Jesse Pass
msg tools
ninja Whats up all you hardcore gamers out there. I need your help. I am just getting into board games again and I'm wondering which ones I can get. I like games that are hard but also some that have alot of strategy in them. I play alot of them with my wife and these are the games that I have so far:

The Walking Dead (Movie Board Game)
Last Night on Earth
Food Fight (Getting expansion in March)
Eaten by Zombies (Deck Builder)
Ghost Stories (Hopefully by February)

I love zombie games but I'm also interested in deck building and strategy games. What games do you recommend? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated and I'm open to any type of game whether its war, gladiator or whatever the theme maybe. I would like some that I could play with my wife (Wife loves Food Fight) similar to Food Fight. Thanks for all the help.

Jpsolo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Fassnacht II
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies!!! is fun. Arkham Horror is another good one and last but not least for solo game Chainsaw Warrior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Pass
msg tools
Any 3-5 player games in mind. Awesome game suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good ones for two players are:

Lost Cities
Hive
Mr. Jack
and Battle Line

Also, if you're into deck building then don't forget San Juan and Dominion (which is probably where you should start!)

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about hard but here are games we play together.

Zombies!!! is likely to be a let down if you have LNoE.
+1 Ghost Stories

Carcassonne
Oregon
The Downfall of Pompeii
Fresco
Jaipur
Dust
Memoir '44
Pandemic
Alhambra
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
Catan (not officially but we love it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Catan (not officially but we love it.)

There is an official two player variant, and we love it too.

+1 for Fresco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle is an awesome 2 player game. Lots of theme, lots of strategy, and cards

A Few Acres of Snow is a 2 player deck-building war-themed game...

Both might be a bit rules intensive for beginners, but once you get the main concepts they're not complex at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mr. Jack. Look at Go, too. Both have very few rules and are quite deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (co-op, 2-player or solo) or perhaps Rune Age (competitive & co-op scenarios, plays up to 4, plays well with 2 and can also be played solo)...

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is another one that just came to mind that you might also want to take a look at...can't be played solo, but it plays very well with 2 players. If you have an iPad, there's a great app for it; that way you could try before you buy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been into boardgames for just over a year. I'm currently heavily addicted to Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations which is a great solo game and can also be played co-op.
If you don't mind a war theme and want to step-up the complexity a level, try No Retreat! The Russian Front. Great for two, and can be played solo if you download the free solitaire pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here are some resources on BGG that I found useful in selecting games for me and the wife.

Games that Are Worth Purchasing Solely for Playing Two-Player, but Are Capable of Supporting More Players

A Crazy Couple's Co-op Guide, Revised 2011 Edition

Just Us Two, A Couple Close Gamers Weigh In... Our experiences with 2-player games (couples: husband versus wife)

Also, you'll want to comb through the Recommendations forum with the search function. You'll find *mountains* of posts about two player games and/or recommendations based off games you already have in your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ghost Stories

Arkham Horror
Elder Sign
Onirim
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
95% of all my gaming is with my wife and we enjoy:

Thurn and Taxis
Stone Age
Jaipur
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
Dominion
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Can't Stop
Dragonheart

Single Player I enjoy:
Onirim
Friday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...just remembered the new Mage Knight Board Game. It's sort of an RPG board game with deck-building. It's a bit daunting at first, but once you've played a game, it becomes much more intuitive. It can be a tad on the long side, and it's fairly expensive, but it's an excellent game. Can be played competitively or co-op, up to 4 players or solo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played it once (which is why it is still unrated) but I can say with extreme confidence that Eaten by Zombies! is not the best deck builder and may even sour your opinion on the genre overall. I know you like the zombie theme, but I'd suggest you try something else as your first deck builder. When I got back into boardgaming after leaving it about the time I got my first car way too many years ago deck building turned out to be my wifes favorite genre. I personally still like Dominion the best, but its not exactly soaking in theme. Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is good with 2 players. I personally don't enjoy it much with 3 and I hate it with 4 players. But two players does allow some strategy and actual "deck building".

I haven't actually tried it yet, but everything I've read leads me to believe that even Resident Evil Deck Building Game is a better deck builder and its got zombies to boot (I assume it does anyway).

If your wife likes strategy I can't recommend these enough.

Dungeon Twister 2: Prison
Earth Reborn
Mage Knight Board Game

Tons of theme, tons of stragegy, all excellent 2 players games. Two of which also excel as solo; DT and MK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse is a great co-op game if you like the superhero theme. Admittedly, if you're not a fan of the superhero genre then you'll probably just feel lukewarm about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
...just remembered the new Mage Knight Board Game. It's sort of an RPG board game with deck-building. It's a bit daunting at first, but once you've played a game, it becomes much more intuitive. It can be a tad on the long side, and it's fairly expensive, but it's an excellent game. Can be played competitively or co-op, up to 4 players or solo...

I can't recommend MK any more strongly as a strategy game. But don't buy/consider it if you are only interested because of the deck building bit. MK is not a deck builder. Yes, it uses a deck building mechanic. You can add new cards to your deck and the cards available to you change as the game is played. But throughout the whole coarse of a game you are only adding roughly 10 cards (non computed anecdotal average in my head) and only cycling your deck approx 6 times depending upon scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:

I think this one would be quite good solo. I played 3 player w/o PvP and it was fun (but with lots of downtime).

If you are looking for 1 on 1, I love Dominion with 2-4 players but have played a otn with my wife and it is most excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stratton
United Kingdom
Newark on Trent
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Just to throw in my "two cents" as you americans would say:

Me an my wife both enjoy fairly regular games of Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Arkham Horror, and I believe they can both be played solo, although I've never tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the games that me and my Husband currently enjoy with each other:

For card games with two players:
Glory to Rome...( a thinker's card game, not a solo play).
Lord of the Rings: The Card Game...(this one is also very good solo).
Summoner Wars..(ideal for two).
Nightfall with Nightfall: Blood Country
Tanto Cuore...(a niche game that looks girlish but has some interesting choices in deckbuilding).

For board games w/ fantasy or other setting that are fairly easy to learn, good with two and solo:
Defenders of the Realm
Runebound second edition (soon oop, but nice to play solo or with another. It is not a co-operative game, more like multi-solo).
Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon
Conquest of Planet Earth...(it has a solo play, but we have not tried it solo yet).
...and nearly any co-operative type game works well with two or solo.

For board games that are not good solo, but are good with two:
Stone Age..(a worker-placement game)
Memoir 44...(not a war-game, but a game about fighting in WWII, easy and fun)
Alien Frontiers...(a dice-placement game mechanic that has a sci-fi setting.)
Jambo with it's little expansions...(this is a card-driven game of commerce that is made for two players. The artwork on the cards are quite beautiful).

That's my starter list for you. Hope you both find great fun in board-gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.