Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player is new to a game (or gaming) and the take back has no significant impact (ie, it can easily be done without having to redo things after it) then I am for allowing a take back.

-Munch "I believe enjoying the game, and getting people into gaming is a bit more important than winning the game" Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
If a player is new to a game (or gaming) and the take back has no significant impact (ie, it can easily be done without having to redo things after it) then I am for allowing a take back.

-Munch "I believe enjoying the game, and getting people into gaming is a bit more important than winning the game" Wolf

Same. Not that I don't sometimes find takebacks irritating, but I'd rather have someone to play games with than ornery discussions about the intricate unraveling of the fibers of my gaming wellness that the takeback may cause. If a person has played a game several times and is still trying to take back moves/actions too often, then I may tell them that it's time to contemplate more carefully before moving/acting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My view is that if you care too much about denying take-backs, you're probably caring too much about winning.

You want people to bring their A-game to the table not only because that's usually the best fun for them (ie they're not frustrated at end of game by making silly mistakes), but because everyone then experiences a better challenge. Also a good, fun thing. If someone wants to do a take-back when I'm halfway thru my move, no probs, it won't take that much to do a re-think if required, and I'm playing against a better challenge as a result. And my opponent is happier. Especially if the takeback is due to not understanding the game well. A relaxed attitude creates a more sociable, happy environment.

Allowing take-backs usually results in quicker games as well. Denying take-backs leads to people wanting to finalise their analysis paralysis before taking their finger off the piece, rather than playing more by feel and having a safety net which can be occasionally used.

Takebacks can't be the norm ... that'll quickly lead to frustration. But there's a happy medium where if people are relaxed about it, and it's not abused, it's rose petals and sugar dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if a formal takeback policy is really necessary, but in practice I've noticed that I tend to allow takebacks when I'm winning but not when I'm losing. The net effect either way is to make the game tighter and more interesting. This also indirectly favors less experienced players, who are more likely to be losing. In fact, if they are really behind then I might even suggest a takeback and demonstrate a better move ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.