Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Jensen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed there is no space on the board for Thunderstone Shards that will be in the new basic starting deck. I am assuming each player will get 2 to start with and that is it. No buying more from the village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It almost looks like a whole new game (at least my village setup never looked like that!) surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have liked to see some art on the village side. Like a market, or houses and maybe a wall separating it from the dungeon.

But it seems functional. I like the more space for things part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I expected something like that -- given all the whiners who start sobbing like little girls when the village doesn't provide them with obvious combos to go fight the monsters.

Seriously, I'll probably keep the old setup anyway.
I really enjoy the possibility for extreme random combinations, like one game we had where all eight cards in the village were weapons. Everyone remembers that game fondly... something that never would have happened with the new rules.
(We also got a game with no weapon whatsoever -- except for the Dagger -- and another game where there was more villagers than you could shake a stick at... Those were fun!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have missed the thread, but does this mean no more rank 0 / guardians breaching?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
zendragon wrote:
I noticed there is no space on the board for Thunderstone Shards that will be in the new basic starting deck. I am assuming each player will get 2 to start with and that is it. No buying more from the village.

Yes, I don't recall where, but it's been stated somewhere that Thunderstone Shards are not purchasable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zendragon wrote:

Good eye. There's nobody selling Thunderstone shards in a stall in the village square. When you came to the new world, Tala, you brough some shards with you. That's all you get!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:
I might have missed the thread, but does this mean no more rank 0 / guardians breaching?

That's answered in the article:

Quote:
And what happened to rank 0? We’ve left space for it so you can play with Guardians under an older rules set. But for the revised rules, we decided to keep monsters in the dungeon. They’re dangerous enough there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:

I really enjoy the possibility for extreme random combinations, like one game we had where all eight cards in the village were weapons. Everyone remembers that game fondly... something that never would have happened with the new rules.
(We also got a game with no weapon whatsoever -- except for the Dagger -- and another game where there was more villagers than you could shake a stick at... Those were fun!!)

Those do sound kind of fun! Might be a fun one-off to do "mayhem in the armory". I'll make a note of that.

Despite that though, between monster levels and village setup, you can now be assured of a pretty playable game every time, even if you don't have an electronic randomizer, which is pretty sweet, especially when you're teaching new people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:

According to their posts on their website, they left space so you can use the board with the old rules, but the newer ones will no longer be moving to Rank 0 (the monsters are "staying in the dungeon").

Also check out this forum post to see what's on the reverse of this board...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the article - thanks for answering my question even though it was right there, and thanks for sharing all this in advance! I just got hooked on Thunderstone and am already quite excited to see the new version too!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, the thing that bothers me about the new board (and I do think it looks very nice) is that it pretty much prevents any elegant addition of a new card type.
If the designers come up with, say, Contracts, or Quests, or whatnot, well, there's just no place on the board for those.

Of course, the possibility might exist that all the expansions for the next year or so have already been worked out, and they *know* they won't be adding any new card types to the mix.
Should they decide to do that later on, well, they can always print a new board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Seriously, the thing that bothers me about the new board (and I do think it looks very nice) is that it pretty much prevents any elegant addition of a new card type.
If the designers come up with, say, Contracts, or Quests, or whatnot, well, there's just no place on the board for those.

Of course, the possibility might exist that all the expansions for the next year or so have already been worked out, and they *know* they won't be adding any new card types to the mix.
Should they decide to do that later on, well, they can always print a new board.

Or they could make it Thunderstone Legacy and you could put stickers on the board for any new types!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, just wow!! wow wow wow wow wow wow wow

That is so AWESOME!!!

This new edition just moved to #1 on my wishlist with the reveal of the board - and the WILDERNESS!!

This just looks Great!!

THANK YOU AEG!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fanaka66 wrote:
weishaupt wrote:

Or they could make it Thunderstone Legacy and you could put stickers on the board for any new types!

Ha! I love it.

BTW, just noticed the spiral staircase as the backdrop for the dungeon.
Pretty spiffy effect...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
zendragon wrote:

Correct - the Ancient Evil Artefacts and Relics market is somewhat scarce.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:

I love that we are previewing a new edition and you are worrying about what might happen in sets after that .

There is room on the board for other cards. And at the very worst you never actually use all of the slots in the village in a normal game. But in essence we are not at this stage planning a whole new card type beyond these as of where we are in design right now, and we do design a ways in advance. We felt that there are a number of changes in TS:A, and new card types, and we don't want to hit everyone with too much all at once.

Glad you like it!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Back when there was the competition to submit new cards for Thunderstone I suggested a stack of different Familiars such as a Horse (which gave a hero extra strength and attack), a phoenix which provided light and a small attack, and other animals you could use to help fight in the dungeon. I'm interested to see what AEG has done with these as they look like something that will be available in most games (although obviously I will have to wait until next week to really see what these new cards will do).

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that this board will also be helpful for doing the epic Thunderstone variant. (although you might need to tweak your stacks a bit)

This is definitely moving up on my want list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For as much as I cannot stand the new layout, design or look of the new cards, I love everything else I've read of Advance and this board further adds to the positive. Nice work, AEG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
AEG, what is the quality of this board? Is it as thick as the double-sided boards for TOMB/Crypmaster?

The board is thicker than the Dragonspire board, but not as thick as the Tomb Cryptmaster board. It's got decent heft to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why, oh why, is the dungeon hall still backwards?! This game is in English, right? Which we all read left to right, yes? The Village part of the board works with this concept, so why doesn't the dungeon?

Overall I love what I'm seeing here, but I was really hoping that the dungeon would be flipped. When using the board from DS I always turn it upside-down. Inconvenient, but functional. If I get Thunderstone Advance, I'm going to have to stand on my head or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timgoddard wrote:
Why, oh why, is the dungeon hall still backwards?! This game is in English, right? Which we all read left to right, yes? The Village part of the board works with this concept, so why doesn't the dungeon?

I'm not following this? I read it as rank 1 - 2 - 3 - deck? Makes sense in terms of increasing darkness, and then the draw pile which is even beyond rank 3. Apologies if I am missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
speltor wrote:
timgoddard wrote:

I'm not following this? I read it as rank 1 - 2 - 3 - deck? Makes sense in terms of increasing darkness, and then the draw pile which is even beyond rank 3. Apologies if I am missing something.

I and all my friends play: Deck - 3 - 2 - 1
This way you draw from the left-most pile and move everything from left to right. This feels the most natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, my only gripe with the board would be that the piles of cards cover the text labels for each section. I suppose they are still viewable for setup, but since they are using thematic terms such as "Guilds and Taverns" instead of "Heroes Go Here" it would be nice to have the text positioned above pile outlines. A minor gripe I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.