Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Vee
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
mbmbmbmbmb
When can a carrier ship launch fighters during the Combat Phase? Only when the carrier is activated?

The Carrier definition in the rules says that fighters can be launched at any time during the Combat and End Phase. At first, I thought this meant that a player can launch fighters from a ship that is about to be destroyed. However, the Combat Phase rules indicate that damage is resolved immediately... and that fighters aboard destroyed carriers are destroyed as well.

The quick reference sheet in the back says that fighters can be launched from or brought aboard Carriers in the End Phase but there's no mention of launching during the Combat Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once and had one carrier. It didn't seem all that useful to be able to launch during the combat phase (the fighters don't get to move until the next turn) other than allowing the carrier to close the range and launch before getting blown up. However, if all opponent ships are more agile than the carrier, it's really no different from launching at the end of the turn.

Now, if it turns out we misplayed it and fighters are allowed to move after getting launched, that would make the carrier's squadron nastier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foo Dog, WBRP: I'll be addressing rules questions on the Imperial Crusade series. We are rewriting the rules and making everything clear. In the meantime:

Carriers can only drop fighters when they are activated.

Fighters are not allowed to move right after being launched but it can be a significant advantage for a Carrier to launch fighters before or during movement.

I've run all my ships forward and the enemy has concentrated fire on my carrier taking it down with all fighters aboard.

I've dropped my fighters BEFORE moving forward and then the enemy ignores my Carrier as a lesser threat. On the next turn my fighters leapfrog over my line of ships and engage the enemy.

With area effect tactics and line-drawn weapons keeping your fighters spread out can be helpful. You can drop one fighter every 2" in the path of your Carrier's movement so they are less of a clumped target.

Check out the Imperial Crusade: Freedom page for more current discussions on rules clarifications and changes!

ICF Page

Keep your sensors locked!

-Fallow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.