Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all.

Like a certain John Lennon used to say:

Number 9...
Number 9...
Number 9...

This morning I was happy to see that one of my favorite games had reached number 9 in the global BGG rankings.

And when you look at the clear rules, the gameplay fluidity and how epic this game feels even though it has a defined time limit, you can't help to think that indeed we are witnessing a little revolution...cool

Jean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it bad to report this post considering we already have Top Ten!!! ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Lennon? Comeau DOES know everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
comeauj wrote:
P.S Advice to naysayers and other trolls: just ignore...

Hey I didn't report it (yet), just wondering if it was worthy of it. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Comeau
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Ryan.

You are free to report my message if that is what you want. I don't mind really. I was just expressing my joy that Eclipse had climbed so high in the rankings.

My remark meant that instead of reporting something that I don't believe is harmful in any way, you could simply ignore it.

Jean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the post is a rules violation, so there's no point in reporting it. I would appreciate it though if all these celebratory rankings posts could be kept to a single thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Waiting for new posts for rank 8, 7, 6... .

Hey, there will be a max of 7 new posts before becoming the new number 1 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Saarenketo
Finland
Rovaniemi
flag msg tools
Every Wednesday at 16:00 in the library.
badge
I'm going to love and tolerate
mbmbmbmbmb
gyrosp wrote:
Hey, there will be a max of 7 new posts before becoming the new number 1 .

Don't count on that. They will make a new post if it goes down

PS. The number is 8 posts (8 games above it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Subido wrote:

PS. The number is 8 posts (8 games above it)

Oh, my fault... 8 posts of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tery McAlister

Louisiana
msg tools
Peristarkawan wrote:
I don't think the post is a rules violation, so there's no point in reporting it. I would appreciate it though if all these celebratory rankings posts could be kept to a single thread.

Quick go make it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd much rather play Dominion any day, but I guess most people think differently than me. I suspect Eclipse will reach a peak and then decline, but thats just my opinion. There's too much diplomacy and luck in this game for my liking, which is a controversial opinion, but I don't like the fact that if two people go against you then you can't win.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Eclipse is a good game, but just not better than Dominion.

IMHO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tery McAlister

Louisiana
msg tools
david707 wrote:
...but I don't like the fact that if two people go against you then you can't win.

I won't fault your opinion; but this fact is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
david707 wrote:
There's too much diplomacy

Say WHAT???

Diplomacy is the best part of any board game, its so intagnible and powerful and such a great balance mechanic.

Keeping ones friends close and ones untrustworty (in board game terms) friends closer is a skill in itself.

I can never understand why some board gamers say this mechanic is not 'gamey' enough.

I appreciate that its your opinion though, I was just offended that you paired the greatest mechanic of all (imho) up with luck in the same sentence!

Anyway, imho Eclipse is a really important game for fusing, euro, diplomcay and manageable luck in such a short and sweet time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
ilovedawkins wrote:
david707 wrote:
There's too much diplomacy

Say WHAT???

Diplomacy is the best part of any board game, its so intagnible and powerful and such a great balance mechanic.

Keeping ones friends close and ones untrustworty (in board game terms) friends closer is a skill in itself.

I can never understand why some board gamers say this mechanic is not 'gamey' enough.

I appreciate that its your opinion though, I was just offended that you paired the greatest mechanic of all (imho) up with luck in the same sentence!

Anyway, imho Eclipse is a really important game for fusing, euro, diplomcay and manageable luck in such a short and sweet time frame.

Maybe this is a discussion for another thread, but I'd just like people to try and understand by unusual and controversial point of view.

I like games where:
-The best strategy usually wins
-Some luck but not too much luck
-At least some player interaction
-You can make combos

So you can see why I like Dominion. I do like Eclipse, but my main problem with it is someone may be playing a good strategy and be winning only to get attacked by 3 people and be effectively out of the game. So you could argue that you need military defence and you sure do, but I suspect that no fleet can do much against 3 attackers.

Now, I've played and enjoyed many games where Diplomacy and negotiation is involved, I love the traitor element to games like BSG and Werewolf and I've played a game that was basically pure negotiation before.

At the moment the best strategy I can think for eclipse seems to be to do well, but not too well. That is until the last two actions of the last turn when you build 4 monoliths and win. The point is what seems optimum is to deliberately not get as many VP as possible so that when it comes to leader bashing time it's not you being bashed.

And I'm not sure why I don't love Eclipse as much as many people do, but I think it's because I prefer games where if I'm winning I'm probably going to win, rather than games where if I'm winning I'm going to get attacked by 3 people and definitely not win.

As for the guy who said you can still win when 2/3 people gang up on you, I want that to be true so I'd like it if you could give an idea of how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
david707 wrote:
I'd much rather play Dominion any day, but I guess most people think differently than me. I suspect Eclipse will reach a peak and then decline, but thats just my opinion. There's too much diplomacy and luck in this game for my liking, which is a controversial opinion, but I don't like the fact that if two people go against you then you can't win.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Eclipse is a good game, but just not better than Dominion.

IMHO

For whatever it's worth, I couldn't get my gaming group to play Dominion if I was waving hundred dollar bills at them. Partly this is because a couple of them have played it to death and became "those" Dominion players -- you know the type, the folks who see the Village come out and know what their entire game looks like? The kind who cycle their entire hands every turn? The kind who are kind enough to wait while you're figuring out your turn but you know that, in their heads, they're taping their feet and screaming, "WHAT'S TAKING YOU SO LONG?"

More than that, though, when we play a deck-building game, we like to play something with a little more oomf. None of us will argue that Dominion isn't a great game that changed the landscape. We just have zero interest in ever playing it again. We'll play Thunderstone or Ascension or something with more theme, more player-interaction, more . . . well, more.

Eclipse, on the other hand, seems to have a lot to offer. I can't go forward in time two or three years and see if we're still all as rabid for it then as we are now but I know that right now, at this time, if I sent out a group email asking if anyone wanted to get together special to play Eclipse this weekend, I'd have a six-player game in less than ten minutes. If I sent the same email out for Dominion, everyone would have errands to run, hair to wash, work to do . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
#8!

One thing I noticed today is that the average rating has actually gone up from 8.50 to 8.51.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
#8!

One thing I noticed today is that the average rating has actually gone up from 8.50 to 8.51.

I was sure that somebody would start a new thread for this important information .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Comeau
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
gyrosp wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
#8!

I was sure that somebody would start a new thread for this important information .

Well... there was that episode from the Simpsons a long time ago where Barney was imitating John with that same song. But guess what number they used whistle

Jean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in the time spent on the geek I have never seen a game rise through the ranks so fast.

Just checking in, and I don't recall how long power grid was number 5 on the strategy ranks has now been ousted by Eclipse.

Makes me glad I bought a copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.