Memoir '44» Forums » Variants

Subject: Retreat as last action in the combat phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ciano Panza
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A flag, as a result of a roll of the dice, is often an advantage!
You can move your unit under attack in a favorable terrain, a repair, far from an enemy infantry or in a hex with blocked view.
I think this is a silly rule!

I'm thinking that, all flag-movements are to resolve at the end of turn, before the draw of a new card.
This means you can't flee with your unit during an enemy attack.

You could use Risk!'s purple flags to note how many flag the unit gets during the turn and resolve this flags just after the attack phase.

What do you think about this variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two sides to every coin. If the defender won't retreat right away the unit also won't be eliminated from impossible retreats, but still blocking LOS, giving a disadvantage to the attacker. Retreating units might block the retreat path of other units making them easier to kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciano Panza
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
There are two sides to every coin. If the defender won't retreat right away the unit also won't be eliminated from impossible retreats, but still blocking LOS, giving a disadvantage to the attacker. Retreating units might block the retreat path of other units making them easier to kill.

Thanks for your reply,
With this variant, I think the disadvantage for attacker is: he can't force the defender to leave a good terrain (and then to shoot him with other units) until end of turn. Defender's units have terrain's bonus for all attacks during the turn... But this may be interesting!

Every coin have two faces, but too often a flag-face on a dice is a big advantage for the defender... that he can save his unit and often is a waste of time for the attacker (he can't shoot with next unit if the defender is now out of view) just for an unlucky roll of dice. So I think this variant may be interesting to test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cianopanza wrote:

Every coin have two faces, but too often a flag-face on a dice is a big advantage for the defender... that he can save his unit and often is a waste of time for the attacker (he can't shoot with next unit if the defender is now out of view) just for an unlucky roll of dice. So I think this variant may be interesting to test.

Yes, but I think that is the point of retreating units, and something you have to plan for. I think the game would be over much quicker, and have less strategic choices if you could just gang up on units, and fire away at them.

Also, if you had say, three units firing at one unit, the amount of flags that would come up would most likely destroy the unit, making the flags kind of silly - why not just have more infantry hits on the dice then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both sides of the retreat flag and the added strategy they bring. . Of course, for defense I love to get my dieing troops removed a bit from further harm. As an attacker, I need to plan for potential retreats while I'm moving my attacking troops.

In a real war, I don't think troops would wait to retreat until all firing stops from all angles. So being able to step back during enemy attacks from different approaches is a good element.

Without retreats and unlucky dice rolls, the game would be much shorter - which I wouldn't like.

But since you've tossed out this idea, we may try this option during out next play just for fun and to see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoardGameFamily wrote:
I love both sides of the retreat flag and the added strategy they bring. . Of course, for defense I love to get my dieing troops removed a bit from further harm. As an attacker, I need to plan for potential retreats while I'm moving my attacking troops.

+1

Planning attacks, specifically the order in which the attacking pieces fire, is a big part of the strategy in the game. Which of the attacking pieces will still have the defending unit in range and in LOS if a retreat takes place? That attacker should probably fire last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruumsh wrote:

+1

Planning attacks, specifically the order in which the attacking pieces fire, is a big part of the strategy in the game. Which of the attacking pieces will still have the defending unit in range and in LOS if a retreat takes place? That attacker should probably fire last.

I agree. You're trying to fix something that isn't broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like the way that flags work, I often set my attacks up to try and take advange of this, when attacking units in a town i will try to move inf units in the 2 hexes in front of the town and 1 or 2 tanks to the rear but allowing a hex for the enemy to retreat through, so if the inf units roll a flag my tanks with have the enemy in the open. Another way is by using all inf units and surrounding the town so there is no retreat path, this then increases your odds on gaining hits. (these are just 2 examples of how I use flag results to my advantage as the attacker)

I think if you take away the way flags work you will lose a level of stratergy. I agree that it can be frustrating rolling flags as the attacker sometimes, but you have to come up with ways to use it to your advantage, like I have given above. Battles are often won by the more imaginative generals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am missing something, but doesn't that ruin Close Assault and Armor Overrun advantages??

Armor's ability to follow troops retreat and attack again is the whole advantage of having tanks. Without this they would be weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
Maybe I am missing something, but doesn't that ruin Close Assault and Armor Overrun advantages??

Armor's ability to follow troops retreat and attack again is the whole advantage of having tanks. Without this they would be weak.

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Yes, if there is no retreat until later, the armor will have no overrun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a real war, I don't think troops would wait to retreat until all firing stops from all angles. So being able to step back during enemy attacks from different approaches is a good element.

To be honest, in a real war, your units wouldn't attack 1 at a time either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.