Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it annoying that not one of the spellcheckers I use accepts playtest or playtesting as a word. Instead they suggest "play test" and "play testing" but to me those two mean something entirely different: that you're "playing" that you're "testing", while "playtesting" is the activity of testing your games.

What do you folks think? Is there a deficiency of game geeks amongst dictionary makers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtest.

Ignore the spellcheck program! Fight back against the machines... remember SkyNet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Schlundt
United States
Gainesville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahaha, I would concur. Playtesting is the participle form of "To Playtest".

I sometimes wish English had endings like Greek or Spanish (and Hebrew to a n extent although slightly..."Backward".)

I just add it to my Chrome dictionary and move on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
*cowers from skynet*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playtest

And as such,

Playtester - One whom playtests
Playtestee - One whom is playtested upon
Plytestathon - A charity event in the occupy of playtesting
Playtestambulist - One whom walks while playtesting
Playtestification - The act of which playtesting is happened upon
Palytestagogue - One whom is in the charge of a playtest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
*cowers from skynet*

And as such,

Playtestee - One whom is playtested upi

If wikipedia can't even get "whom" right, you're going to trust it for "playtest"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
lol - skynet Wiki is all powerful and is never wrong. *glowers* Those were all my own personal additions. I am most proud of my cunning linguistic use of "Playtestification" and as such have now declared this word to replace all previous mentions of "playtest"

Anyway, back on track:

Good luck with the playtestification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
filwi wrote:

What do you folks think? Is there a deficiency of game geeks amongst dictionary makers?

I think it's more that there's a dearth of any field-specific language in most computer programs' dictionaries!

On a cheekier note, following form from other, similar words (e.g. "desertification", "petrification", etc.), shouldn't "playtestification" mean "the process of turning into a playtest"?

Perhaps it describes those situations where a group of people it down to play a game, realise it has something wrong with it and start ad-libbing and incorporating rules changes in an attempt to improve it? "Our gaming session underwent playtestification on Tuesday after Bob pulled out Monopoly!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Kuligowski
United States
Definitely a city, not a town
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I always boil it down to the fact that English is two pages of rules and ninety-nine pages of exceptions. Based on that, what's one more exception?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
Palytestagogue

That sounds like some sort of terrible bodily affliction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Schlundt
United States
Gainesville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*shuffles through some papers at the hospital*

Yep here it is

Admitting Diagnosis: Palytestagogue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's even more scary is that if you google "Palytestagogue" this thread comes up .... it's only been here for an hour or two! Google has spies everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Awesome. Words ftw.

Palytestification: "The process of turning into a playtest"

Is a better word.

"Ahh yes Samuel!, how is Atompunk coming along now?" "Ahh gentle sir, it is currently in playtestification!" "Good news old chum! Let us play baccarat and dine on fine cheeses!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under every pile of leaves a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember the palytestagogues vied with the hierololophants for spiritual power in ancient Egypt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
I consider "playtest" to be game design jargon. As jargon, it is a word from a specialized dictionary that may not appear in a general usage dictionary, such as the dictionary used in your browser or word processor. So, it isn't "fighting against the machines". It's just the word does not have common usage because it is jargon. Whether it ever makes it into the common usage dictionaries depends on whether game design jargon becomes useful to for common usage conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Platypus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
*cowers from skynet*

And as such,

Playtestee - One whom is playtested upon

You forgot:
"Playtesticle" - that guy who's hanging around long after the other players are done giving feedback, giving you tons and tons more feedback, virtually none of which is useful because he has a critical lack of understanding about either basic strategy in the game, the intended target audience for the game, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
What's even more scary is that if you google "Palytestagogue" this thread comes up .... it's only been here for an hour or two! Google has spies everywhere!

Its listed as one of the cults in the Playtestanomicon...
sauron "ia! ia! Platypus fhtagn!" sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hawkins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Cogentesque wrote:
*cowers from skynet*

And as such,

Playtestee - One whom is playtested upi

If wikipedia can't even get "whom" right, you're going to trust it for "playtest"?

Wikipedia is edited by its users, correct? I have no problem believing more people care about the proper definition of "playtest" than that of "whom". Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
filwi wrote:
I find it annoying that not one of the spellcheckers I use accepts playtest or playtesting as a word. Instead they suggest "play test" and "play testing" but to me those two mean something entirely different: that you're "playing" that you're "testing", while "playtesting" is the activity of testing your games.

It isn't a word in its own right, it is a compound construction. Thus you use a hyphen: play-test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
filwi wrote:

It isn't a word in its own right, it is a compound construction. Thus you use a hyphen: play-test.

Of course you can use a hyphen. But I think most people who do it (which includes me) don't. But the argument that because a word is a compound it isn't a word and needs a hyphen has a lot of everyday English exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtest, of course -- from the German: Spieleprobe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Dearlove wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
filwi wrote:

Of course you can use a hyphen. But I think most people who do it (which includes me) don't. But the argument that because a word is a compound it isn't a word and needs a hyphen has a lot of everyday English exceptions.

Heh

Play-test has not yet, as far as I know, moved from construction to word the way that, well, everyday did. Needs time to ripen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
"Needs time to Ri-pen" (ftfy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I was a teen-ager, I would play board-games at the week-end.

These days, I've come to understand that language is defined by usage, particularly when talking about field-specific language, and I've stopped being so prissy about it.

Honestly, the spellcheck (oops, there's another one!) omission that annoys me the most when posting on this site is actually 'Carcassonne'. I'm pretty sure I can spell 'playtest' on my own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.