Subject: Is this game supposed to be easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have now played two games, both of which I have won quite easily.

I suspect/hope I am doing something wrong, because usually these kind of games aren't that easy to win.

Does anybody know some mistakes which are common to make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could tell us how many players, describe how you execute a turn, and what you did to win. There is some luck-of-the-draw in Red November, but I wouldn't accuse it of being easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played alone with three gnomes.
The first turns I used to pick up 2 Grog and 4 items, then I tried maintaining the critical systems in order to keep them below the fifth square.
After that I just went to the systems that had to be fixed because of timed destruction or critical systems being 2-1 squares from the end.
When fixing things I used items and minutes to total 6-7 if something was not extremely critical and 9-10 if it was really important to fix it NOW. I didn't succed all the time, and also failed a couple of times after using 7 minutes to fix.

I have noticed that I sometimes forgot to check faint and forgot to move the oxygen marker, but I don't know if that's the sole reason for me winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hvazadi wrote:
I have noticed that I sometimes forgot to check faint and forgot to move the oxygen marker, but I don't know if that's the sole cause for me winning.

Those can both add up. I try to avoid grog when possible because of the high risk involved. Usually floods, blocked hatches, and fires also make it harder to move around the sub. But it is a random swingy game. I guess try again without forgetting those things and see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Hvazadi wrote:
I have noticed that I sometimes forgot to check faint and forgot to move the oxygen marker, but I don't know if that's the sole cause for me winning.

Those can both add up. I try to avoid grog when possible because of the high risk involved. Usually floods, blocked hatches, and fires also make it harder to move around the sub. But it is a random swingy game. I guess try again without forgetting those things and see how it goes.

I also try to avoid grog except when absolutely necessary. Fainted gnomes can lose control of the situation very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hvazadi wrote:
Played alone with three gnomes.
The first turns I used to pick up 2 Grog and 4 items, then I tried maintaining the critical systems in order to keep them below the fifth square.
After that I just went to the systems that had to be fixed because of timed destruction or critical systems being 2-1 squares from the end.
When fixing things I used items and minutes to total 6-7 if something was not extremely critical and 9-10 if it was really important to fix it NOW. I didn't succed all the time, and also failed a couple of times after using 7 minutes to fix.

Alone - even with 3 gnomes should be challenging - but not too hard so long as you don't get too unlucky (I say after 10 plays or so).

Try this with 5+ players - it's killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it 4 player and found it extremely easy as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/744070/red-november-too-easy maybe? I don't know what to tell you, but I've never found the game to be easy. I suspect there might be a rule being played wrong, but I wouldn't know where to begin to troubleshoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, if you continue to find that it's extremely easy and not challenging, I would look more closely at the rules. In fact, it can be brutally hard sometimes. For us, really easy sessions are rare, medium difficulty is common, and "tough sledding," so speak, is also common.

Like I said, if it never gets challenging, I suggest working through the rules again. Something sounds off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A rule my friends were playing wrong before I happened upon their game and corrected them, was the ghost marker cannot go past a critical event (ie: missile launch, etc) when attempting to fix it... So if you're 4 minutes behind the event, you can only use 4 minutes to attempt the fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FCSchmidt wrote:
A rule my friends were playing wrong before I happened upon their game and corrected them, was the ghost marker cannot go past a critical event (ie: missile launch, etc) when attempting to fix it... So if you're 4 minutes behind the event, you can only use 4 minutes to attempt the fix.
Beat me to that punch... I'll also say:

--in order to move into a cabin on fire, you need to equip Grog and/or a Fire Extinguisher first. If you're already in a room and it goes on fire, then that's a loophole which lets you stay in that cabin to attempt to put it out without those pieces of equipment. You won't get the +3 each from either, but sometimes it has to be done

This has been annoying for when you want to reach a cabin to resolve a critical timed event, but fire is blocking your way.

--when you have a cabin with high flood, you need to open a hatch to an adjacent room with NO flood so that they both equalize. High flood + room with no flood = both rooms with no flood. High flood + room with low flood still yeidls the same water levels in both rooms.
* the revised edition may allow the latter though

--blocked hatches and turbulence are usually banes of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will probably try going through the rules once more.

I have the revised edition. Does anyone know if the event deck was changed? Maybe more "respite" and/or other events that doesn't cause something terrible to happen, like "turbulence".
Also felt like the cirtical systems very rarely were in a truly critical condition, as events concerning a spesific system didn't come up that often. A cuple of times I even had the chance of first fixing a system, brining it down to the second reset point, and then fixing it again with a second gnome before the marker went up again.

Also, what is the drawback of killing your gnomes when playing alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Post a detailed session report, so we know *exactly* what you're doing. You'll get some gg as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Post a detailed session report, so we know *exactly* what you're doing. You'll get some gg as well.

Didn't think of that. Will do that the next time i play.

Thanks for the tip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
[q="FCSchmidt"]
--in order to move into a cabin on fire, you need to equip Grog and/or a Fire Extinguisher first.

I just played for the first time and it seemed way too easy and not doing this was probably why. Thing is, when it first came up, I thought about that and swore that I read it in the rules but when I went back to look, I couldn't find the damn thing. Now I know I wasn't crazy and it was in fact in the rules. Should make it harder next time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played it twice solo and found it extremely fun and challenging. Dying/losing both times. Once because I couldn't resolve the missile launch in time, and the other time because all the events weren't resolved before the Gnomes got rescued. It gave me the same tension as Ghost Stories. Loved it!

I remember reading in the rules:
You win if the trackers all get to the rescue point, and all the events have been resolved.

The things I overlooked in my first play were
- every time a fire token is added, move the oxygen up 1
- you can't enter a room with a fire unless you have a fire extinguisher or grog
- roll to place the blocked hatch in a room (only internal doors can be blocked), and the player can choose which door to block in that particular room
- to leave the ship, the time tracker must have passed the 10 minute mark, and you need an aqualung to exit the ship

Other things to be aware of:
- you can only pump water from rooms with a Low Water token
- If fire spreads to an adjacent room, increase the oxygen track (stated in the FAQ)
- If fire appears in a room that already has fire, increase the oxygen track (stated in the FAQ)

Here's the FAQ link

Red november FAQ (Trifold format)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Neveu

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our group played the first game of this last night with 6 players. It was chaotic madness (in a good way).
We had a total of 3 deaths, but the rest made it to rescue. The turn order is extremely important to the difficulty of the game. We had 2 people drown in a blocked hatch room (yeah, all doors were blocked and the next people that HAD to go were IN it).
Glub glub.

Another player died when his gnome passed out and the room caught fire. We had a blast playing though. Great game. With 6 players, it definitely wasn't too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it with 3 plays. It was very easy.

We never touched the grog due to how risky it is and due to how closer and safer the equipment option was. None of our bars went above half way.

All three time events occurred close to the start of the game and towards the end players were just taking things very leisurely.

A fire in 5 would have caused problems but it never occurred. The random placement of fires also often resulted in fires not been set due to water.

I don't like how there are 4 stars so close to the end. This seems rather unfair as there is little you can do to tackle the damage they do. Just got to hope they are not all the same type...

Enjoying it but not convinced by the design thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Just played it with 3 plays. It was very easy.

We never touched the grog due to how risky it is and due to how closer and safer the equipment option was. None of our bars went above half way.

All three time events occurred close to the start of the game and towards the end players were just taking things very leisurely.

That seems odd to me, this is quite a difficult game. How many gnomes did you play with? With 23 events per player, almost all bad, most 4 gnome games have 70 or so bad events happening to you.

You only mentioned 3 timed events, what about the kraken and the other timed events the second time through the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
FCSchmidt wrote:

That is definitely one rule my group has been playing incorrect. We had been going past to fix it as long as all gnomes had not physically passed the timer. We will change this now.

Also I will have to go over the Grog rules again as it never bothered us to add more time when you were drunk on Grog and at level 1 we play that unless you roll a 1 you do not faint or level 2 roll a 2 or under then no faint. I will have to reread as I thought we were playing the Grog rules correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
FCSchmidt wrote:
A rule my friends were playing wrong before I happened upon their game and corrected them, was the ghost marker cannot go past a critical event

From where did you get this rule?

The revised edition rules say that "If all players' Time Keepers pass the Destruction token on the Time Track, the catastrophe occurs and the submarine is destroyed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Lies, all lies. Aside from Space Hulk: Death Angel, this is a co-op game from hell of which there is no escape.

If you play, you will be a very dead gnome and, more likely, a dead, wet, gnome that's on fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
FCSchmidt wrote:
A rule my friends were playing wrong before I happened upon their game and corrected them, was the ghost marker cannot go past a critical event

From where did you get this rule?

The revised edition rules say that "If all players' Time Keepers pass the Destruction token on the Time Track, the catastrophe occurs and the submarine is destroyed."

I agree - the ghost marker CAN pass the timed event, unless all other player markers are past the event marker already.

This would make the player the ghost marker represents the "last player" and the timed event would then end the game unless it is dealt with in just the time that final player has before he passes the marker.

Comments, corrections?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FCSchmidt wrote:

Where does it say this? Is this is the revised rules or the 1st edition rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how we play it:

All but one character can pass the timed event doing other things, like putting out fire or pumping water in the place that is required for fixing a timed event. However, fixing the timed event must be performed before the timed event triggers failure, so the ghost marker of the last character (or anyone trying to fix the timed event) can not pass the timed event on the time track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.