Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with the uptown rules and the blockers rules, and both seemed unsatisfying. With the uptown rules, you have the capturing at all costs to remain at one group. This seems to take away some of the subtle strategies in the game by brute force captures.

With the blockers rules, the opposite seems to be true. Capturing is often as bad as creating a new group that it is rarely used. This game is often won by scores of 1 or 2 that a single capture could put you out of the running.

I am looking for a middle ground, where capturing is costly, but not losing. I am thinking that you use the blockers rules, but you divide the captured part of the score by 2 (or maybe even some higher divisor). Ties will go to those with the fewest tiles captured. So this means that one group with 1 captured tile will score 1.5, beating two groups with no captures. However 2 groups with no captures will beat 1 group with 2 captures of a color (via the tiebreaker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing two player? The game doesn't quite work two player. It's good with 4 or 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Blockers", not "Clockers".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Are you playing two player? The game doesn't quite work two player. It's good with 4 or 5.

Usually 3-5.

russ wrote:
"Blockers", not "Clockers".

blush Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff - I've only played a couple of game but I agree a middle ground is necessary.

Having each captured tile considered as another "group" seems too harsh. But the penalty of only losing the tiebreaker seems too light...as most games finish with score of just 1 or 2.

Maybe limit the number of captured tiles to 2 or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be sure you're not missing an important rule in the updated scoring system:

Each captured tile does not count against you.

Only the captured tiles of the color you captured the most of counts against you.

So part of the strategy is spreading your capturing among your opponents, and planning for that i.e. avoiding getting yourself in a situation where you'll want to capture several of one player's. (Well, unless you've already captured several of some other player's!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lane
United States
Elkhorn
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ - do you mean that if you capture say 2 tiles of each opponent in a three player game that you don't count that as any extra "group"? But if I capture say 3 of one player and 2 of another player, that the 3 captured tiles count as "1 extra group" for game end scoring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claggie wrote:
Russ - do you mean that if you capture say 2 tiles of each opponent in a three player game that you don't count that as any extra "group"? But if I capture say 3 of one player and 2 of another player, that the 3 captured tiles count as "1 extra group" for game end scoring?

No, I mean you see which color have you captured the most of, and then add only that number of tiles, ignoring the other captured tiles.

So in your first example (captured 2 from each opponent) you'd score 2 points and in your second example (captured 3 from one opponent and 2 from the other) you'd score 3 points.

My point was just that in the middle of the game, if I've captured 2 of your tiles and none of Bob's, then it doesn't really hurt me much to capture a tile of Bob's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lane
United States
Elkhorn
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ - when you say "score 2 points", what do you mean? So those count as groups?

Example: Who would win if player one has two groups and no captures at the end; while player two has two groups and one capture? Assuming player three has four groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claggie wrote:
Russ - when you say "score 2 points", what do you mean? So those count as groups?

Exactly. You get 1 point for each of your groups on the board, + 1 point for each captured tile of the color you captured the most of. (And of course you want fewer points than other players.)

Quote:
Example: Who would win if player one has two groups and no captures at the end; while player two has two groups and one capture? Assuming player three has four groups.

Player one wins with 2+0=2 points; player two is in second place with 2+1=3 points; player three is in third place with 4+0=4 points.

If player two had captured 2 tiles (1 tile from player one and 1 tile from player three) it would not have affected player two's score (still 2+1=3). But if player two had captured 2 tiles from player one and 0 tiles from player three, then player two's score would be 2+2=4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.