Popular Tags: [View All]
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyLovely Wife and I attended a painting class last night via an outfit called Wine and Palette. Their thing is to meet at a restaurant and they teach you how to paint a picture.

Now they normally charge $40 for this but they supply everything (we had a Groupon). We went to dinner beforehand and at our restaurant another outfit, Heart to Art was setting up in an area there. They were going to have about 7 'students'.

We went to the restaurant where our class was being taught. Holy Hell! There was 72 people there (72 x $40= $2,880!) and we were jammed in like cattle! Anyway, we had fun (although I have no idea why folks ordered food since there was no place to put it, let alone try to eat.) We were to paint a picture called 'Sunny Poplars'. Here are ours:
(mine is called 'Afternoon on Alderaan')

Anyway, that got me to thinking. The lady from Heart to Art said the restaurants contribute the area to get traffic in and sell liquor so the venue is free. How would this translate into classes to teach games? Now granted, there is no way I'm gonna try to teach 72 people how to play Settlers, but teaching 8 folks on two games is completely doable.

So, of course I would need multiple copies of games (that I would not mind having them damaged) and would need to limit attendance, but how much do you think folks would be willing to pay per person to spend 3 hours playing games and having dinner (dinner was on their own dime & the painting class ran from 6-9)? $20? $10?

I was thinking I could join up with a local game store to get games at a discount and then route traffic to them if folks were interested in buying them.

Just a crazy idea but something I'm mulling around in my head. Any constructive comments or ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an awesome painting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Niederer
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's a fun thought, but do you think there are people around willing to pay money to be taught games? That seems unlikely to me. Though I would pay -- I have a few games kicking around that I would love to have demo'd for me. I hate rulebooks :wow:

In a side note, I lol'd at work when I saw your picture. Startled everyone in cubicular-vicinity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Which one?

The one with the death star on it!
Death stars make everything better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doxbane wrote:
It's a fun thought, but do you think there are people around willing to pay money to be taught games? That seems unlikely to me. Though I would pay -- I have a few games kicking around that I would love to have demo'd for me. I hate rulebooks wow

In a side note, I lol'd at work when I saw your picture. Startled everyone in cubicular-vicinity.

There are probably not folks wanting to pay to be taught games.

Glad I could aid in scaring your co-workers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
doxbane wrote:
It's a fun thought, but do you think there are people around willing to pay money to be taught games? That seems unlikely to me. Though I would pay -- I have a few games kicking around that I would love to have demo'd for me. I hate rulebooks wow

There are probably not folks wanting to pay to be taught games.

Glad I could aid in scaring your co-workers

In my group I'm waiting for them to suggest that I pay them to learn new games.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.