Rob Rennich
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking a lot recently about using gaming as a way to educate college students outside the classroom. I strongly believe that games are a great way to achieve developmental learning outcomes. Am I all alone or is anyone else a practitioner of this obscure profession, who enjoys this obscure hobby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rennich
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
......cricket.........cricket.........tumbleweed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franziska
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the tumbleweed..

Does your college have a games-society? They may be a great place to gauge interest and collect some pointers. The members study different subject and enjoy games already so they should be able to help you find some answers.

If not, you could also contact other colleges games societies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rennich
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically, game societies or clubs are student organizations. Right now, my institution has a "Wargamers Club" and a "Chess Club". I have some students that I interact with who are drafting a constitution and attempting to form a board gaming club (I will become the faculty/staff adviser).

The thing that I'm really looking for though, is someone who understands both gaming/games and Student Development Theory (the developmental psychology that serves as the philosophical underpinning of a student affairs - outside the classroom education. Things like http://www.cabrini.edu/communications/ProfDev/cardevChickeri... or http://thesabloggers.org/2010/09/redefining-student-engageme... or http://www.uiowa.edu/~epls/faculty/pascarel/papers/carney.pd...)

I know plenty of people who know one or the other, but not both - so when I try to have a conversation to clarify, strengthen and analyze my ideas, I end up spending more time educating about games or educating about student development, and not really having a conversation that can help me solidify my thoughts on how the two might marry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Science wrote:
The thing that I'm really looking for though, is someone who understands both gaming/games and Student Development Theory (the developmental psychology that serves as the philosophical underpinning of a student affairs - outside the classroom education.

Well, after teaching in a college for several years after working in industry, I don't think anyone really understands Student Development Theory. Note the word "Theory". IMO, whatever you want to do will be just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've begun in the Student Affairs Profession just through this last year. Its been a lot of learning curve but I too have wanted to find ways to integrate boardgames into the Leadership Development we do with our students.

I personally don't do a lot of the trainings but of the few I have done I've always tried to incorporate activities. So far Reverse Charades is the only actual board game I've used in a class though. I used it to highlight innovation and communication. It went over really well actually.

My University had a boardgame club when I was a student here a few years back, but I guess while I was gone it got rolled into another club. I think there is also a chess club but I would have to check that it is still chartered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really expect many replies in 3 hours, can you?

You have a bunch of people who know games and are interested in education. Share your thoughts and maybe someone will join in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engineer Dad wrote:
Well, after teaching in a college for several years after working in industry, I don't think anyone really understands Student Development Theory. Note the word "Theory". IMO, whatever you want to do will be just fine.

That's because theories often live in an idealized world. Turning them into practical courses is harder. At the end of the day, you and the student only have so much time to devote to each course. Some goals have to take the backseat so I can spend more time making sure that a future engineer (or increasingly more common, some future financial technician) doesn't make a math mistake that winds up hurting someone.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy learning about pedagogical theory and try to incorporate it where I can, but teachers have to be practical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rennich
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
Share your thoughts and maybe someone will join in.

Good idea. Here are the beginnings of some thoughts - robrennich.wordpress.com

Part of the issue for me is that I'm trying to figure out how to articulate and develop some half-formed ideas into something more substantial. That's hard to do on internet forums as opposed to in conversation. I'm trying to find some colleagues that can pick up a phone or jump on skype and talk some things out.

berensdad wrote:
Hi Rob,
I have worked in Student Affairs at the University of Alabama for 10 years. I have been into boardgames, as a hobby, for about a year. Like many, I played Settlers and Carcassonne, and thought, "there has got to be some other games out there..." and eventually found BGG.

I'd be interested in having a conversation about this.

Jeremy

Great! I'll send you a geek-mail to follow up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rennich
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So it's just me and

N/A

then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read your first blog post but couldn't make out what your precise goals were, which makes it hard to comment or discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rennich
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
I read your first blog post but couldn't make out what your precise goals were, which makes it hard to comment or discuss.

Thanks James. I appreciate your willingness to contribute. But that is exactly why I'd like to talk with other SA Pros. It took me 2 years of a Masters degree program, and 4 years as a practitioner to understand my precise goals. It's really hard to explain to someone without the theoretical knowledge as a context.

As I said earlier - I know plenty of people who know one or the other, but not both - so when I try to have a conversation to clarify, strengthen and analyze my ideas, I end up spending more time educating about games or educating about student development, and not really having a conversation that can help me solidify my thoughts on how the two might marry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have N years experience teaching and a PhD, meaning whatever I don't know I read and teach myself. But I sense a certain frustration from trying to bring people up to speed without receiving the fruits of that work, and a certain impatience/urgency to get going now, so I won't suit your needs and thus won't trouble you further. I do find it odd that your goal is educating college students but you have become frustrated educating other professionals to your issue, and that you are insistent on a real-time phone/skype conversation when accommodating different learning styles is a favorite mantra in the teaching workshops I've attended. But I give you the benefit of doubt that this is due to frustration/impatience brought on by previous failed attempts and wish you luck in your pursuit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rennich
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James, you are very insightful. You've got it exactly, I just want to be able to get to the meat of a conversation, without having to bring folks up to speed. I respect your knowledge and experience teaching. And I'm truly grateful that you'd like to help me.

Part of the reason I'd like to have a personal conversation, is that my ideas are not yet fully formed, which makes it difficult for me to articulate them simply - which in turn makes it difficult to write them out.

If you'd like, I can send you a document detailing the values, goals, and learning outcomes that define my work. If you are interested in reading up on Student Development - I suggest starting with

http://www.amazon.com/Student-Development-College-Research-P...

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Their-Own-Way-Self-Development/...

http://www.amazon.com/Involving-Colleges-Successful-Developm...

Again, I thank you for your input - and you aren't troubling me. I feel encouraged by your interest in starting a dialogue, I'm just not ready to articulate my ideas to someone outside my field just yet. I apologize if my posts come off as rude or dismissive - I do not intend them to be (I suppose that's the trouble with 'not in person' conversations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.