Subject: Strict Neutrals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Royek
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to address a problem with strict-neutrals as the game calls these non-aligned nations like Venezuela or Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan or Turkey in the game.

These nations if one is attacked, all the others are aligned against your Alliance. If Germany attacks Switzerland, all other strict neutrals are allied against the Axis, and all other strict neutrals become pro-Allies.

There is a flaw with this idea. How does what happens in Saudi Arabia affect Afghanistan? Certainly in today's world with radical Islamist terrorists, they would sway them with oil money, but Saudi Arabia was just barren desert and this NATO type arrangement of neutral countries is flawed because it turns all neutrals into your enemies and it does not allow for players to sway the neutral nation into your alliance.

All neutral countries have to be invaded, which does not allow for diplomacy or for players to make arragements with neutrals to allow them to move through their territory.

I propose a new rule where during a player's non-combat phase, a player can move into a strict neutral, but they will not be allowed to leave there. This is called "internment" In World War II, servicemen from the combatant allied nations like Chuck Yeager for example, escaped into Spain with the help of the Maquis. Yeager was jailed in Spain, but escaped to England to rejoin the fight. Many Polish servicemen escaped to neutral Romania and Hungary to get to France.

I will allow for a player to invade a strict neutral country, but it will not make all other strict neutrals ally against your alliance. It will only cause your nation to invade it and take its IPC value. Players whose pieces are interned in a strict neutral country will be interned there, unless a player bails them out with a 10 IPC bonus or a player rolls a "6". I kinda like the Monopoly rule myself. Air units may land in strict neutral countries.

Crippled B-17 bombers flying home from air raids over Germany often landed in Switzerland because they were too crippled to fly back to England. Some of the Ploesti raiders B-24 bombers landed in neutral Turkey.

I will make air units be able to finish their non-combat movement, aka land in a strict neutral country. Any player's pieces that land in a strict neutral country may not be attacked by an enemy player. If Britain has a bomber in Spain, neither Germany or Italy may attack it with adjacent land units or air units in adjacent territories in Southern France.

The Breslau, which was a World War I ship, sought refuge in Ottoman Turkey. Germany often used Spanish ports during World War II. The Graf Spee, a German battlecruiser sought refuge in a neutral harbor in Montevideo, Uruguay. I will now allow ships to use port facilities of a strict neutral nation.

During a player's non-combat movement phase, the player must announce that their ship wishes to seek refuge in a neutral harbor. Any enemy ships in a neutral port may not be attacked by other players. Players may disrupt convoys of adjacent neutral nations. Germany frequently attacked neutral ships during World War I and World War II because they were supplying Great Britain.

A player must announce that he or she is attacking a strict neutral country from an adjacent territory. Strict neutrals can now be swayed into your alliance.

The player may choose this over attacking the neutral territory. Players when moving into a neutral country must roll a 6 to sway the strict neutral country into their alliance, if the roll is not successful, the player then invades that strict neutral.

In my rules, no longer will players have to invade strict neutrals and have all other strict neutrals allied against them. Players may now use neutrals to their advantage. Players may land air units into a neutral territory to seek refuge. Players may not move that air unit until their next turn.

An attacker may retreat into a strict neutral as well. Many Polish troops in 1940 fighting alongside the French, retreated into Switzerland where they spent the rest of the war.

I could go on with anecdotes about player's escaping the war to be interned in a neutral country.

Questionable status for nations as "strict neutrals."
Turkey was not a strict neutral. Turkey was always pro-Allies throughout the war, according to encyclopedia.com. I don't know why Turkey isn't pro-Allies. They negotiated and made deals with the British and French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchman123 wrote:
Players may now use neutrals to their advantage. Players may land air units into a neutral territory to seek refuge. Players may not move that air unit until their next turn.

Both Allied and Axis aircraft that landed in Switzerland were captured by the Swiss and, for the most part, remained in Switzerland for the remainder of the war.

Patchman123 wrote:

An attacker may retreat into a strict neutral as well. Many Polish troops in 1940 fighting alongside the French, retreated into Switzerland where they spent the rest of the war.

I could go on with anecdotes about player's escaping the war to be interned in a neutral country.

As you describe above, surely those forces that do end their movement in a Neutral country should then be considered "interned for the duration" and for all purposes of game play, lost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.