Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
Haute-Savoie, Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume I have a face-up planet with a colonize symbol, and a face-down planet I intend to colonize. Player A chooses colonize as his role. I decide to follow.

1. How do I mark this colony on the face-down planet?
2. Can I use my planet's ability again if player B also chooses colonize (and I decide to follow again)?

Is there an example of play available somewhere, by the way?

Grateful for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmiranda wrote:

You don't mark it.
Treat the colonize symbol as -1 when Colonizing all future planets: ie. you need one less symbol for each planet you colonize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
The Colonize symbol is a little different than the others. Rather than provide you a Boost bonus like other symbols, it reduces the cost of Settling by one for each symbol.

This means nothing happens when you Follow, but whenever you want to Settle you can Settle the target world(s) with one less Colony than their printed cost.

*As a strategic aside this is a powerful ability even if it seems counter-intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
And an additional note: You do not use the symbols, when you settle via Terraforming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Maylott
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmiranda wrote:
Assume I have a face-up planet with a colonize symbol, and a face-down planet I intend to colonize. Player A chooses colonize as his role. I decide to follow.

2. Can I use my planet's ability again if player B also chooses colonize (and I decide to follow again)?

As already mentioned, the colonize symbols from planets work a little different by reducing the cost of settling instead of boosting the role.

Here is an example:
You have one planet face up with a colonize symbol.
You have one planet face down with a settle cost of 4 colonies and one colony present.
You have 3 more colonize icons in hand. 2 standard colonize role cards and an advanced research card with a colonize symbol.

Player B chooses colonize role.
Because of the symbol on your face up planet, you only need 3 total colonies under your planet. You want to settle before your leading a role.

You follow and boost the role by placing one colonize role card and the advanced research card as colonies under your planet. You now have 3 colonies.

During your turn, as an action you play colonize and flip that planet over. You can now lead any role you choose that takes advantage of the new planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psmaylott wrote:
pmiranda wrote:

As already mentioned, the colonize symbols from planets work a little different by reducing the cost of settling instead of boosting the role.

Here is an example:
You have one planet face up with a colonize symbol.
You have one planet face down with a settle cost of 4 colonies and one colony present.
You have 3 more colonize icons in hand. 2 standard colonize role cards and an advanced research card with a colonize symbol.

Player B chooses colonize role.
Because of the symbol on your face up planet, you only need 3 total colonies under your planet. You want to settle before your leading a role.

You follow and boost the role by placing one colonize role card and the advanced research card as colonies under your planet. You now have 3 colonies.

During your turn, as an action you play colonize and flip that planet over. You can now lead any role you choose that takes advantage of the new planet.

This is correct! And a good example. One minor nitpick... "Follow" is what you do on another player's turn, "Boost" is what you do on your own turn. So rather than "You follow and boost the role by..." I'd just say "You follow the role by..."

But semantics aside, that example is very good, and answers one of the OP's questions from another thread as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
Haute-Savoie, Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Martin

Rhode Island
msg tools
I have a minor question along the same lines. Say I have a colonize symbol on one of my face-up planets, and a face-down planet with enough colonies to settle it (say five out of five), but no more colonize role cards in hand to flip it face-up with.

If another player chooses the settle role, can I count the symbol on the planet and "follow" without actually discarding any colonize cards to flip my other planet? Initially I was thinking yes, but if it's really a global "your planets require one less colony to settle" then maybe not...

Obviously if you have 4/5 colonies on a planet and a colonize symbol on a settled planet, you would still need to play a colonize card as an action or role, but I'm not sure if an "unnecessary" colonize symbol can be used like a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iranon wrote:
I have a minor question along the same lines. Say I have a colonize symbol on one of my face-up planets, and a face-down planet with enough colonies to settle it (say five out of five), but no more colonize role cards in hand to flip it face-up with.

If another player chooses the settle role, can I count the symbol on the planet and "follow" without actually discarding any colonize cards to flip my other planet? Initially I was thinking yes, but if it's really a global "your planets require one less colony to settle" then maybe not...

Obviously if you have 4/5 colonies on a planet and a colonize symbol on a settled planet, you would still need to play a colonize card as an action or role, but I'm not sure if an "unnecessary" colonize symbol can be used like a card.

You might want to read the Colonize role a little more closely.

As a role (either following or leading), Colonize allows you to tuck any number of colonies under the planet. If you are the leader, then you may use the leader bonus to Settle a planet that has enough colonies on it (instead of putting any colonies on it). Using the leader bonus doesn't require any icons at all, and no amount of icons will let you use the leader bonus unless you are the leader or have... um... that one tech card, Imperialism (I think it's called?) (edit: Nope! It's Bureaucracy) in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Iranon wrote:

As a role (either following or leading), Colonize allows you to tuck any number of colonies under the planet. If you are the leader, then you may use the leader bonus to Settle a planet that has enough colonies on it (instead of putting any colonies on it). Using the leader bonus doesn't require any icons at all, and no amount of icons will let you use the leader bonus unless you are the leader or have... um... that one tech card, Imperialism (I think it's called?) in play.

Chris is right - you cannot flip a planet when it's not your turn. (Exception: the Bureaucracy tech card allows you to break this rule)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Martin

Rhode Island
msg tools
sedjtroll wrote:
arkayn wrote:
Iranon wrote:

As a role (either following or leading), Colonize allows you to tuck any number of colonies under the planet. If you are the leader, then you may use the leader bonus to Settle a planet that has enough colonies on it (instead of putting any colonies on it). Using the leader bonus doesn't require any icons at all, and no amount of icons will let you use the leader bonus unless you are the leader or have... um... that one tech card, Imperialism (I think it's called?) in play.

Chris is right - you cannot flip a planet when it's not your turn. (Exception: the Bureaucracy tech card allows you to break this rule)

D'oh! Thanks for the clarification. For some reason I was looking at the action instead of the role -- it should have occurred to me that it works the same way following warfare does.

Seth, thanks a bunch for this lovely game. I can't wait to see your ideas for expansion(s)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.