Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently contacted FFG about getting a replacement board, which left me thinking about what to do with my original board once the new ones ship out. Not wanting to simply throw it away, I began thinking about the 5 player 1st edition.

I have not played the 1st edition, but I noticed that it maxed out at 5 players, and not 6 like the 2nd edition. Was a 5 player game in the 1st edition generally regarded as more balanced than 2nd edition? I see that the expansion that added a 6th player also added a board overlay that created the borders and areas now permanent in the 2nd edition board.

I was considering mocking up a large sticker from the excellent scan by
Aur Elian
Romania
flag msg tools

which can be found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1197083/a-game-of-thrones...

The idea would be to manipulate the scan to remove borders and shift areas so that they match the 1st edition board. Then, I would have 2 boards, one for 5 players and on for 6 players.

Not having played the 1st edition of the game, can anyone who has played the 1st edition help me? Is this a worthwhile endeavor? Or is the 2nd edition 5 player generally regarded as an improvement over 1st edition?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Josiah,

I must admit that I have not played the first edition. I have always been interested in "A Song of Ice and Fire" but never developed this interest until my Good Lady bought me a Kindle for Christmas pre-loaded with the extant novels in the series.

I now admit that the GoT Second Edition is one of the best games I have played and, in my own humble opinion, needs no adjustments whatsoever.

To sum up: without having played the First Edition, I am more than happy with the Second Edition as is.

If you haven't done so already, I heartily recommend reading the books first; it gives so much more flavour to the cards.

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am deep into the 5th novel now, as a matter of fact. Love them.

I recently had my first opportunity to play the 2nd edition of the game. Baratheon claimed victory in both games, with Tyrell constantly threatening. My group is of the opinion (albeit after only 2 games) that in a 5 player game, the vacant lands of Martell create a bit of an easy land grab in the south. After looking at the 1st edition board, there were less areas defined in the south (added later in the expansions). I don't think the imbalance in a 5 player game is killer, especially when all players are aware of it, but I saw an opportunity to perhaps create a second board strictly for 5 players. When I saw that the 1st edition of the game topped out at 5, I thought perhaps I had found an outline for it. I was hoping people could illuminate the 5 player, 1st edition, experience in terms of balance. After cruising through through the forums for that edition, I didn't see any outcry of imbalance that seems to crop up quite often here in the 2nd edition forums.

We won't be making any changes until we've had a chance to play a full 6 player game, but since I will have an extra board I was looking for something constructive to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few games with less than 6 players and then one with all the Houses in play. I'm not going to play it with less than 6 people from now on. Nah, this game is still awesome with fewer players.
But If I had I will rule out Stark instead of Martell and put some impassable terrains on the north - standard rules not only give the South on a plate, but also diminish the importance of the south see traffic. Non of it occurs without the North.

As for balance between editions, note that one House had only 4 knights (now 5) and there was no mustering from the special consolidate power order. Other changes will probably work well.

I also thought about trying the 4 player variant from the expansion (Battle for Trident) with 2.ed. rules. Maybe it'll work.

And my plan for the warped board is to make a poster (easy thing) or a special table to play the GoT. I was thinking about putting the board beneath the glass pane. Therefore, the board will be safe from spilled drinks, and the table itself will look nerdy and classy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordji Lordji
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got off a 5 players game and I am slightly disappointed. The neutral lands in the South give much advantage to the Baratheon player. They only present a defense value of 3, easily manageable.

I had some thoughts about it but now that I have tested the game in this configuration, I would advise my friends against playing it in 5 players configuration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea.

I've followed the threads here, and I think the balance problems with 2E are more severe in a 4 player game than a 5 player game, so I would suggest keeping that in mind as well.

I never played 1E, but I think the map was well well balanced for 5 (although there were other issues, some of which still exist in 2E).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(although there were other issues, some of which still exist in 2E)

I am curious to know what these lingering issues are. Can you illuminate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone following this thread, it looks like user:
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

created the exact map I have been struggling with. I have absolutely no image manipulation skills, and I must say that this is exactly what I had in mind.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1226534/a-game-of-thrones-the...

I don't know when I will have a chance to test it out, but I am really excited about it. Throw him some thumbs for his effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
brotherjo wrote:
For anyone following this thread, it looks like user:
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

created the exact map I have been struggling with. I have absolutely no image manipulation skills, and I must say that this is exactly what I had in mind.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1226534/a-game-of-thrones-the...

I don't know when I will have a chance to test it out, but I am really excited about it. Throw him some thumbs for his effort.

I think it would be a mistake to weaken Tyrell's lands like that map. The southeast side of the map is fine and should help with balance. But Tyrell was quite weak with the original 5 player map, they really need Oldtown to be better than it is on that map (should be a stronghold) and perhaps have another crown down there as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replacing the castle for a stronghold and adding another crown is easy enough that I can probably handle that edit.

I will try this map out as is, since it is what I was going for. I appreciate the suggestion and will keep it in mind when we play. Where would you put the crown?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to you, Starfall or Dornish Marches probably. The former if you wish to grant them another safer area to consolidate power.

I'm also not sure how well the current sea border at High-garden will work - that location was very vulnerable in 1st edition. Up to you, but maybe move that slightly up, otherwise Greyjoy can walk in on turn 1 (well not if you start one of their ships in the 2nd edition (port) location, but still..). If the concern and motivation of this mod is to weaken Baratheon, then Tyrell should be able to have a little more security over their capital while heading east.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Simmons
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played the 1st ed. game and believe the map is pretty well balanced for 5 players. I am unfamilar with the 2nd ed. rules and never used any of the expansion rules for 1st ed. except for the 6th player add ons. So I am not sure how the different cards, abilities, and units could effect the balance of the map. Just something to keep in mind.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordji Lordji
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just played a 5 player game with the south part of this wonderful map (thanks again for the work). Much more balanced than what FFG advises for a 5 player game on the original 2nd edition board. I would advise it!

Tyrell was close to winning BTW. But my Greyjoy annihilated the Starks and a part of Lannister's territory. Boom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got in a game on the photoshopped 5p map. It worked very, very well. My group has decided that we prefer this board when playing 5 player. There are fewer neutral armies, fewer free resources in the south, and an overall tighter experience. Lannister won our game, with Baratheon and Greyjoy each having their shot at dominance. Tyrell took a hit near the end but rallied to come in second place. Start was a new player, but had east coast dominance, but not enough experience to capitalize on it.

It may not be perfect, but we felt it was definitely our preferred way of playing 5 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Now that this seems to be working well, anyone have the ASoS map to scan in for 4-player? My old board could use a back... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think it would be a mistake to weaken Tyrell's lands like that map. The southeast side of the map is fine and should help with balance. But Tyrell was quite weak with the original 5 player map, they really need Oldtown to be better than it is on that map (should be a stronghold) and perhaps have another crown down there as well

There's definitely something to this. I did not mention this to any players after the first game, but noticed that the player playing Tyrell was constantly at a Power Token disadvantage. I mentioned it to him later and he felt like there defeinitely needs to be a crown down there.

We played again with the same players, but a different person played Tyrell. At this point, he was not aware of the possible power disadvantage. Really quickly he exclaimed that he didn't seem to have access to Power Tokens lit the rest of us.

I am planning on printing a small crown and pasting it down in Oldtown. I did not notice any unit disadvantage from having a Castle and not a Stronghold, but I'll keep my eye on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Yard
msg tools
mbmb
Stupid question, but how did you play with this map? Did you simply print it out on multiple A4 sheets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had some store credit at Staples that were about to expire (from recycling printer cartridges). Out of pocket for me was about $17.

I printed it to the board size and used spray adhesive to stick it to my, now replaced, board that came with the game. Since I usually play this with a piece of plexiglass over it I am going to print a crown icon to test putting it down in Oldtown.

You could tile it together, though, just to play it. I've done that before with another game, but I highly recommend getting a cheap piece of plastic or plexiglass to put over it. It'll make a huge difference in look and playability if you are using a paper map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.