Subject: Error in weapons availability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
charles mayell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Rolling Thunder USAF 1967 lists AGM-62 walleye as an available weapon. And yet there is not a USAF aircraft capable of carrying it. An error, or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that must be a copy-paste error on the campaign sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is error on table. Don't believe the Walleye was available to operational units in 1967.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Spindler
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
Wikipedia states that the bomb was used in 67 against the Dragon's Jaw bridge, albeit w/o doing enough damage to the structure. A hit on the Hanoi power plant was also scored with Walleyes by Navy aircraft. Both according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-62_Walleye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was tempted to reply "I stand corrected" but I think the question still remains. "Air War" shows Walleye availability to USAF as 1968, and whatever the faults of its playability, David Isby & company generally got the numbers (except for guesses on classified info.) pretty accurate.

In addition, the question didn't state what RoutePack the target was in. Special projects like the Paul Doumer bridge generally got choice loads & lots of planning. Viet Nam was before my time (edit: born but just a teener), but if there are any retired AF types lurking, I'd be interested to know if they were generally available.

Having said that, unless it's ground support in the South, play it however you want. For what it is, PL is a fun little game, but historic aircraft tasking isn't it's strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.