Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I may be able to swing family vacation to Virginia this summer. Looks like it mihgt happen to be the week of Historicon. I am assuming LBG will be there with SMG. Do you guys know what days you will be doing SMG events. I am sure that I will be able to attend Thursday and friday, not so sure about Saturday and I definitely will be driving back to Florida on Sunday.

Hopefully we can have a good showing and get in some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of going to either Cold Wars or Historicon myself. I doubt I can swing both. How are gaming conventions? I have only been to some work conventions, comic cons and one Trekkie one a long time ago but I have not been to a gaming one. Fun? Friendly? Full of introverts like the last comic-con I was at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Rex, I've seen Jeff say they were not sure of all the cons they would go to, but Coldwars and Historicon wre both on the "for sure" list, and I'm for sure they will have SMG with them, but that's as much as I know. (as the marketing guy, trust that I want to know a lot more, so we can suitably promote what they're doing.)

For JeffP,, I've found all game cons I've attended to be fun and welcoming. It's sometimes staggering if you think of how much money and time some folks put into things that you are then invited to play with.

While historical game cons have plenty of "not like the other children" folks represented (and some of those are certainly introverted and/or overly specialized--think about the kid with the goggles in line to see Santa in "the Christmas Story," and replace, "I like the Tin Man," with, "I like jagdtigers" and you'll have it), there are are lots of gregarious folks rolling dice and cheering and having a good, loud time (except in the ASL room, where the main sound is pages being turned...)

Historicon has an amazing range of periods/eras offered, and a lot of "beginners welcome" events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already signed up for Sergeants Miniatures at Cold Wars!

I would love to know what cons they are coming to also. We have NJCon (which has been a smaller convention in central NJ) and it is moving to the NJ Convention and Expo Center this year. Last year I ran a small WW2 game and was thinking about running Sergeants this year, but if the demo team would be there then I wouldn't bother.

As for what the conventions are like they can vary. Historicon can be overwhelming. It was the first convention that I went to and I really was shocked. I only played one game and pretty much just looked at a lot of things.

Personally I like Cold Wars or Fall In better. Not that the venue is different but because they are smaller. Cold Wars always has the possibility of snow and Fall In 2011 actually had a snow storm. For anyone willing to come to New Jersey there is also NJCon (www.njcon.org) which will be held June 8th and 9th 2012.

Despite having been going now for several years I still look for beginner friendly games or "rules taught" games. Usually if they allow children I figure I might be safe. Though some children may understand the rules better than I do. I try to find a subject, game, and GM that I think I will like and go to those games.

You get good games and bad. If I play in something I don't like then I usually avoid that person in the future. There are certain people that I always enjoy playing in. John Michael Priest runs 54mm black powder games using a set of rules called "By the Left Flank" and Ron "Alamo" Prillaman runs games (often 54mm WW2) using a set of rules called "Red, White, Blue, Green, Yellow, Black". I also run games using Ron's "Red, White, Blue" rules. Now I have SMG to look for in the listings!!

Your people can be a mixed bag from anything goes to every detail must reflect reality 100%. You never know. That is why I usually like to find the games that allow children. Usually they are less likely to have people that want total historical accuracy.

At Fall In I played in a Captain America by GASLIGHT game where Captain America and his strike team was attacking a German (Hydra) base. Obviously not too historical but a whole lot of fun. There are actually photos posted on the GASLIGHT BGG page. I also played in a game that was based on a British attack on a fort during the French and Indian War.

They offer everything from ancients to science fiction. Most are historical but find what you are interested in and go with that. There are usually always a lot of WW2 games and American Civil War games.

If going for the first time check out the PEL (Preliminary Event Listing) on the web page. For HMGS Conventions (Cold Wars, Historicon,Fall In) you can find links from www.hmgs.org. That way you get a sense of what is being offered and whether you really want to go or not.

Hope to see you at the gaming tables

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historicon is one I am trying to hit for sure! Just have to work out the details and get the time clear to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.