Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What am I missing with this version? If its rules can't Ijust use the rules of an earlier version?

What's this versions main positive, the size of the board?

THe biggest negative? The game became too easy? I want to buy one, I just don't know which one to get.

thanks

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My $0.02, the bigger board is better because you can actually place monster and treasure cards in their respective rooms or chambers. This saves having them on the side of the board and requiring chits to mark what goes where.

The downside (and the thing that turned my boy against the game) is if you don't find a magic sword before you hit a few traps, it can get "un-fun" fast. Both times we tried it, the boy hit "slide down one level" traps and ended up (unsuccessfully) fighting his way through levels waaaaay beyond his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks and feels more refined than the older version. The plastic minis could have been better choosen. but do the job well enough. The older version has its own charm and oddly I like the look of its board more.

Both have their merits and virtually no downsides other than the older edition having the smaller board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wooten
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun fact: I am the child model on the back of the early 1990's edition!

It's my claim to fame, mullet and all. My friend's mother had a connection to the advertising firm in Wisconsin that handled the photography for TSR, including the reissue of Dungeon, and also for their (at the time) new game, Dragon Quest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the newly announced Dungeon! be the best one, after all???

I can't wait for pictures and info...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If they follow the current WOTC pattern then yes. Should look fine unless they somehow totally botch the board or cards.

I suspect they will go standard approach and the player minis will be selected from the existing minis molds as they were doing with the D&D board games, Ravenloft, Ashardalon, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
funkenmittens wrote:
Fun fact: I am the child model on the back of the early 1990's edition!

It's my claim to fame, mullet and all. My friend's mother had a connection to the advertising firm in Wisconsin that handled the photography for TSR, including the reissue of Dungeon, and also for their (at the time) new game, Dragon Quest!

Hilarious! That's you on the left?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
If they follow the current WOTC pattern then yes. Should look fine unless they somehow totally botch the board or cards.

I suspect they will go standard approach and the player minis will be selected from the existing minis molds as they were doing with the D&D board games, Ravenloft, Ashardalon, etc.

Nope. Cardboard standees, and the cards are placed off-board. So they've reprinted the original basic game by the looks of it and probably the original rules too, instead of this re-implemented and better balanced version. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Slightly new rules. Allmost a mix of the various versions. No player interaction or co-op. But does include finally solo play rules.

Monster stats on the example card seen were identical to my revised edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Nope. Slightly new rules. Allmost a mix of the various versions. No player interaction or co-op. But does include finally solo play rules.

Monster stats on the example card seen were identical to my revised edition.

Co-op rules are now available from WOTC, along with some other variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thats all well and good, but cardboard standees and off-the-board treasure are both unappealing. OK, so the standees could be replaced by wooden pawns or plastic miniatures but can the treasure be placed on the board as per The Classic Dungeon, or they too different? Alternatively, can the newer rules, solo, co-op, etc, work on The Classic Dungeon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-op and solo rules can be used with classic. No I don't think the cards would fit on the board. My point being, download the new rules. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think the new cards would fit on the classic dungeon board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Placing cards on the board was optional. Not standard for Classic. Optional Rules pg 22 Optional Set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Placing cards on the board was optional. Not standard for Classic. Optional Rules pg 22 Optional Set up.

Yup. But others like the cards to be placed on the board. So you could purchase the new release of Dungeon! but use an older board if you wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel V

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

Yup. But others like the cards to be placed on the board. So you could purchase the new release of Dungeon! but use an older board if you wanted.

That's what I do. I use the 2012 rules and cards with this version's board. The board is just so much nicer than the thing in the 2012 edition box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.