6 Posts

Undermining» Forums » Variants

Subject: Battery charging variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the game a couple of times we thought that the battery CHARGE action seemed too underpowered and would only ever be used if there really was nothing else to do. So other than the battery alien tech card, the player's never really bothered with anything other than their initial battery charge.

It seemed a shame since we liked the idea of the battery bar and using it to gain all important extra action(s) (passing through people has only happened once in 3 plays so far), but never worth the investment of actions required to build it up. So we proposed the following addition to the rules:

BUILD action - gain 1 battery cube for each upgrade built.

CONTRACT action - gain 1 battery cube for each contract purchased.

We figured that this could even be explained thematically since your vehicle is resting, therefore it is able to recharge.

We tried this in a 4 player game and it seemed to work well. The only slightly contentious thing is possibly that you get a cube per upgrade built, rather than 1 cube for the whole action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Look for my first published game, Undermining! Coming soon from Z-man games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very interesting, good idea! While I wouldn't agree that it's underpowered (most people use it more and more after repeated play), I see this doesn't actually change it's power, it just puts more batteries into play. I might have to try this one, sounds like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I'll have to try this. I haven't had a problem with Contracts vs. Upgrades, but for those people who have complained that there games have devolved into early contracts as the only strategy, they may want to consider implementing just your battery for upgrade rule to subtly alter the balance for their group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm one of the "early contracts wins" guy. This variant sounds good. I really want to love this game and I think this well certainly help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mopeymatt wrote:
This is very interesting, good idea! While I wouldn't agree that it's underpowered (most people use it more and more after repeated play), I see this doesn't actually change it's power, it just puts more batteries into play. I might have to try this one, sounds like fun.

Actually we did have a few occasions where people were using the CHARGE action in our play with the variant rules. They often did it to soak up their last action whilst sitting on a portal to deliberately block it.

Also with more battery cubes in play in this variant, someone may value a CHARGE action more if they're on an odd number of cubes (essentially buffering that action for later).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is a good idea. It does seem that in a 2 player game we rarely use the battery action except for when using the Alien Tech card. I think we will try this in our next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.