Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Nerdy is now Cool! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok we all know that being "nerdy" is now cool. With various shows on TV with "Nerdy / lovable" characters and of course the ultimate shows would be Big Bang and IT Crowd to bring this to the forfront.

Also several hot actors/actresses feel the need to say "in highschool I was the big nerd that no one liked, but look at me now. tee hee"

Also kids today are doing things that I was blamed for beeing a geek about

(ie. Using a modem, chatting online, playing online games, downloading files. etc.)

With huge surge of comic book movies, suddenly people love comics. "oh yea, I was always a big comic book fan" says the guy that didn't know who green lantern was before the movie came out.

or the massive amount of band wagon jumpers who were suddenly "huge fantasy fans" once Lord of the Rings hit theatres (or sadly, when Harry Potter hit theatres).


Now what was really weird, was yesterday, I was on the train on my way into work when I saw this really really hot girl sitting a few seats away reading. Nothing too unusual about that. Curious about what book she was reading (as I am usually interested to see what random people are reading). I immediately recognized the cover of said book:




Since when did really hot girls start reading nerd-fare such as Ender's Game? If i saw ANY girl in highschool reading Ender's Game, I would have been shocked.
16 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they are working on a movie

(have been over 10 years now I think, it keeps being postponed cry )
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of notes:
- I know quite a few girls who read SF. Nothing strange about that.
- The fact that she reads SF makes her hot. You are confusing cause and effect.
22 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
A couple of notes:
- I know quite a few girls who read SF. Nothing strange about that.
- The fact that she reads SF makes her hot. You are confusing cause and effect.




Well yea, I know a couple girls now that read sf, but not a lot. And this girl seemed like she went with a different crowd. Her clothes, the way she carried herself, her look. It just didn't fit with the book that was in her hands.
8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, how was the date?
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that every time I step on the Metro (almost daily), I see someone reading one of the Song of Ice and Fire books - hot girls included.

I once saw a hot girl reading Watchmen on the Metro. I don't even think it was around the time the movie came out.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nerdy is not cool. Just with the advent of the internet, Nerds now have a way to socially interact with each other in a way that they still can't do on an interpersonal level. Cool kids still think nerds are nerds, it's just that we have more friends than we did back in the day..who are also still nerds.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
A couple of notes:
- I know quite a few girls who read SF. Nothing strange about that.
- The fact that she reads SF makes her hot. You are confusing cause and effect.


I like this!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last summer, leading up to my son's AP English class in the fall, his teacher assigned a book to read. I was impressed that Ender's Game was on the list.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowdays Nerds is so #Mainstream
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Last summer, leading up to my son's AP English class in the fall, his teacher assigned a book to read. I was impressed that Ender's Game was on the list.

I dunno. "Fahrenheit 451", "1984", "Brave New World", "The Time Machine", "The Invisible Man", "Slaughterhouse Five" and "A Clockwork Orange" were in our regular rotation at High School. Yes, I realize that most of these are considered 'literature', but each has a strong sci-fi component that is conveniently ignored by the so-called high-brows.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Patton Oswalt wrote an excellent article about this for Wired last year:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/ff_angrynerd_geekcultu...

It funny that I'm about his age, was living just a few minutes from him at the time and was doing a lot of the same stuff. We might have even some common friends.

He even went to W&M at the same time as many of my friends.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Francis
Canada
Morse
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
just recently i had an old acquaintance comment on how I was "trying to fit in by being a geek", i lost my mind, this was one of the same lowbrow, unimaginative individual who i grew up with who followed fashion, trends, and the other sheep all the way along, now they too were dawning a t shirt (from walmart) with the Green Lantern movie em blazed on it and had just informed me that the now play board games, mostly settlers of Catan, but Carcasson as well. AND IM THE ONE WHO IS THE (in their words) POSER?, I politely asked this person (who had known me for years) to remember how i was a a child, teen, young adult, and to think at what point did I become the poser. the conversation soon ended with us talking about our kids, I had told them the names of my children and when i dropped my sons name of Tiberius James Kirklin, it flew so far past them they commented on how original that name was. lmao
12 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced my wife, Mary, to Ender's Game a few months ago. She has now read the entire series and has moved onto the Bean/Hegemon series. She has enjoyed every sci-fi novel I've given her so far. It helps that she was into sci-fi long before we started dating.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
Well, they are working on a movie

(have been over 10 years now I think, it keeps being postponed cry )


according to the IMDb it will be in cinema's 15 March 2013

Director: Gavin Hood
Writers: Gavin Hood (screenplay), Orson Scott Card (novel)
Stars: Harrison Ford, Abigail Breslin and Hailee Steinfeld


Cast:
Harrison Ford - HColonel Hyram Graff (rumored)
Abigail Breslin - Valentine Wiggin
Hailee Steinfeld - Petra Arkanian
Asa Butterfield - Ender Wiggin
Ben Kingsley - Mazer Rackham
Moises Arias - Bonzo
Aramis Knight - Bean
Jimmy 'Jax' Pinchak - Peter Wiggin
Brendan Meyer - Stilson
Brandon Soo Hoo - Fly Molo
Khylin Rhambo - Dink Meeker
Conor Carroll - Bernard



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben Kingsley is who I pictured when I read Mazer Rackham anyway. Good call.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Last summer, leading up to my son's AP English class in the fall, his teacher assigned a book to read. I was impressed that Ender's Game was on the list.

I dunno. "Fahrenheit 451", "1984", "Brave New World", "The Time Machine", "The Invisible Man", "Slaughterhouse Five" and "A Clockwork Orange" were in our regular rotation at High School. Yes, I realize that most of these are considered 'literature', but each has a strong sci-fi component that is conveniently ignored by the so-called high-brows.


Agreed... I read Brave new World in school, and I remember some of the girls in one of our group project's that we had to do, were clueless as to what was really going on. I didn't think anything of it.

Then another year, we were reading some short stories, and there was one about this tribe of people trying to survive a harsh winter (or ice age?) and how they had to keep this previous artifact from a begone era intact and so forth. This artifact remains in their possession for generations until the tribe eventually dies out, thousand years later or so some aliens discover the artifact and upon viewing it's contents, finds out that it's a recorded animated film of some cartoon.

That was the short and sweet of it, it was pretty straight forward with a comical twist ending.

I remember a girl in our class moaning about "how she didn't "get" the story we had to read for homework"

I asked her what was the problem, and eventually I started to explain the entire story to her. At the time I was in shock that I had to actually explain, for what seemd an extremely straight forward story that had mild sci-fi elements in it (ie aliens, tribe that at first is portrayed as ancient/cave man but then turns out to be a future tribe after civilization dissapears).

When I was done with my explination, there were about 5 or 6 more people standing around listening in, most were girls.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
Mousey wrote:
Well, they are working on a movie

(have been over 10 years now I think, it keeps being postponed cry )


according to the IMDb it will be in cinema's 15 March 2013

Director: Gavin Hood
Writers: Gavin Hood (screenplay), Orson Scott Card (novel)
Stars: Harrison Ford, Abigail Breslin and Hailee Steinfeld


Cast:
Harrison Ford - HColonel Hyram Graff (rumored)
Abigail Breslin - Valentine Wiggin
Hailee Steinfeld - Petra Arkanian
Asa Butterfield - Ender Wiggin
Ben Kingsley - Mazer Rackham
Moises Arias - Bonzo
Aramis Knight - Bean
Jimmy 'Jax' Pinchak - Peter Wiggin
Brendan Meyer - Stilson
Brandon Soo Hoo - Fly Molo
Khylin Rhambo - Dink Meeker
Conor Carroll - Bernard





True, I knew it was coming... But I find that unless you are a nerd and up to date on the movie rumour mill, most people won't start rushing to read the book of any movie adaptation until the first trailer hits theaters. (myself included).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Goh
Singapore
N.A.
Nil
flag msg tools
mb


There's also a parody of popular Lmfao's "Sexy and I know it" on the topic. For the record, I don't play the above.

Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

Now what was really weird, was yesterday, I was on the train on my way into work when I saw this really really hot girl sitting a few seats away reading. Nothing too unusual about that. Curious about what book she was reading (as I am usually interested to see what random people are reading). I immediately recognized the cover of said book:




Since when did really hot girls start reading nerd-fare such as Ender's Game? If i saw ANY girl in highschool reading Ender's Game, I would have been shocked.


Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
A couple of notes:
- I know quite a few girls who read SF. Nothing strange about that.
- The fact that she reads SF makes her hot. You are confusing cause and effect.




Well yea, I know a couple girls now that read sf, but not a lot. And this girl seemed like she went with a different crowd. Her clothes, the way she carried herself, her look. It just didn't fit with the book that was in her hands.


I know Singapore's general education system doesn't have this "high school" unless you look at the international schools, either, (the close equivalent is "secondary school") but quickly cracking Wikipedia suggests 13 - 16 or 18 years of age. I didn't really start reading the Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow series until I was 18 and a half, although I had certainly heard of it earlier. In fact, I was recommended the book by a younger girl when I was 17.

So, yeah, girls in high school do read Ender's Game.

Er, for the purposes of discussion, can you guys define "really, really hot girl"? Because, to my knowledge, for some ladies, dress, carriage and look varies, depending on their mood. This is certainly true for me. So a clearer definition would be helpful.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.