considered playing Grocer my fields were already full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fair: He's not as good when all the other cards are better. Understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.