Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m a block newbie, so I apologize if this question seems foolish.

Do you have to reveal new blocks when you add them to the board during the command phase? I don’t see a rule that says so, but I find it strange that a game with so many location-specific units wouldn’t require this.

Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I play that if it isn't in the rulebook...

Part of the fun is trying to guess if that new levy is a strong legion, weak auxilliary, a powerful defensive balista or a navy. In one game my opponent secretly built up his fleet when I thought he was building land units. It was a shock when he unleashed that navy on my unsuspecting ships.

This is part of what makes this game so great! So much would be lost if I knew what my opponent was building. I just have trust him. But if I had doubts about honesty I probably wouldn't be playing with that person anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there's no revealing when levying new blocks. Although there appears to be no explicit mention one way or the other in the rules, capadotia is right that the intent is fog of war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally try not to assume rules, or carry rules over from one game to another, but this just struck me as so odd that I had to verify.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 2, sidebar:

Fog-of-War
Surprise is an exciting aspect of this game. Except when fighting a battle, active blocks stand upright facing the owner. This promotes bluff and innovative strategies because players are uncertain of the strength or identity of an enemy block.

Also:
Reserve blocks may not fire, retreat, or take hits in Round 1. They are revealed and arrive at the start of Round 2 to take normal turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.