Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse has been out for a couple months now, right? Judging from Drakkenstrike's review in late October, he received an early review copy. In two months, it's number 9 or 10 out of all games on BGG? With just 1,700 ratings? So in two months of play, people know it's a better game than Tigris & Euphrates or El Grande which have been out for over a decade. It used to be "the Bayesian" prevented meteoric rises as steep as this. Why is the cult of the new so strong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Eclipse has been out for a couple months now, right? Judging from Drakkenstrike's review in late October, he received an early review copy. In two months, it's number 9 or 10 out of all games on BGG? With just 1,700 ratings? So in two months of play, people know it's a better game than Tigris & Euphrates or El Grande which have been out for over a decade.

Absolutely. My one big complaint about the rating system, it just doesn't factor lack of votes into account enough.

A game shouldn't get near the top ten until at least 5000-6000 ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another factor that favors the cult of the new is that if ratings are over 1 year old, they either count less or not at all. You'll notice your ratings over a year old have an asterisk. This is probably why Puerto Rico rates lower than Agricola despite having more votes and a higher average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, I'm pretty sure the asterik just means that it's a guess at when you placed it, since they weren't tracking the date of votes back then.

Eclipse is a bit silly.

But it's a big, expensive, limited release game. And apparently it's quite good.

Same sort of storm that TS got, except even more perfect-- people that play it will probably love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, all of your personal ratings over a year old get the asterisk. How this changes how your rating is averaged in the overall rating hasn't been explained, but it's apparent that the "decay" in ratings older games get must be due to some weight given to the age of a rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Maybe ratings over two years get the asterisk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Buying a game only based on the rank it has is not the best thing to do ... but I do know there are people that will purchase a game only by looking at the rank.

I agree, that a new game that is shiny may make it to the top a bit to easily, however in the case of super-duper limited edition games.. Yes, I am looking at you War of the Ring Collector's Edition.... They get to the top because the people that were willing to pay the price probably had the game ranked high to begin with..

I personally would like to see the list (at least for the top 100 or so) only allow 1 entry per game as a whole (I do not need to see every version of Dominion), but I do not make the rules.

At least My Little Pony Hide & Seek made the top spot for a while.

You can not just say "new games can not make the top 10". Maybe if there was a % weight applied to a new game after the first month or two a game is out to ballance the new factor. I do not mind if a game spikes into the top 25 or so if it is brand new because that rating will help sell copies of the new game. I would like to see a new game with fewer ratings moved lower down in ranking after an introductory couple of months if there was a fair way to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
ralpher wrote:
Nope, all of your personal ratings over a year old get the asterisk.

Explain then why
— none of my ratings given after January 2010 carry the asterisk; and
— why on every field with an asterisk a popup with the word 'estimated' appears.

By the way, if your hypothesis is correct, then in a few days' time, the rates of January 2010 should get an asterisk—after all, it will be February shortly.

Quote:
How this changes how your rating is averaged in the overall rating hasn't been explained, but it's apparent that the "decay" in ratings older games get must be due to some weight given to the age of a rating.

There is no weight decay in the averaging. If there was, then oldies would have a really tough time staying as high in the ranks as they do. The meteoric rise of Eclipse is due to initial fans; it will take time for less interested gamers to weigh in with a more conservative opinion. There is no reason to assume that this pattern would not hold for oldies. So if your weight decay hypothesis is correct, the loss of intial enthusiastic rates should coincide with the rise of more realistic votes, pushing games down a lot quicker than is currently the case.

What you are seeing is plain fanboyism. Once you know that, you can ignore Eclipse's rank and continue with life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

A game shouldn't get near the top ten until at least 5000-6000 ratings.

So it has to sell multiple print runs to be considered any good in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
There have been several suggestions threads with people requesting rating decay. Doesn't make much sense to me, though.

Weight game rankings on age
Suggestion: ignore "old" ratings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it hasn't been done yet I just wanted to quickly pop in here and remind everyone that the BGG ranking scale means absolutely nothing and everyone should just play the games they enjoy regardless to what this online community thinks as a whole is a good or bad game.

I now return you to your thread.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I can't stand the Cult of the New. Even though I like to evaluate new games, I really want to explore a game with an opponent or few over many, many games.

However, the Cult of the New is what drives this site, drives interest and drives the industry. Posters really have to start to move beyond their own biases and look at what benefits discussion and diffuse game production as a whole.

I will never be a part of the Cult of the New, but I've reaped many benefits in terms of better games.

The ratings are always going to lean a particular way; just because they don't lean my way (1hr or less gaming) doesn't mean they aren't appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
ralpher wrote:
Nope, all of your personal ratings over a year old get the asterisk.

Explain then why
— none of my ratings given after January 2010 carry the asterisk;

Because they started tracking the date of BGG ratings in January 2010. Before that, they can only make an educated guess as to when you rated the game, which is why it's marked with an asterisk, to indicate the date listed is a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
It used to be "the Bayesian" prevented meteoric rises as steep as this.

It still does, perhaps even too effectively.

The last two games [prior to Eclipse] to break into the BGG Top-25 were Dominant Species and 7 Wonders, both of which won major awards and are clearly top-notch games [for the intended audiences / purposes].

The year before that saw Steam and Dominion: Intrigue, which were simply re-purposed editions of games that were already in the Top-25. Before that, Le Havre, Dominion, Battlestar, and Stone Age entered in a single year.

You can definitely make the case that any of those 2008 titles don't belong, but by and large the titles that are in the Top-25 are easily the most well-loved of recent releases, with flash-in-the-pans excluded.

Old titles like Paths of Glory remain in the Top-25 with vote counts only barely over that of Eclipse. The fact of the matter is that Eclipse really outshines most recent games.

The Top-25 or so seem realistic to me; it's the middling ranks of 50-250 or so that I think deserve to be filled with considerably more older titles. 1700 ratings with an average of 8.5 is stellar and deserves to hit the top ranks, but something like London or Automobile with only a year under their belt, ratings of around 7.5, and raters numbering 2700 doesn't deserve to be listed next to something like a 10- or 20-year old game like Up Front or Antiquity with ratings nearly half a point higher with around half as many votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse is, indeed, a great game, and I think it does deserve its place in the top ten. The most recent game it beat out was Dominion, and I dare say it is many times better than Dominion-though I still love Dominion. As of this morning, it is very close to beating out Dominion Intrigue. While Eclipse may only have around 1,700 votes right now, take a look at those votes: 83% of them are an 8 or higher! How many other games have a similar percentage of votes in that range. And it has more 10s than it does 8s! Granted, Eclipse has a few benefits in its favor: it's new and players haven't had time for the excitement of this game to wear off-which I don't see happening-and it has a high price tag, which usually encourages people to force themselves to like a game since they've invested so much into it. Once the 2nd print run comes out, it may correct itself. However, Eclipse will remain a top 20 game for sure, so its current ranking is not far off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

A game shouldn't get near the top ten until at least 5000-6000 ratings

So it has to sell multiple print runs to be considered any good in the first place?

I don't particularly agree with the initial premise, but your counter-argument is flawed, since 5000 people playing a game does not mean 5000 people need to buy it. Does seem like a large number of people to ask to rate it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I think that a good game is a good game (people likely wouldn't rate it well if they didn't obviously enjoy it) and that a game shouldn't have to "pay it's dues" in order to be recognized as a great game.

I don't think Eclipse is being propped up by people who don't legitimately enjoy playing it and I'm curious as to why you're so against the idea that a game that just came out can be so well liked.

...unless you're just frustrated that other people don't share your tastes - and that would be understandable I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
There have been several suggestions threads with people requesting rating decay. Doesn't make much sense to me, though.

Weight game rankings on age
Suggestion: ignore "old" ratings
Makes every sense to me. But then it would since I started one of those threads.

I simply do not believe that a rating that you gave, say, 5 years ago, is necessarily how you would rate the game today. Indeed, for example, no matter how good you thought it was back then , the game is now competing with a pile of new ones. So I firmly believe that what is needed is a weighting decay (based on age since the rating was made), supported by an easy way to 'renew' ratings in some sort of bulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Eclipse,Puerto Rico,Agricola,Through the Ages,Dominion has been out for a couple months now, right? ... Why is the cult of the new so strong?

What is this, 2003,2004,2008,2009,2010?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Absolutely. If it can't sell out multiple runs, it's not a top game is it?

It's the list of top games of BGG users collectively, not "Bob and 3 other guys from Topeka" top ten list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't heard a bad thing about Eclipse.

It's not Hype if it can be backed up

Cannot wait to play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Absolutely. If it can't sell out multiple runs, it's not a top game is it?

It's the list of top games of BGG users collectively, not "Bob and 3 other guys from Topeka" top ten list.

I made the greatest game in the world. It was loved by fans and critics, families and their pets. Production values were over the top. I sold through the first print run on 5000 in no time flat. Only 80% of the owners bothered to rate it. I lost my shirt producing it due to poor business planning. I died. My estate was in shambles and nobody could clear out the rights to produce it.

Guess my game isn't good enough to be a top rated game because events surrounding the production of the game happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Since it hasn't been done yet I just wanted to quickly pop in here and remind everyone that the BGG ranking scale means absolutely nothing and everyone should just play the games they enjoy regardless to what this online community thinks as a whole is a good or bad game.

I now return you to your thread.

Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine how boring the hobby would be without new games entering the top 25 rankings?

Thats it! Stop making games! Perfection has been achieved! shake

Change is the sign of a healthy industry that is growing. If some (and we are talking about 5 - 10% a year of the top 100) new titles never made it to a high ranking i'm pretty sure that the community & hobby would die.

But I get the impression some people would like that just fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.