Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group wants to make sure we are using fighters correctly. We are using the Alpha+2 rules, including the changes to strategic bombing and scrambling. We understand that a round of play is made up of each individual nations' turns, nine such turns in any given round.

We will use Japan as the example here. We will assume the Japanese player has three (3) fighters in Japan at the start of a given round of play...

So, in that given round, can those three Japanese fighters do the following (we will assume that these are lucky fighters that don't take any losses in any of the following actions!)?

a) On Japan's turn, be used to attack some ANZAC ships adjacent to Japan.

b) Be used as interceptors against a USA strategic bombing attempt on the USA's turn

c) Be scrambled on the UK-Pacific player's turn to help fend off an amphibious invasion

d) Be scrambled a second time on the ANZAC player's turn to help fend off yet another amphibious invasion attempt

So, to summarize, is it theoretically possible that the same fighters could engage in attacks on its own turn, then be used as interceptors and then scramblers several times during subsequent enemy players' turns during that same one round of play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Just as long that you're NOT using 'Stukas' as "Fighters", then sure, why not? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Slackman
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools

All proposed moves seem fine except the 2nd ANZAC scramble. I am thinking the scramble should only be allowed once per turn.

Although, that may need to be a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tnk0722 wrote:

All proposed moves seem fine except the 2nd ANZAC scramble. I am thinking the scramble should only be allowed once per turn.

Although, that may need to be a house rule.

Well, I can understand that, though if you think about it, given that a complete round of play represents approximately six months of real time, it's not hard to imagine that a fighter wing could make a number of major efforts over the course of those months, including fending off several invasion attempts.

In any event, I'll be interested to hear the official ruling. Krieghund, where are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeping. Where do you think? I can't work 24/7 you know. shake

Your scenario is correct. Scrambling multiple times in a round is no different than defending multiple times in a round. Either way, they're defending in only one battle during each turn. If the territory of Japan were amphibiously assaulted by the US, UK, and ANZAC one after the other, the planes would fight in each battle, wouldn't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Sleeping. Where do you think? I can't work 24/7 you know. shake

Your scenario is correct. Scrambling multiple times in a round is no different than defending multiple times in a round. Either way, they're defending in only one battle during each turn. If the territory of Japan were amphibiously assaulted by the US, UK, and ANZAC one after the other, the planes would fight in each battle, wouldn't they?

SLEEPING! My God, man, don't you realize there are hundreds of Axis & Allies players hanging on your every ruling? The entire world is at stake and you're snoozing! Please!

Oh, and thanks for the answer, Kevin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Slackman
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I suppose the same would apply to AA guns if planes participated in two different battles in the same turn.

Also, now that I think about it. All combat moves are declared before combat so their would be no "second attack" in the same turn.

Anyway, I agree that no sleeping should be permitted to those sage advisors that we depend on for the outcome of these vital competitions of the human spirit!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.