Subject: 4 player Resistance with 'Crisis' Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
I originally posted this as a reply to another thread, but I figured rather than hijack that thread I'd start my own.

a 4 player game suffers from a couple of issues, mainly 2v2 doesnt work due to team voting and 1v3 is too difficult for the spy.

My proposal is this:

4 players: 3 resistance, 1 spy.

At the beginning of the game a crisis deck is created with 4 passes and 1 fail.

Each mission will require 3 players.

During the first mission, starting clockwise with person closest to the leader who proposed the team, each player will take the top pass/fail card from the crisis deck (remembering what it is) and take the opposite card from the remaining unused pass/fail cards. This should leave 2 cards in the crisis deck.

They then go on the mission as normal, and add one of the 2 remaining crisis cards to the mission as well. The mission resolves normally with 1 fail 'failing' the mission.
After the mission has been resolved each mission goer will need to return the same type of card they got from the crisis deck to the top of the crisis deck. In addtion add 1 'pass' card to the crisis deck. Then shuffle the deck, which should now consist of 5 cards.

Mission 2 should proceed the same way. Again add a pass card to the crisis deck in addition to what the players took. There should be 5 cards in the crisis deck after the mission has been resolved and cards added

Mission 3 should proceed the same way. This time, however, do not add a pass card to the crisis deck, only what the players took. There should be 4 cards in the crisis deck after the mission has resolved and cards added.

Mission 4 should proceed the same way except with only 2 players grabbing from the crisis deck at the beginning. There should be only 3 cards left in the crisis deck after the mission has resolved.

Mission 5 should proceed the same way except with only 1 player grabbing from the crisis deck at the beginning.

As a rule of thumb players should grab from the crisis deck until there are only 2 left.

This variant

A) Gives the spy an 'out' if a mission fails (though there is a chance the mission goers will know that it couldnt have been a crisis fail)

B) Gives the spy a 'chance' at an extra failure (though it might be a double fail, taking away that extra failure and there is a chance there will be no extra fail from the crisis).

I have to look at numbers, If it gives the spy too much of an edge, additional pass cards can be added to the crisis deck after mission 3 and/or 4, simply adjust the number of players that must grab from the crisis deck so that there are 2 cards left after they are finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
Re: 4 player Resistance with 'Crisis' Deck ***or*** 4 player with 3 random mission cards.
***ALTERNATIVELY******

A simpler approach would be:

3 resistance
1 spy.

3 players go on each mission.

Give each mission goer 3 'random' mission cards, instead of a pass and a fail.

Although not super likely this could result in a Resistance player with 3 fail cards, meaning a fail doesn't always come from a spy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you force players to stay completely silent about their interactions with the Crisis Deck? I'm not sure...we'd have to try it both ways and see how it works.

It seems good strategy for the Resistance to say what card they drew from the Crisis Deck. If all 3 good players are on M1, they should all say, "I drew a pass card" if they indeed did. If that is the case, there's a 50/50 shot of the Crisis Deck failing M1, which is good information for the Resistance. But perhaps the spy should lie about what they drew from the deck? If they drew a fail, but say they drew a pass, they fail the mission and blame the Crisis Deck...yeah? I'm not sure here...the strategy seems kinda transparent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, but if you're good and DON'T tell what you drew, then the spy has to take a chance at failing the mission AND have the Crisis Deck fail the mission, which is the worst-case scenario for the spy... hrmm, tricky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
My thought was that you wouldn't not be allowed to say what you drew from the crisis deck until *after* the mission at the very least. After that you could be lying - with only 4 players, you cant trust what anybody says.

I didn't consider being able to talk about it during the mission, but you make some interesting points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing about this is that, because you have to select cards from the other mission cards not in the Crisis Deck (that is, 1 pass and 4 fails), as you pass this around, people gain knowledge about what people drew from the deck. If you see the 1 pass card gone, you know someone before you drew the fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
yes - I mentioned the mission goers might have knowledge that a fail was drawn if it was drawn before they grabbed the mission cards. I don't see a way around that, but since there are so few people, you can't trust what anybody says..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narninian wrote:
yes - I mentioned the mission goers might have knowledge that a fail was drawn if it was drawn before they grabbed the mission cards. I don't see a way around that, but since there are so few people, you can't trust what anybody says..

Stack the spares with the lone pass on top - pass the pile around and let each player secretly take either the top or the bottom card.

You know which card you should be taking, and anyone glimpsing the bottom card of the pile will only see a fail...

The alternative is to have a fifth player as moderator, but then you should just play 5-player anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.