Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Praise the sun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

I played a game of WiF arround 20 years ago (I can't remember wich edition it was) so I bought a copy of WiF Deluxe a couple years ago.

Now I want to play it again but it has to be learned again and other players are new to the game.

What scenarios and options you think I should go for?

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with Barbarossa with the basi ruleset so you can get the land and air rules learnt. Then move on to Guadalcanal for the naval rules. Once you've got these under your belt, you can review the options to see if there's anything you feel you need to add.

What I've always wanted to do is run both at the same time with me a a GM, that way four people are learning the game at once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:
I would start with Barbarossa with the basi ruleset so you can get the land and air rules learnt. Then move on to Guadalcanal for the naval rules. Once you've got these under your belt, you can review the options to see if there's anything you feel you need to add.

This is my standard recommendation for learning WIF, too. As for options, once you get past a couple of learning scenarios, I think most people think essential ones are Partisans, Lending, and Offensive Chits. I also really like the 2d10 combat chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Praise the sun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both!

I'll go for Barbarossa then.

@Wendell: why the 2d10 chart? Can you tell me more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DReaper wrote:
Thanks both!

I'll go for Barbarossa then.

@Wendell: why the 2d10 chart? Can you tell me more?

It gives more benefit to massing armor, which feels right. A 4-1 attack (for example) in the clear in clear weather with four armor/mech units is much better than 4-1 with one or none.

Also, I like having the bell-curve of a 2d10 roll vs the 1d10. Also, the introduction on 2d10 of "half-flips" I prefer to 1d10, where either ALL the attacking units flip after combat, or none do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Also, I like having the bell-curve of a 2d10 roll vs the 1d10.

I just played my first game of WiF with 1d10, and found the complete randomness of the results (rolling 1 just as likely as rolling 10) a bit jarring. I think if I were to play it again, I would prefer 2d10. The bell curve seems appropriate, or at least more to my liking; I think one should have at least a vague idea of expected outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Praise the sun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Wendell.
I'll use just Classic WiF for the first games and 2D10 table.

regards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

I just played my first game of WiF with 1d10, and found the complete randomness of the results (rolling 1 just as likely as rolling 10) a bit jarring. I think if I were to play it again, I would prefer 2d10. The bell curve seems appropriate, or at least more to my liking; I think one should have at least a vague idea of expected outcomes.

We held off playing with 2d10 combat for years before switching. No idea why and we certainly wouldn't switch back. In addition to the obvious probability smoothing the dr modifiers do a far better job of creating the right "feel".

I would assume that Harry will make 2d10 combat the standard in the WiF Gold rules set. Does anyone know the status of this, by the way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nailsworthnobby wrote:
delp1871 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

We held off playing with 2d10 combat for years before switching. No idea why and we certainly wouldn't switch back. In addition to the obvious probability smoothing the dr modifiers do a far better job of creating the right "feel".

I would assume that Harry will make 2d10 combat the standard in the WiF Gold rules set. Does anyone know the status of this, by the way?

There is a new rules-set being kicked around, debated, and playtested. I hope we'll see it out in 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gray
United States
Strasburg
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried to introduce the 2D10 rules to a friend in preparation for a game we were planning but he absolutely did not want to consider them. No amount of demonstrating probabilities or arguing or anything would convince him that it was possible to improve on the 1D10 rules from the basic set. Finally I told him I would not play a campaign unless he played a Barbarossa scenario with me using the 2D10 rules. His first attack, he rolled somewhat low with 2D10 and got one of the half flip results. I made him compare what a somewhat low roll on the 1D10 would have been, and that finally sold him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.