United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
We're looking for a new printer.

I probably print 1 or 2 things a month at home but my wife has to print out a lot of music for her work -- probably 100 pages a week.

We've gotten our money's worth out of our current printer -- it's about 12 years old. but the paper feed has gotten tempermental in the past year and a you have to feed it a page at a time and at just the right second (when it makes a little chunk sound).

We don't care about color, we can go to Staples on the rare occasion we need color prints.

I'm looking for something, inexpensive to buy. But more importantly, cheap to operate. Cheap ink and dependable.

Also, anyone find that the recycled ink is worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally read the title as "Looking for a Lost Cow printer."

I'm still waiting....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to sell printers at Staples part time. It's been several years since I have and I cannot tell you what you want that is current on the market. I can tell you...

You have many options because it sounds like your needs are low.

I reccommend HP to get durability and a longer life with decent support for new OS down the road.

I recommend Lexmark for cheap and possibly will hate it one day.

If you will never need color, you can try to find a laser printer. The start-up costs are more expensive then ink-jet but the cost per copy is usually much lower.

Also if you never need a scanner this lowers cost too.

In general your are probably looking for a throw-away printer. In other words the type of printer that is usually cheaper to toss it and buy a new one then it is to buy the ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
We're looking for a new printer.
I'm looking for something, inexpensive to buy. But more importantly, cheap to operate. Cheap ink and dependable.

Also, anyone find that the recycled ink is worth it?

I've liked my epson, but it's 25 for bk and 35 for color carts.
It has only given me trouble once. When I bought ink from the internet. It was supposed to be new, but came without a box, so I assume it was a refill. it never did work great. I just pushed thru and never bought it from them again.
Living in B-town, you should be able to find something cheap! My friend Dave says at the end of the year the college kids sell stuff for crazy cheap prices. He got a dorm fridge for 15 bucks once! I would say something with a toner cartridge might be the way to go if you can find it cheap. You get a metric ton of prints out of those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if it's in your range, but I found this after a little poking around. I looked at Staples cause I'm familiar with them and you said there is one near you.

HP is a good brand and it runs on the 920 ink system, which is good for the casual home user.

http://www.staples.com/HP-Officejet-6000-Printer-series/prod...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't go for Lexmark. While they may be the cheapest to start, ink refills are expensive and have a low page yield. The cartridges can't be refilled. It's cheaper to print stuff out at Staples than to buy new ink.

I've heard Kodak has the lowest upkeep cost for ink refills, but I'm not sure what no scanner, no color options they have to lower your start cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can afford it, get a laser printer. A toner cartage is much more expensive than ink, but the cost per page, as pointed out, is probably less. Also:
• Toner doesn't run when wet
• Generally faster printing
• A toner cartage can sit in the printer, unused, for quite a long time, and won't go bad.
• Laser printers generally require less periodic maintenance.

I really miss having one. I had a old HP 4MP that I got surplus from a company I worked for that went under. It was vintage 1993, and only died a few years ago - I think it lasted at least 15 years. I don't have one now, as my house has two (color) inkjets in it.

You can get pretty inexpensive laser printers nowadays. I see, for example, Costco has the cheapest HP for $99. Toner runs about $70/pop, but is good for 2.5K pages, so that's 2.8¢ per page. I think the toner that comes with is like a half-empty "starter" toner.

Note I've no idea on the quality of this particular printer, it's just an example of how cheaply you can get B&W laser printers nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in the copier/printer business for 22 years. I don't think you can go wrong with an HP monochrome printer. Everybody sells supplies so there is a lot of competition that drives price down. Many people can service it as well.

Lexmark is noted for the highest cost per page for toner. Some Xerox Phaser printer do extraordinary color but that is not a requirement for you.

Do not get a Samsung product. It's not they aren't ok but we were an authorized Samsung service provider and Samsung made it so hard to provide service, get parts AND get paid properly by them we dropped it as being unprofitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a six year old Brother laser printer/photocopier/scanner and it's done yoeman's work for me. The printer was under $200 at the time, and toner cartridges are about $45 each (assuming you buy the Brother brand ones) with a ~1500 page capacity.

I do the print color things at Staples too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna go against the grain and not recommend HP. We had an HP DeskJet, which was a fine printer until HP decided they wouldn't be releasing updated drivers for Windows Vista, 7, or beyond. It didn't do high-quality prints, but it worked.

Since then we've owned two HP LaserJets for B&W printing: a P2015 and a P2035. Neither one lasted more than 18 months.

We bought an Epson Workforce 635 which does color, scanning, copying, and a bunch of other stuff. It isn't cheap, but it's been rock solid through several thousand pages. My anecdotal evidence recommends Epson over HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the Canon MX 350. We've had it over a year and it works fine. Pretty inexpensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.