Subject: Anti-Matter weapons against population rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
So when firing anti-matter weapons (or plasma cannons) against population can you split the damage amongst the population?

We have been playing that each die can only hit one population no matter how much damage it does (just like in ship combat) but after rereading the rules I think we might be wrong.

"Each point of damage destroys one Population Cube of your choosing." is bold in population damage section. Which seems to suggest the damage from dice can be split amongst the population.

We have played 20 games with 1 dice per population cube, if we were indeed wrong then this changes the game a lot with regards to games when neutron bombs never turned up. I was not expecting to find a rule we might have got wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
"Each point of damage destroys one Population Cube of your choosing." is bold in population damage section. Which seems to suggest the damage from dice can be split amongst the population.

It doesn't just suggest it, it explicitly states it!
It happens to all of us, can't always remember all the rules. Makes you paranoid for your understanding of other games' rules, doesn't it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

By default, one point of damage will destroy a Ship. Each
Hull symbol on Ship Parts will absorb one point of dam­
age. So, if a Ship has two Improved Hull parts, it will be
destroyed by the fifth point of damage. Damage from one
die (eg. Plasma or Antimatter Cannons) may not be split to
several targets.

I think this is what confused me as it is similar to the population section and then goes on to say that damage from one die may not be split to several targets. I just assumed population had the same exception.

I look forward to our first proper game of Eclipse now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tery McAlister

Louisiana
msg tools
Hmm, we always played it as though the planets were ships. I.e. higher damage weapons could eliminate multiple population cubes from a single planet - but could not be split between multiple planets.

A closer reading of the rules shows this to be incorrect - but we'll probably keep doing it that way anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On my 6th game this question came up and i answered "it behaves just like ships", but the player asked me to look it up anyway. Wow, i felt like a dummy when i read that section out loud. Makes Neutron bombs not quite as essential as they have been in all our previous games. Dude had anti-matter/positron computer interceptors so i don't blame him for forcing me to look this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyHexagon wrote:
On my 6th game this question came up and i answered "it behaves just like ships", but the player asked me to look it up anyway. Wow, i felt like a dummy when i read that section out loud. Makes Neutron bombs not quite as essential as they have been in all our previous games. Dude had anti-matter/positron computer interceptors so i don't blame him for forcing me to look this up.

Well, that's probably why Neutron Bombs only cost 2 research
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I think neutron bombs are really a must in some cases.

Especially when you are having a heavy battle for a very populated-hex (say, center-hex) and don't expect to have much survivors from your fleet. Then it can be a MUST to take no chances in conquering that said hex to get the precious economy- or other resources.

And they are very convenient anyway, almost no cost to get one piece up on the techladder making next tech cheaper. (no roll to conquer a hex also gives me great peace of mind )

rgds,
Lieven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.